PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Red Sox Choke Thread

Disgusting, and easily predictable. All went exactly according to script. This group of overpaid, overweight ****ies imploded mercifully before being embarrassed in the playoffs. I'm rooting for the Rays. You gotta love the heart. I pray they blow this team up before next year. Goodbye Youk, Lackey, Tito, JD Loozah, Scutaro and a few others to be named later. These morons better resign Ellsbury asap!

At least we ain't Baltimore. Our "World Series" is the actual series. Their "World Series" is eliminating some other team from the post season.

Disgusting, and easily predictable. All went exactly according to script. This group of overpaid, overweight ****ies imploded mercifully before being embarrassed in the playoffs. I'm rooting for the Rays. You gotta love the heart. I pray they blow this team up before next year. Goodbye Youk, Lackey, Tito, JD Loozah, Scutaro and a few others to be named later. These morons better resign Ellsbury asap!
oh cmon you cant trash youk. that guy is all heart and max effort all the time. hes the redsox future dh in a year or 2. replace tito with theo and i like your sh!t list. the redsox need fresh eyes in the gm box.

oh cmon you cant trash youk. that guy is all heart and max effort all the time. hes the redsox future dh in a year or 2. replace tito with theo and i like your sh!t list. the redsox need fresh eyes in the gm box.
A full organizational purge has to be on the cards insano. Last year's patch work effort was better than the talent laden 2011 version.

Will take a few days to digest this then start looking at what would be a reasonable outcome from this.

A full organizational purge has to be on the cards insano.
yup it sure does. words cant describe how bad that team choked. mind boggling. they need a full overhaul. i never want to see lackey in a sox uniform ever again. and hes not the only one.

and it's like the yanks hate you guys so much, they prolonged the game, until they knew your outcome....
Sorry, but this is a load of crap. The very last thing the Yankees wanted last night was to go extras. They just wanted to get the heck out of there and get home to NY so they can be well rested for Friday.

The Yankees didn't exactly have their stars out on the field in the 13th inning, but I guarantee you the guys who were out there were giving it their all.

You would of thought to make up a 9 game deficit that the Rays would of had to have gone like 22-5 for the month of September? Nope, a mere 17-10 is all it took.

Total choke job by Beckett and Lester. Epstein with some really good signings and some really bad ones. I don't fault him for the Crawford signing because he didn't even come close to the player he was. However Lackey was a complete reject and not the kind of role model I want there in Boston.

Glad I disconnected myself away from baseball a few years back. I follow the Red Sox and route them on but I am certainly the casual fan nowadays which made the sting of this one very little. The season is too long, the games are too long and frankly the game is just boring to me. They took away the pitchers ability to protect the plate due to safety concerns which I think has hurt the game immensely. And to be honest football, is going in the same direction with all of these rule changes. The world we live in is really getting soft.

At least we ain't Baltimore. Our "World Series" is the actual series. Their "World Series" is eliminating some other team from the post season.

No offense, but I take serious issue with this post. The Orioles played hard to the last play just for the sake of pride, something the Red Sox - who had more tangible things to play for - did not do. So F**k the Sox, and kudos to the Orioles for playing the game for the sake of playing it.

It's as if we have truly become the Yankees. The Red Sox payroll is TWICE what the Orioles is, naturally we should have higher expectations. Naturally our team is going to have more success than them, so should we really frown upon the Orioles or their fans for celebrating what success they can obtain in this screwed up league devoid of a salary cap? We can spend twice as much as their team and win some more games, and still miss the playoffs - just like them. Whoopty-doo.

This Sox team disgusts me now. And so does what has happened to "Sox Nation."

Last edited:
No offense, but I take serious issue with this post. The Orioles played hard to the last play just for the sake of pride, something the Red Sox - who had more tangible things to play for - did not do. So F**k the Sox, and kudos to the Orioles for playing the game for the sake of playing it.

It's as if we have truly become the Yankees. The Red Sox payroll is TWICE what the Orioles is, naturally we should have higher expectations. Naturally our team is going to have more success than them, so should we really frown upon the Orioles or their fans for celebrating what success they can obtain in this screwed up league devoid of a salary cap? We can spend twice as much as their team and win some more games, and still miss the playoffs - just like them. Whoopty-doo.

The fact that Sox fans spend and O's fans don't isn't the Sox's fault. Baltimore isn't exactly Enid, Oklahoma in the demographics department, there's plenty of people there and plenty of money too. I'm tired of people like you attacking the Sox for spending what they have. What's John Henry supposed to do with the money? Pile it under his mattress?

Oh and if you don't think the O's have a chip on their shoulder due to the fact that the only games they sell out are games when Sox fans show up, you need re-asses your thinking. Have you even been watching these games over the last few years? Didn't you notice the fact that there's cheering at Camden Yards when the Sox score or a Sox pitcher gets out of a tough inning? That sort of cheering for the other team doesn't happen most anywhere else.

They played merely for the pride of the game:rofl:

The fact that Sox fans spend and O's fans don't isn't the Sox's fault. Baltimore isn't exactly Enid, Oklahoma in the demographics department, there's plenty of people there and plenty of money too. I'm tired of people like you attacking the Sox for spending what they have. What's John Henry supposed to do with the money? Pile it under his mattress?

Oh and if you don't think the O's have a chip on their shoulder due to the fact that the only games they sell out are games when Sox fans show up, you need re-asses your thinking. Have you even been watching these games over the last few years? Didn't you notice the fact that there's cheering at Camden Yards when the Sox score or a Sox pitcher gets out of a tough inning? That sort of cheering for the other team doesn't happen most anywhere else.

They played merely for the pride of the game:rofl:

Where did I say the O's didn't have a chip on their shoulder? I said nothing of the sort. But naturally, that would equate to pride. So, I'm not sure how we're even disagreeing since we both are saying the same thing.

The point is, the Orioles had more fire last nite than we did - and that's truly embarrassing.

And I'll continue to attack the Sox for spending their money like a bunch of a-holes. To use their money to cover up their own mistakes and to continue to act like the Yankees are somehow different than them, and use the Yankees money as a crutch - WHICH THEY DO - is 100% embarrassing.

If they want to spend every dollar Henry has, sure, why not. But to go out and spend it on Lackey, Drew, Dice-K, Renteria, Clement, Crawford, Lugo, etc., etc. and then to whine about the NYY having more money than us is despicable. There's no accountability or repercussions for their frivolous, mind-numbingly bad spending of their own money.

That said, I don't blame the Red Sox for the inequities of the MLB and its lack of a salary cap. I just don't want to hear about the Yankees and their salaries. We are the Yankees now. We are no different. And if any Red Sox fan is genuinely happy about that, then they probably haven't been a Red Sox fan for very long.

The ownership and general management of this team has always been very New York Yankee like and represented the things most Boston sports fans dislike, and that's regrettable - but it wasn't an issue when this team had strong personalities like in the early part of last decade - or when their youth contributed to a WS ring, like in 07.

Now, the team is nearly devoid of anything rootable save for their jerseys, and that is depressing.

I can only think of 3, maybe 4 guys on this team I actively root for, most of the rest I am ambivalent towards, and some I straight up dislike. Does anyone feel differently these days?

Last edited:
So according to this site

Cot's Baseball Contracts: Boston Red Sox

upcoming contract situations

Papi in his final year (do they resign? My guess no)
Lackeys contract a mess
10:$18M, 11:$15.25M, 12:$15.25M, 13:$15.25M, 14:$15.25M
At least that 18 mill is already dead money.
Drew in his final year (cannot see him come back)
Dice K heading into the final year next year (probably to have a season ending injury in mid may)
Papelbon in one year 12 million deal

Thats a reasonable amount of money to be cleared up soon.

Personally I would love someone to take Lackey and 50% of his remaining contract. He has been a disaster.

Hoping Bucholz stays fit next year.
Would like to see them to a deal with Aceves whos been extremely solid.

Just very disappointing year. But yeah. It was a complete choke.

Last edited:
i can't remember the last time 2 teams in the same season had such epic september chokes as the braves and red sox

how do you blow a 3-2 lead in baltimore with the star closer, and 2 outs none on , knowing you need the win to at least force a playoff

and it's like the yanks hate you guys so much, they prolonged the game, until they knew your outcome....

Anyone have a video or could give a description of Scutaro's "stop running". Just read a snippet in the Herald and didn't see the game. Before I rant, need to know what happened.

So according to this site

Cot's Baseball Contracts: Boston Red Sox

upcoming contract situations

Papi in his final year (do they resign? My guess no)

The prospect of Youk being a full time 3B player is wishful thinking. i would rather see Youk become our DH and let Papi move on. As great as Ortiz has been at times he also hampers us due to his lack of mobility. Youk could be our DH and he could play perhaps 20 games at 1st and 20 games at 3rd. His career would be prolonged and as he proved last year he has a greater bat when healthy.

Hopefully they give Middlebrooks a shot at 3rd.
Use the money saved with letting Ortiz and Drew go and spend on a quality right fielder in FA or by trade.

As great as Ortiz has been at times he also hampers us due to his lack of mobility.
Guy hit .309 with 29 HRs and 96 RBIs. I wish we had 9 guys in the lineup who "hampered" us as badly as Ortiz does.

The prospect of Youk being a full time 3B player is wishful thinking. i would rather see Youk become our DH and let Papi move on. As great as Ortiz has been at times he also hampers us due to his lack of mobility. Youk could be our DH and he could play perhaps 20 games at 1st and 20 games at 3rd. His career would be prolonged and as he proved last year he has a greater bat when healthy.

Hopefully they give Middlebrooks a shot at 3rd.
Use the money saved with letting Ortiz and Drew go and spend on a quality right fielder in FA or by trade.

In all seriousness Red Sox FO needs to take step back in order to move their team forward. They need to find out what really they have from their farm system with likes of position players like Lavarnway, Lowrie, Reddick, Kalish, Middlebrooks, Iglesias, Lars Anderson and pitching. Either you trade a bunch of them for major pitching help, or commit to playing and developing them

Shortsighted view like Giving away a Masterson for 1 year rental VMart for stupid. Giving up on a Beltre after the guy showed he could handle the pressure of Boston and played good Defense and showed he can hit was even more again.

They did develop playersfew years ago with Pedroia, Youk, Ellsbury, Lester, Papelbon etc but lately only Buccholz to show.

Continuing to throw out 45yr ol Wakefield, 40 yr old Tek, bringing in useless players like Lugo, Lackey, Drew and bunch of patchwork hasbeens with a massively bloated payroll has turned the Red Sox exactly into the Yankees, with the exception that the Sox keep puking come every August/September.

Better hope Crawford doesn't go mental like Rent-a-wreck and Lugo. AGon better wake up too - this aint SD where losing is acceptable. The "God" excuse won't fly

For a team with nothing to gain, Baltimore played great in the last three games. On Tuesday night, 2 Orioles batters had at least 10 pitch at bats against Papelbon in the 9th. How often do you see 1 batter do that? In Wednesday's game, the commentators were talking about how it took great throws to get Ortiz at second and Scutaro at the plate and Baltimore executed them perfectly. If the Red Sox had played like that for one or two series' this month, they would be in the postseason.

The only thing that would bother me as a Baltimore fan would be wondering where this sort of intensity and effort was for the last 5 months.

Anyone have a video or could give a description of Scutaro's "stop running". Just read a snippet in the Herald and didn't see the game. Before I rant, need to know what happened.

Stopped between second and third (started on first) to see if ball was caught. Would still have been out if it was. Got thrown out at home.

His baserunning left a lot to be desired this year. I remember him running into an out at second on wall-balls a couple of times this year.

buckner.jpg

You forgot:

539w.jpg

dailyfix0826_art_400_20080826104706.jpg

Guy hit .309 with 29 HRs and 96 RBIs. I wish we had 9 guys in the lineup who "hampered" us as badly as Ortiz does.
Whats a realistic offer for him next year?

Stopped between second and third (started on first) to see if ball was caught. Would still have been out if it was. Got thrown out at home.

His baserunning left a lot to be desired this year. I remember him running into an out at second on wall-balls a couple of times this year.

Thanks, sounds like sloppy baseball. No excuse, but better then how it was inferred by the Herald. Remember way back when, Yaz just stopped against Baltimore between second and third. Sox had a lead, and ended up losing the game.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back