PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Vollmer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like Vollmer but he will need help against Freeney who is one of the best DEs in the NFL this season.

Freeney could have 5 sacks in this game if Seabass has no help.

Given that the Pats in the last couple games have put a 'TE' outside Volmer to block, I see no reason to believe that suddenly BB will cut back on the blindside protection against Freeney. Protect the Franchise.

Given that the Pats in the last couple games have put a 'TE' outside Volmer to block, I see no reason to believe that suddenly BB will cut back on the blindside protection against Freeney. Protect the Franchise.

I hope not, but if the Pats suddenly need to start scoring in bunches to keep up with Indy we may see that blocking TE used more in multiple wideout passing situations than blocking and that would only leave Faulk to help - neither of the other RBs excell at blocking.

Vollmer has played well, but he hasn't been tested yet. He has played against a lot of big names who are having a bad year. For all the talk of how he did vs. Porter, yesterday was the second game this season where Porter was absent completely from the stat sheet. He also only has 12 tackles and 2.5 sacks in 7 games (he missed a game).

If he starts at LT come next Sunday, it will be the first time Vollmer will face a challenge against a good to great DE/OLB. So far he has faced Kyle Vanden Bosch (24 tackles and 1 sack where he got 5 tackles vs. Vollmer), Stylez White (25 tackles and 3 sacks where he got 5 tackles and 0.5 sacks against Vollmer), and Porter. Freeney is the first DE/OLB that Vollmer will face that is have a good or great year.

The one good thing in Vollmer's favor is that he has long arms and the best way to defend Freeney is to keep him away from your body so he cannot do his spin moves. Long armed, stronger guys tend to be more successful at it since Orlando Pace exposed that weakness in Freeney's game a few years back.

Vollmer may be a better match up with Freeney because of this than Light, but I still doubt Vollmer has supplanted Light at starting LT based on who he has played thus far.

Right now it's even possible that Light returns Sunday

Vollmer is a f**king animal.
It'll be hard to sit him back down when Light comes back.

Same here. As it was pointed out in my Matt Light thread about a month back, he owns Freeney.

LOL, the only guy that owns Freeney is Orlando Pace one game five years ago. The reason our defense has been able to hang in against your offense is bc Brady feels Freeney's pressure. As Brady said a week ago, Freeney simply gets to the QB faster than anyone else. He may not get the sack statistic, but that's bc he's forcing bad throws or getting double teamed.

The one good thing in Vollmer's favor is that he has long arms and the best way to defend Freeney is to keep him away from your body so he cannot do his spin moves. Long armed, stronger guys tend to be more successful at it since Orlando Pace exposed that weakness in Freeney's game a few years back.

Vollmer may be a better match up with Freeney because of this than Light, but I still doubt Vollmer has supplanted Light at starting LT based on who he has played thus far.

Pace was a great matchup bc he was really strong, along with athletic. Vollmer may be athletic, but probably isn't nearly as strong. Long arms is far from a cure all, if it was, Jonathan Ogden wouldn't have gotten embarrassed by Freeney every matchup. Or Joe Thomas wouldn't have gotten pushed into the QB last year.

The thing everyone misses with Freeney is his bullrush. Look at the guy's legs, he is one of the more powerful DEs in the league. Matt Light did competent against him bc Light is very strong, and could handle the bullrush.

Vollmer's done very well given his situation, but I'm not ready to put him 1 on 1 with Freeney yet ... not by any means.

I don't like Light 1-on-1 against Freeney.

As to not facing anyone good, Vollmer has now shut down Vandenbosh, and Porter/Taylor. Taylor isn't what he used to be(but has 5.5 sacks already), but Porter led the AFC in sacks last year, and Vandenbosh is pretty good. No, he hasn't faced Freeney, Ware, and Allen in successive weeks, but its not like hes been facing Pierre Woods and Mike Vrable.

LOL, the only guy that owns Freeney is Orlando Pace one game five years ago. .

Pace did it a couple times. So did Walter Jones, and Ogden. All are big guys with big long arms.

I don't like Light 1-on-1 against Freeney.

As to not facing anyone good, Vollmer has now shut down Vandenbosh, and Porter/Taylor. Taylor isn't what he used to be(but has 5.5 sacks already), but Porter led the AFC in sacks last year, and Vandenbosh is pretty good. No, he hasn't faced Freeney, Ware, and Allen in successive weeks, but its not like hes been facing Pierre Woods and Mike Vrable.

Didn't Vollmer also hold his own against Dumervil when Light got injured in the Denver game?

I am officially going on the record. He's going to get abused by Freeny....
He's looked great and he's the now future. But the small whirling dervish with the initials DF, is gonna eat em up!!

Pace was a great matchup bc he was really strong, along with athletic. Vollmer may be athletic, but probably isn't nearly as strong.

I'm not about to say that the Pats' raw rookie tackle compares to Orlando Pace in his prime, that would be silly. But in terms of pure physical ingredients, Vollmer has the makeup of the guys who have matched up best against Freeney. Vollmer put up an impressive 32 bench reps with those crazy-long arms, and one of the reasons that the Pats drafted him over bigger-name tackles is that he had the strength to be effective at RT as well as the quickness and agility for LT.

Pace did it a couple times. So did Walter Jones, and Ogden. All are big guys with big long arms.

Ogden got absolutely embarrassed on national TV twice. So you couldn't be more wrong there. One of the reasons that the Colts have always beat the Ravens is bc of that matchup.

Freeney has only played Pace once, same for Jones.

I have to disagree here, Matt Light does not own Freeney.

Well, he's sure as hell been working with a long-term lease, then.

We'd better see that. If we don't, we'll see a lot of Freeney killing Tom Brady. People here are going way overboard on Vollmer. There's a reason that he's been getting a lot of help, after all.

People going overboard here? Really?

Ogden got absolutely embarrassed on national TV twice. So you couldn't be more wrong there. One of the reasons that the Colts have always beat the Ravens is bc of that matchup.

Ogden has played freeney a lot more than twice.

Freeney has only played Pace once, same for Jones.

Yes but the last time Ogden faced Freeney was the Colts 15-6 victory during their Super Bowl run and Freeney was held to 0 sacks and 0 tackles. In fact, he was actually penalized after slamming Freeney to the ground in the 4th quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes