PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official: Vick reinstated by NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lisa Olsen incident was a low point but it didn't involve the systematic torture and mistreatment of animals.

I am not feigning anything just making a conscious moral judgment against Vick and dog fighting, not for sexual harassment.

Dogs aren't people.

Its a sad state of affairs that the leauge is so concerned with below avg Qb

Gotta disagree with this point. Vick might not be a prototypical QB, but his worst record as a starter for the Falcons was I think 7-9. All the rest were winning seasons. They fell apart without him, and were lucky that Dimitroff was in charge to take Ryan.

The whole reason every is so concerned about Vick and his re-instatement is because he is a special player who was exciting to watch. Whether this still is the case two years removed from playing adds to the intrigue.

Also, it is July.

But in the end, this isnt really even what its about.
Goddell isn't judging a punishment to fit the crime. He isnt considering what other punishment, consequence or remedies have come before.
Goddell is dealing with public relations for the league.
His intention is only the image of the league, not right or wrong, just or unjust.
The punishment will fit the public perception of the offense.
Deep down, I think that Goddell fears a breakout of criminal behavior ruining the image of the league. There is no doubt the potential exists and the criminal histories of NFL players have been swept under the carpet pretty well to date. I think he sees this program as a preventive measure to keep players from committing crimes due to fear of suspension. I don't suppose it will work well.

The breakout in criminal behavior was there before he got into power and already set in motion personal conduct suspensions like the saga(s) with Pacman Jones...this is just a continuation of his quest against crime in the league.

I dont think change of contrition or even the ownership of a conscience are pertinent to this matter. Except to the likelihood of future offenses.
I think that not being a team guy is very pertinent. And I agree.

Whether he every signs another NFL contract he will still make millions because he is a celebrity and 60% of America is celebrity crazed.

I think the biggest shame in all of this is that Tony Dungy is 'mentoring' poor ex-felon Vick so he can get back to making multi-millions when he could be mentoring the teenagers who need a father figure but instead will sell and use drugs, become gang members and be dead by the time they are old enough to play QB in the NFL.
But then, that won't get your name on ESPN, and there won't be millions of people giving you credit for the 'success' of Michael Vick being on a football field.

I think it's more like 85% of America is celebrity crazed, but that's besides the point.

Dungy's mentoring won't be a waste if it does help. Vick has a history of lying, but who knows, maybe he learned something from that time in jail.

Dogs aren't people.
Yes that is true, but it doesn't mean that I can't judge the torture of animals as a greater wrong than sexual harassment.

As does most of society, hence the criminal punishments for dog fighting and the lack of criminal penalties for sexual harassment.

Again I am not condoning what Zeke Mowatt did, merely making a judgement that what Vick did was far worse.

I have always believed a true fan roots for the laundry. I will be a Pats fan for the rest of my life, even if they have the 28 worst drafts ever in the next 28 years.
I have, therefore, always said that I care about what a player does on the field and don't really care what he is off the field. I accept that there are Michael Vicks in society and whether or not one of them is a New England Patriot doesnt change that. Players exist in my world to be football players not well rounded humans with ideals, morals and values.
Friends, relatives, neighbors, coworkers need to be qualified to the morality test, but a guy I watch on TV 19 times a year does not. Honestly, I don't find being a fan better if I like the player personally.
So, if Michael Vick could make the Patriots a better team (NET OF any distraction he causes) I would want him here. I do not think that is the case however, because I think he would be a malcontent in the role he would be best at here:
Kick and punt returner
Third down RB
Part time WR/RB
Backup, possibly #3 QB. (Personally, I'd play OConnell and run a lot of wildcat with Vick if that became the situaiton)

I must add that I would not overlook the lowlife factor if I lived in the community.

Before anyone tries to rip me for endorsing unsavory behavior, understand that I am saying that I accept the player exists, is a low life and will be playing on an NFL team. Having that not be MY NFL team doesn't serve the social order any better IMO.

This is where we part ways. I can't root for proven sociopaths regardless of what skills they bring to the table. One big reason I'm proud of the Patriots is their emphasis on quality of character.

... maybe he learned something from that time in jail.

He learned what he had to do to get reinstated by Goodell.

I think the biggest shame in all of this is that Tony Dungy is 'mentoring' poor ex-felon Vick so he can get back to making multi-millions when he could be mentoring the teenagers who need a father figure but instead will sell and use drugs, become gang members and be dead by the time they are old enough to play QB in the NFL.
But then, that won't get your name on ESPN, and there won't be millions of people giving you credit for the 'success' of Michael Vick being on a football field.

Dungy is like the Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson of social/spiritual rehab -- going where the spotlight is shining brightest. What Vick needs is psychiatric supervision, not a self-ordained "mentor." If I recall correctly, Vick turned his back on his own father, who told him point blank to cut the dog-fighting crap.

Dogs aren't people.

Nah ... Ya think? Do you believe dogs have feelings, intelligence, and souls?

Last edited:
Dogs aren't people.

True. They are totally innocent creatures, one could characterize them as almost child like in that respect, who have been domesticated and rendered totally dependent on another species that isn't. They suffer and feel pain, and amazingly some are more intelligent (not to mention forgiving) than some of the posters you routinely encounter on an internet message board...

I am no dog lover, but clearly Vick exhibits the well known signs of sociopathic behaviour. He has a track record of direct personal disregard for the well being of fellow creatures capable of suffering. Sociopaths do not sympathise with or understand the feelings of others. This is not currently a curable defect. In marked contrast, Stalworth's irreresponsible actions of a moment's bad judgement had worse consequences than Vick's, in that a human died, but what little data we have indicates him to be contrite. He does not have a years long pattern of behaviour illustrating utter disregard for fellow inhabitants of this planet.

Given that I see Vick as a classic sociopath all too willing to lie and masquerade for personal gain, it's a major enough thing that I would abandon or suspend my decades long behaviour of rooting for the Patriots laundry were he to become a Pat. Admitedly, this is indeed easy to say because given the Krafts' attitude to the serious criminal element in sports, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that he comes here.

Am I wrong about this?

It seems to me that the Team that plans on signing him now have to do so without knowing exactly how much they will pay him.

You dont pay a suspended player right?

So if he is back week 1 he gets full pay if he is back week 5 he only gets 3/4. and basically an owner wont know what he is to pay to the player.

I believe this has no cap implications because you have to fit the full amount under the cap.

any thoughts?

I am no dog lover, but clearly Vick exhibits the well known signs of sociopathic behaviour. He has a track record of direct personal disregard for the well being of fellow creatures capable of suffering. Sociopaths do not sympathise with or understand the feelings of others. This is not currently a curable defect. In marked contrast, Stalworth's irreresponsible actions of a moment's bad judgement had worse consequences than Vick's, in that a human died, but what little data we have indicates him to be contrite. He does not have a years long pattern of behaviour illustrating utter disregard for fellow inhabitants of this planet.

Given that I see Vick as a classic sociopath all too willing to lie and masquerade for personal gain, it's a major enough thing that I would abandon or suspend my decades long behaviour of rooting for the Patriots laundry were he to become a Pat. Admitedly, this is indeed easy to say because given the Krafts' attitude to the serious criminal element in sports, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that he comes here.

Lets hope your right, Im a dog lover, but more facinated at why the leauge, the media all feel this below avg player back in the leauge after his track record before the dog fighting.. I dont care if its Tony Dungy , jesse jackson , al sharpton or any other motivator , Mike Vick was and will always will be a thug.. But he also was a below avg passer.. You want him as a running back fair enough, but to say he was a great or even good QB is ludicrous.. But as long as he stays away from the Pats , the team that signs him gets what he is..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back