PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Steelers vs. Pats POST game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post. I agree with everything but attacking the pocket, except in obvious long yardage downs. My guess is that the Patriots focus on taking Mendenhall out of the game and playing conservative pass defense, forcing Ben to throw into coverage. The LBs, DBs (and Vince, the pickoff machine) will look to cover and jump routes all day and go for picks and strips. The Jets and the Cowboys games were remarkable because in both, the QBs had to check down consistently to underneath stuff. Ben doesn't have that discipline nor does his coach discourage him from throwing deep. This could be a big game for McCourty who excels in a gambling, ball-skill focused game.

When we've played Ben, we've had a consistent history of sending an extra man or more to get after him gambling that the coverage looks we throw him will cause him to hold onto the ball longer than he has to (not that he needs any help doing so). I don't think we'll veer away from this.

I wouldn't bank on it. Roethlisberger has been begging to use the no-huddle more often and Ben sure is capable at being dangerous in that, but our offensive coordinator is a stiff. Maybe this would be the week we actually do use more of the no huddle, but I wouldn't expect anything fancy, especially since we have been playing musical chairs on our offensive line as of late. I expect to line up, maybe 5 wide or double tight sets and use what N.E gives us. That's been our game plan the past several weeks.

IMHO, New England isn't the team to try crap over, we need all the smart and logical downs we can afford. One hiccup and Brady will have his team up by 21 real quick.

I think he would be dangerous to his OWN team if he were allowed to use the no-huddle more often in that it gives him an excuse to lean towards Favresque improvisation instead of sticking to the playbook. I think your OC is doing the team a favor by restricting whenever Ben can freestyle.

Hey guys, Steelers fan here. Just thought I'd talk this weekends matchup with you guys. I always have a good time going on other fans' message boards and talking quality football.

My thought on the game is as follows:

These next two weeks are absolutely HUMONGOUS to see where the Steelers stand in the AFC and as a contender in the league (next 2 games are N.E/Balty at home.) When it comes down to it, if we were to split, we'd rather lose to you guys because Baltimore is an absolute MUST WIN for us and there's no way to sugarcoat that. I assure you, I am NOT sold on this 2011 Steelers squad but we have made strides week by week in our ailing positions.

With that said, there is no quarterback in this entire league that could ever crack the Pittsburgh Steelers zone blitz defense than Tom Brady. I think we've only beaten him ONCE in his whole career and that was in the 2004 regular season. All the others, Brady schooled us like red-headed step children, reached back around and ***** slapped us AND our mothers.

Even though the Pats defense is giving up a huge chunk of yardage as of late, their offense is still practically unstoppable and that takes pressure off of a defense playing on the balls of their feet. It seems as if the Pats are trying to become more balanced this season and the Steelers have STRUGGLED mightily with balanced offense's that sprinkles in a run attack (Baltimore, Houston.)

The Steelers have officially become an air-it-out attacking offense and we have some STUD receivers, maybe the fastest & quickest in the league but staying toe to toe with Brady is a tough feat. We'd have to score atleast 30 to win it IMHO.

But the one thing that scares me, is your Tight Ends. Hernandez is that typical Tight End that the Steelers lose sleep over. All the years that I've been covering the Steelers, big, fast, physical and stud TE's scorch our scheme and Brady has just that in his arsenal to play with, not to mention Welker underneath and that Y.A.C.

When it's all said and done, I'm hoping we can get pressure up the middle and force Brady's rhythm off but I expect N.E to win this one by 13 or so.

Class Act pal. Steelers are still a badazz contender. Don't sell yourself short. this game still worrys me. Our D is getting together, but has some ways to go yet. Be a good game none the less.

I'm interested to see if our defense will continue to improve or take a step back this week.
Last 3 games they have gotten better week to week in the passing game and have been pretty solid over all in the run stopping department.

As the above Steeler fan mentioned the Steelers pretty much are a throw first team this season and Ben has been right up there with the best QB's so far passing wise. I can't see this defense doing what Baltimore did to them blitz wise so I'm wondering how much pressure we'll try as well as how good the coverage will be. No doubt the speed of those WR's is amazing except of course Heinz Ward who is pretty much snail like nowadays.
Hoping to see zone out of the 2ndary because it certainly seems to be helping.

I see Pittsburgh trying to take away the TE's and failing miserably. They really don't have the personal to do it. They are going to try and Welker and Branch are going to burn them if they do. They need a NT that brings pressure up the middle to really get that defense going again.

If Roethlisberger can burn our 2ndary for a lot of points they definately have a chance. Personally I see this game being close. Maybe even a loss if they can step up and cause the turnovers and score consistently. Predicting 33-30 Pats in a close one.

I think he would be dangerous to his OWN team if he were allowed to use the no-huddle more often in that it gives him an excuse to lean towards Favresque improvisation instead of sticking to the playbook. I think your OC is doing the team a favor by restricting whenever Ben can freestyle.

It's actually the other way around. Ben is one of the greats in the 4th QRT, mostly because in those key situations, the no-huddle is called upon in tight situations with Ben calling his own plays. Roethlisberger has been magnificent in the Steelers no huddle. The only reason why Arians doesn't let him loose is because the patch-work offensive line. Other than that, the numbers speak loudly in favor of Ben when calling his own calls under center.

As for Ben's style, it's the perfect style for how we play here in Pittsburgh. Brady had his style, but so does Ben and he is equally effective in doing it. Ben gets himself in trouble but the times he extends the play and makes something happen certainly outweighs the bad decisions, 80-20. Live by the sword, die by the sword. In this situation, Ben has been one helluva menace to opposing defense because of it, regardless.

Last edited:
Class Act pal. Steelers are still a badazz contender. Don't sell yourself short. this game still worrys me. Our D is getting together, but has some ways to go yet. Be a good game none the less.

The Steelers may be a bada$$ contender, but over the last decade, the Steelers have owned 30 NFL teams but 1 and that's New England. I guess it's also fitting to say that over the past decade, this league is dominated by no other than New England & Pittsburgh.

Should be a great game (crosses fingers.):cool:

Last edited:
As for Ben's style, it's the perfect style for how we play here in Pittsburgh. Brady had his style, but so does Ben and he is equally effective in doing it.

what do you mean "had" his style...he's STILL playing....

The Steelers maybe a bada$$ contender, but over the last decade, the Steelers have owned 30 NFL teams but 1 and that's New England. I guess it's also fitting to say that over the past decade, this league is dominated by no other than New England & Pittsburgh.

Should be a great game (crosses fingers.):cool:

Colts had more wins over that timeframe than both. Steelers had 4 seasons with less than 10 wins from 00-10. I would hardly say they 'owned' everyone in the NFL but the Pats during that time.

I wish fans wouldn't act like the game is already over..lol..My goodness...

It's strange isn't it. Given the Steelers fearsome reputation in the NFL I'm never concerned when the Patriots play them. Go figure.

As for Ben's style, it's the perfect style for how we play here in Pittsburgh. Brady had his style, but so does Ben and he is equally effective in doing it.

what do you mean "had" his style...he's STILL playing....

"s" and "d" are right next to each other, gimmie a pass on that one, haha.:rocker:

The problem for the Steelers in this game is that they don't cover well enough in their base if the Pats spread them out. Not by going 3/4 wide but by sending Hernandez and a RB split out. When they go nickel, they now have Troy Polamaludingdong and a horde of guys (Taylor, McFadden, Gay, Clark) that Brady seems to be able to handle. I actually thought drafting Brown/Allen this year was smart for that very reason...but they haven't seen the field much yet.

On offense, the key seems simple. If the OL can give Ben enough time to attack downfield, the Steelers should be in good shape. If not, it should be a long day for them and possibly a short day for Ben.

Colts had more wins over that timeframe than both. Steelers had 4 seasons with less than 10 wins from 00-10. I would hardly say they 'owned' everyone in the NFL but the Pats during that time.

Since 2001, the Steelers have played in 5 AFC Championship games. The Patriots played in 5 AFC Championship games. That's 10 years worth of either New England or Pittsburgh in the Title game, representing the AFC Conference.

Of course, Manning and the Colts are the regular season Madonna's but Manning's playoff record rivals the choke artist of Brett Favre's horrible playoff tenure. It's all about the post-seasons IMHO.

With active QB's W's in the post-season it's Brady and Roethlisberger at 1 & 2.

I hate and loathe the Steelers more than any other NFL team....yes,more than the Jets

And to get me to get you to hate the Steelers even more,remember this Steelers fan who made money in 2008 at Brady's expense....

bernard-pollard-fan-club-tee.jpg

O.k.,now officially join me for extreme hatred for most Steeler fans and team hatred this weekend :singing:

I hate and loathe the Steelers more than any other NFL team....yes,more than the Jets

And to get me to get you to hate the Steelers even more,remember this Steelers fan who made money in 2008 at Brady's expense....

bernard-pollard-fan-club-tee.jpg

O.k.,now officially join me for extreme hatred for most Steeler fans and team hatred this weekend :singing:

So there are disgusting fans out there, so be it. Is that nasty and uncalled for? Absolutely but I assure you that you will find very low class fans here and there with every fanbase known to man and that will never change. That's the nature of the game & competition.

Take it as a compliment. Steelers fans weren't the only fans that exhaled when Brady went down, the entire NFL did so as well. It's good to be hated and loathed. It's the ultimate high, it means you're doing something right. I'd rather be hated beyond belief than to be felt sorry for like the Lions or Bengals of the world when everyone gets all warm and fuzzy inside when they win.

New England is THEE most hated, by far and I know the Steelers are right up there with them along with Dallas. Personally, I love it and fanbase's should embrace being hated.

Last edited:
Unless something drastic happens, I just don't see us losing this game.

On the other end of the ball, I expect (and a lot of posters will like this) us to be fairly aggressive on defense, to blitz and send in an extra man, or have the line bring the stunt, and occasional double-stunt just to get pressure on Ben, who I view as a bigger version of Favre, big on broken plays and thin on playbook smarts. The more the ball stays in his hand, the more of a chance a big play has to develop, so rather than allow him to pump-fake everyone to death, it's better to get a free man in after him. The Cards were able to beat him up and I view this very favorably because our line is better and much more sophisticated.

The Steelers offense has pretty much remained the same over the years, and I strongly suspect that has a lot to do with Ben R's limited cerebral capacities at QB. You'll notice he almost never calls protection (Pouncey does that) so he'll rarely change things at the line. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go in at 3-4, but if we stay with the four man front, I expect us to go okie on Pouncey, so he experiences stress while trying to figure out protection. The one problem we will have is containing Wallace, the new emerging threat- he and Ben have been clicking lately, and he is a burner so it's not as simple as slapping bracket coverage on him. I think you start with a chip and hit him hard coming off the line, and drive him into the middle of the field where he has to think about getting hit.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong PP, but I think I'm going to disagree somewhat with you here on how the Pats are going defend the Steelers.

I do think we;ll blitz. We do it every game to some degree, but I do NOT think it will be a staple of our defensive strategy. If there is one thing that should be clear to us by this point, is that Ben is MORE dangerous and more difficult to defend out of the pocket, than in it. For that reason ALONE, I don't see much blitzing from the Pats this week.

In fact I think won't be an all out rush from the 4 guys who DO end up rushing the passer. More like a "controlled rush" making sure you keep leverage and your outside shoulder free as you rush. The object will be more to create the "sense" of pressure than to outright sack him. The object is to make him move his feet. Go to secondary receivers. But it all cases keep him in the pocket

On the outside the Pats will try to minimize the big play. There will be room underneath for Wallace, et al. but if the Pats have to shut down one thing, it will be to keep Wallace from having a huge day. I think we'll see man defense only as a change up.

From what I hear, things are improving on the Pittsburgh's OL to some degree. But the reason it won't be a big blitz or sack day will be more by design

well...to be quite honest...it feels rather nice to be hated by Steeler fans...at least their team has a history of success and has earned the right to run their mouths....OUR biggest problem is with these green clad 43 year straight total losers who crawl out from the woodwork every time that Fatso Fogarty the Foot Felon opens his yap...it's like we have flypaper with all these gnats stuck to it,glued to the bottom of our shoe....constantly buzzing like a bunch of just hatched bugs......bzzzzzzzzzzz...you will fear our two straight playoff losses!!!!!!..bzzzzzzzzzzz....Sanchez's ceiling...UNLIMITED!!!!.....bzzzzzzzzzz.....Coach Westhof says Sal Alosi learned that sideline tripping formation from Bill Belichick...we KNEW it!!!!.....Goodell works for Bob Kraft ,who pays him off to fix games!!!!....bzzzzzzzzz

size500_Green-Bug-Parade_500.jpg

Maybe I'm reading this wrong PP, but I think I'm going to disagree somewhat with you here on how the Pats are going defend the Steelers.

I do think we;ll blitz. We do it every game to some degree, but I do NOT think it will be a staple of our defensive strategy. If there is one thing that should be clear to us by this point, is that Ben is MORE dangerous and more difficult to defend out of the pocket, than in it. For that reason ALONE, I don't see much blitzing from the Pats this week.

In fact I think won't be an all out rush from the 4 guys who DO end up rushing the passer. More like a "controlled rush" making sure you keep leverage and your outside shoulder free as you rush. The object will be more to create the "sense" of pressure than to outright sack him. The object is to make him move his feet. Go to secondary receivers. But it all cases keep him in the pocket

On the outside the Pats will try to minimize the big play. There will be room underneath for Wallace, et al. but if the Pats have to shut down one thing, it will be to keep Wallace from having a huge day. I think we'll see man defense only as a change up.

From what I hear, things are improving on the Pittsburgh's OL to some degree. But the reason it won't be a big blitz or sack day will be more by design

What I mean by fairly aggressive is sending an extra man in more often that we usually do- I am basing my judgement off last year's game when we did that and Ben got hit, sacked, and pressured a respectable amount of time. Ben is not the kind of player (and neither is the Steelers offense) who will throw you off by mixing up his count or drop steps so the rhythm is fairly easy to get used to and I think BB likes to use that as an opportunity to put his defense through more complicated schemes.

It's actually the other way around. Ben is one of the greats in the 4th QRT, mostly because in those key situations, the no-huddle is called upon in tight situations with Ben calling his own plays. Roethlisberger has been magnificent in the Steelers no huddle. The only reason why Arians doesn't let him loose is because the patch-work offensive line. Other than that, the numbers speak loudly in favor of Ben when calling his own calls under center.

As for Ben's style, it's the perfect style for how we play here in Pittsburgh. Brady had his style, but so does Ben and he is equally effective in doing it. Ben gets himself in trouble but the times he extends the play and makes something happen certainly outweighs the bad decisions, 80-20. Live by the sword, die by the sword. In this situation, Ben has been one helluva menace to opposing defense because of it, regardless.

Like you say, he lives by the sword and dies by it- and sometimes a hurry up no-huddle works because of its nature of madness. The defense will never truly settle or know what's coming, but sometimes neither does the offense- it's basically a crapshoot that's best used only when you have no other options (i.e., the 4th quarter, like you say). But to use it on a regular basis is inviting disaster, for someone like Ben who can't read or set protection to save his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes