PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official: Vick reinstated by NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the guy's point about justice not always being applied fairly depending on the accused's ability to pay off the accuser (or their family) is a good one. In Stallworth's case, that's what happened, and imo the punishment didn't fit the crime. With Vick, there was no victim to pay off and he got everything that was coming to him and more.

In the NFL, the commishioner's rulings on these matters are going to be somewhat arbitrary, it's the nature of the beast. I think Goodell has done a decent job so far.

Well, we disagree on pretty much everything you posted here. And, on that note, you have a great night.

One might argue he was scum for getting behind the wheel after getting drunk and high though.

Yes they might, but thats not the topic at hand. The topic at hand is that he paid for his crime with money instead of prison time.

I am going to leave this particular thread because its pointless to argue with people that don't see eye to eye on legal issues and matters and everybody is right in here so why waste time?

Not to say I am wrong about ANYTHING because I strongly think I am right,but I refuse to think like some of you that buying your way out of a prison sentence is an O.K. thing to do and is disgusting in my book - For some of you its O.K. I guess- I come from the old school that stands for serving the correct time of your crime regardless of your bank account or the lawyers that you can afford

For those who think I am wrong,Just hope that if someone kills a family member of yours in this UNINTENTIONAL but illegal way,hope that at least that they are rich so they can help your retirement fund grow :rolleyes:.

Personally I would have told Donte to enjoy the next 10 years in jail and shove the money offer up his ass,but I am not poor so.....

Last edited:
I am going to leave this particular thread because its pointless to argue with people that don't see eye to eye on legal issues and matters and everybody is right in here so why waste time?

Not to say I am wrong about ANYTHING because I strongly think I am right,but I refuse to think like some of you that buying your way out of a prison sentence is an O.K. thing to do and is disgusting in my book - For some of you its O.K. I guess- I come from the old school that stands for serving the correct time of your crime regardless of your bank account or the lawyers that you can afford

For those who think I am wrong,Just hope that if someone kills a family member of yours in this UNINTENTIONAL but illegal way,hope that at least that they are rich so they can help your retirement fund grow :rolleyes:.

Don't go away mad.....

The family chose money over prison, because they needed it to survive, not to pad their retirement fund.
If someone illegally kills me, I certainly hope it is some rich so my children can be provided for when I'm not here. Their quality of life after I'm gone means a lot more to me than the quality of life of the killer.

Yes they might, but thats not the topic at hand. The topic at hand is that he paid for his crime with money instead of prison time.

I'll agree with you there, but at the same time being amused that neither topic is actually on target to the original topic. :)

July 26th, 2007

Today in court, I pleaded innocent to the allegations made against me.

I take these charges very seriously and look forward to clearing my good name. I respectfully ask all of you to hold your judgement until all of the facts are shown.

Above all, I would like to say to my mom, I am sorry for what she has had to go through and in this most trying of times. It has caused pain to my family and I apologize to my family. I also want to apologize to my Falcons teammates for not being with them at the beginning of spring training.

July 27th, 2009

I would like to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation to Commissioner Goodell for allowing me to be readmitted to the National Football League. I fully understand that playing football in the NFL is a privilege, not a right, and I am truly thankful for opportunity I have been given.

As you can imagine, the last two years have given me time to revaluate my life, mature as an individual and fully understand the terrible mistakes I made in the past and what type of life I must lead moving forward.

Again, I would like to thank the Commissioner for the chance to return to the game I love and the opportunity to become an example of positive change. I would like to also thank Coach Tony Dungy for all of his support and for serving as a mentor.

...and got 10 years probation, which could land him in jail for weeks or months for any infractions with the law no matter how small depending on the judge's discretion.

...and got 10 years probation, which could land him in jail for weeks or months for any infractions with the law no matter how small depending on the judge's discretion.

Right, but the argument is that he bought his way out of jail.
I has never ceased to amaze me that in a capitalist society people who succeed in the system and have money get criticized for their morals because they have it, use it and want more of it.
In this thread Stallworth is being classified whatever he is for making the moronic decision of driving drunk (it would have cost a lot less than 5mill to hire a driver too) but being classified as worse because when it happened he was able to give money to the victims family to make their life better than if he went to prison like a poor drunk driver.
Stallworth and the poor drunk driver share their morality. The fact that Stallworth has money to deal with the consequences doesnt make him worse than the poor drunk driver, and in fact, at least allows some real means of making amends.

Right, but the argument is that he bought his way out of jail.

Right and I'm not arguing against your points but think the simple addition to his sentence that is being overlooked could have a profound impact on him for years to come- he has to stay out of trouble or else he is back in jail. Justice is still being done even if it isn't "justice" to many.

He has terms as part of his sentence that are set up to get him hard if he breaks the terms: He can't drink or he goes to jail. He can't smoke marijuana or he goes to jail. He can't drive or he goes to jail. He can't duck out of his community service or he goes to jail. He can't get into trouble with the law or he goes to jail. He has to abide by the terms, no ifs ands or buts.

Right and I'm not arguing against your points but think the simple addition to his sentence that is being overlooked could have a profound impact on him for years to come- he has to stay out of trouble or else he is back in jail. Justice is still being done even if it isn't "justice" to many.

He has terms as part of his sentence that are set up to get him hard if he breaks the terms: He can't drink or he goes to jail. He can't smoke marijuana or he goes to jail. He can't drive or he goes to jail. He can't duck out of his community service or he goes to jail. He can't get into trouble with the law or he goes to jail. He has to abide by the terms, no ifs ands or buts.

Right. I think crime and punishment is a bigger topic than this board should attack :)
I'm just saying that when Stallworth essentially offered to pay 'restitution' wide out in the open, and the DA considered that a favorable factor in his plea bargaining, it doesnt make Stallworth a 'scumbag'. The DA either.
Imagine if Stallworth had made that offer to the deceased now indigent family as part of his plea bargain and the DA took the attitude in this thread and prosecuted him to the fullest while the family starved?

Right. I think crime and punishment is a bigger topic than this board should attack :)
I'm just saying that when Stallworth essentially offered to pay 'restitution' wide out in the open, and the DA considered that a favorable factor in his plea bargaining, it doesnt make Stallworth a 'scumbag'. The DA either.
Imagine if Stallworth had made that offer to the deceased now indigent family as part of his plea bargain and the DA took the attitude in this thread and prosecuted him to the fullest while the family starved?

People are going out of their way to ignore his actions after the crash, ignore his confession of guilt on the spot, ignore his actions to try to make things right and do his time and pay the consequences for years to come...just rag on him.

Vick and Stallworth are a case of apples and oranges on multiple levels that really need to be separated.

I don't believe Michael Vick has changed.
I don't believe Michael Vick is contrite or even has a conscience.
I don't believe Michael Vick is a team guy.

I DO believe Michael Vick wants to make millions of dollars, and will say/do whatever he must for that to happen.

People are going out of their way to ignore his actions after the crash, ignore his confession of guilt on the spot, ignore his actions to try to make things right and do his time and pay the consequences for years to come...just rag on him.

Vick and Stallworth are a case of apples and oranges on multiple levels that really need to be separated.

But in the end, this isnt really even what its about.
Goddell isn't judging a punishment to fit the crime. He isnt considering what other punishment, consequence or remedies have come before.
Goddell is dealing with public relations for the league.
His intention is only the image of the league, not right or wrong, just or unjust.
The punishment will fit the public perception of the offense.
Deep down, I think that Goddell fears a breakout of criminal behavior ruining the image of the league. There is no doubt the potential exists and the criminal histories of NFL players have been swept under the carpet pretty well to date. I think he sees this program as a preventive measure to keep players from committing crimes due to fear of suspension. I don't suppose it will work well.

I DO believe Michael Vick wants to make millions of dollars, and will say/do whatever he must for that to happen.

Tune is right. But who cares ? I continue to be amazed how much people care about the specifics. Can he play, be productive ? If so, someone will sign him. He's not our friend, so to hell with the other stuff.

If you've been watching this team since before the Lisa Olson incident and you're still watching the team, feigning horror over Vick is ridiculous.

The Lisa Olsen incident was a low point but it didn't involve the systematic torture and mistreatment of animals.

I am not feigning anything just making a conscious moral judgment against Vick and dog fighting, not for sexual harassment.

I dont think change of contrition or even the ownership of a conscience are pertinent to this matter. Except to the likelihood of future offenses.
I think that not being a team guy is very pertinent. And I agree.

Whether he every signs another NFL contract he will still make millions because he is a celebrity and 60% of America is celebrity crazed.

I think the biggest shame in all of this is that Tony Dungy is 'mentoring' poor ex-felon Vick so he can get back to making multi-millions when he could be mentoring the teenagers who need a father figure but instead will sell and use drugs, become gang members and be dead by the time they are old enough to play QB in the NFL.
But then, that won't get your name on ESPN, and there won't be millions of people giving you credit for the 'success' of Michael Vick being on a football field.

Another question you could answer yourself is if Vick was a member of this team prior to the conviction and 2 years later wanted to return to NE's roster after serving his time would you feel the same way?

Good question and I would say yes.

Tune is right. But who cares ? I continue to be amazed how much people care about the specifics. Can he play, be productive ? If so, someone will sign him. He's not our friend, so to hell with the other stuff.

I have always believed a true fan roots for the laundry. I will be a Pats fan for the rest of my life, even if they have the 28 worst drafts ever in the next 28 years.
I have, therefore, always said that I care about what a player does on the field and don't really care what he is off the field. I accept that there are Michael Vicks in society and whether or not one of them is a New England Patriot doesnt change that. Players exist in my world to be football players not well rounded humans with ideals, morals and values.
Friends, relatives, neighbors, coworkers need to be qualified to the morality test, but a guy I watch on TV 19 times a year does not. Honestly, I don't find being a fan better if I like the player personally.
So, if Michael Vick could make the Patriots a better team (NET OF any distraction he causes) I would want him here. I do not think that is the case however, because I think he would be a malcontent in the role he would be best at here:
Kick and punt returner
Third down RB
Part time WR/RB
Backup, possibly #3 QB. (Personally, I'd play OConnell and run a lot of wildcat with Vick if that became the situaiton)

I must add that I would not overlook the lowlife factor if I lived in the community.

Before anyone tries to rip me for endorsing unsavory behavior, understand that I am saying that I accept the player exists, is a low life and will be playing on an NFL team. Having that not be MY NFL team doesn't serve the social order any better IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back