PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Thread to Discuss ANYTHING but Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darius Butler did something that reminded me of my annoyances with Samuel early in his career. Solid coverage on the receiver but never even attempted to find the ball in the air, allowing Bryant's TD.

Is this a case of early DB coaching that has him focused on the receiver and maybe getting down the technique of knocking the ball out of the receivers hands as it gets there?

I'd like an answer to the following question: why does (American) football appeal so much to Americans?

Here's the puzzle. (1) Football is the ultimate in disciplined sport, the submersion of the individual for the good of the team (2) America is a highly individualistic society. Is there some contradiction there? Is either of (1) or (2) false?

P.S. The first American beer I ever drank was a Budweiser -- at a July 4 picnic, with an ear of corn. I thought it tasted great. Obviously, it's gone downhill since then. ;)

To get a little philosophical here, I think that it's about the idea of trying to win by imposing ingenuity and structure to a chaotic environment. The team that wins it all is typically an interesting blend of passionate, committed, disciplined, consistent, lucky, and intelligent. As far as the Americans as individualists point, I can certainly see where you're going with that, but I wouldn't draw too general conclusions from it.

First off, I think the number of Americans who think of themselves or their country in terms of liberal philosophy that it was founded on* is actually pretty limited.

*don't jump on me for political connotations, guys- liberalism as a philosophy does not translate to the American political spectrum

In any functioning society, the individual will become a part of the greater whole. That's just as true in America as it is for anywhere else. Where the individualism comes in is that, right or wrong (I don't want to start a political debate here), we tend to think that nobody can decide better where the individual belongs in that structure than the individual him/herself, and nobody can decide how to allocate his/her resources better than that same individual.

I think, or hope at least, that Americans realize as much as anyone else that a properly oriented, well constructed, high-functioning group will always exceed the sum of its parts.

What is it with scallops and shrimp from China? We have some of the best seafood waters in the world. Why do we have to get seafood from China? I had some Chinese scallops last week and they were terrible.

Darius Butler did something that reminded me of my annoyances with Samuel early in his career. Solid coverage on the receiver but never even attempted to find the ball in the air, allowing Bryant's TD.

Is this a case of early DB coaching that has him focused on the receiver and maybe getting down the technique of knocking the ball out of the receivers hands as it gets there?

DB coaching always starts with telling the CBs to never take your eyes off the f'ing ball. You always start with that before focusing on hand drills, otherwise what's the point of hand drills when you have no idea when to put them up or reach in without causing PI?

To me it's just a rookie brainfart (e.g., adjusting to transitioning to the NFL). I don't recall him doing that in college.

Last edited:
What the title says...anything or anyone but!

Fair warning: I will report any posts that refer to him by name, number, initials, nicknames, oblique references such as "you know who" or "he who shall not be named in this thread", etc. etc. :p

Other than that, have at it!

Question: Do you believe by mentioning him in your thread title your post is disqualified thus voiding this entire thread? Seems hypocritical to start a topic discussing how not to discuss someone. In fact, the rest of the board is full of topics that refer to nothing about him. Why not start an unrelated post? Will the conversation undoubtedly turn to him?

My point here is by starting this thread you are only fueling the fire you are attempting to put out with this topic. Make sense?

Can we debate whether or not to cut Kevin Faulk again... I love those threads... Hey, we could save 100K by cutting the best 3rd down back in the league, what are we waiting for?

Or how about the shroud of turan. I watched two history/discovery channel specials on that this past week. After the first one, I was convinced it was a fake. Then, after the second one, they had me believing it could be the real deal.

Am I just tooo naive or are those dang shows very persuasive?

He is the most interesting man in the world.......

TMIM.jpg

Question: Do you believe by mentioning him in your thread title your post is disqualified thus voiding this entire thread? Seems hypocritical to start a topic discussing how not to discuss someone. In fact, the rest of the board is full of topics that refer to nothing about him. Why not start an unrelated post? Will the conversation undoubtedly turn to him?

My point here is by starting this thread you are only fueling the fire you are attempting to put out with this topic. Make sense?

Long answer: From what I've seen lately, yes, just about any thread can quickly devolve into a discussion about...and actually, I'm fine with that. I'm not the thread police type, and I tend just not to participate in topics that don't interest me. Mostly, I've been meaning to start a thread that's sort of a repository for random thoughts that perhaps aren't thread-worthy by themselves. So here it is. Then I decided to dual-purpose it as a haven for anyone who wants to escape a certain "popular" subject.

Short answer:
Lighten up, Francis! :p

Last edited:
No worries...what I lack in single-mindedness I make up for with persistence!

:beatingcoming:

Here's a thought: Too early to start contemplating that the Pats may produce another ROY this season? I think I'll put a preliminary ballot in for Edelman as OROY. Assuming he comes back quickly and steps right back into things. What say you?

EDIT: And I just 5 starred my own thread! HA!

Miles Austin

He's an old washed up TV actor living in a trailer park near LA.

24 inches of snow in metro Denver by tomorrow. Supposed to snow for 39 hours straight.
:p

Here's a question for you guys to ponder. Do you think that George McFly would win in a re-match with Biff Tannen, or do you think that he simply caught Biff off guard when he punch Biff's lights out and Biff would crush him in a re-match?

Here's a question for you guys to ponder. Do you think that George McFly would win in a re-match with Biff Tannen, or do you think that he simply caught Biff off guard when he punch Biff's lights out and Biff would crush him in a re-match?

LMAO! Anyone named BIFF is really a wimp so I am going with George McFly ;) I'm such a girl sorry!

Disclaimer: Sorry to those named Biff but I do in fact have my money on G-McFly

Last edited by a moderator:
...Too early to start contemplating that the Pats may produce another ROY this season?...

Miles Austin

What? Did he sign with the Pats since Sunday? Excellent! :p

But yeah, good on him. Maybe Romo finally found someone to bail him out post TO. You know, in case that whole Roy Williams thing doesn't pan out. :eek:

Last edited:
LMAO! Anyone named BIFF is really a wimp so I am going with George McFly ;) I'm such a girl sorry!

Disclaimer: Sorry to those named Biff but I do in fact have my money on G-McFly

Biff Tannen is no wimp! He's the great grandson of Buford "Maddog" Tannen, fastest gunslinger in 1880's Hill Valley! :cool:

Pearl Jam is neither a pearl nor a jam. Discuss, discuss.

Biff Tannen is no wimp! He's the great grandson of Buford "Maddog" Tannen, fastest gunslinger in 1880's Hill Valley! :cool:

Nevermind the fact that he ultimately sired Griff Tannen, the baddest flying skateboard rider this side o' china.

Answer: From what I've seen lately, yes, just about any thread can quickly devolve into a discussion about...and actually, I'm fine with that. I'm not the thread police type, and I tend just not to participate in topics that don't interest me. Mostly, I've been meaning to start a thread that's sort of a repository for random thoughts that perhaps aren't thread-worthy by themselves. So here it is. Then I decided to dual-purpose it as a haven for anyone who wants to escape a certain "popular" subject.

Oh, and...lighten up, Francis! :p

I notice you drink gin and kool-aid...yet another reference to MARONEY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down