PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Prospect Visits/Workouts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice Work. Its a Good tracking tool.

Thanks.

Sidney Rice Scheduled to Visit

The Patriots have planned Gillette Stadium visits for South Carolina WR Sidney Rice and Washington QB/ATH Isaiah Stanback.

Rice is a potential first-round pick with outstanding tools who left Columbia after his redshirt sophomore season. At the combine, the Game**** checked in a shade under 6-foot-4 and at 200 pounds even, while clocking a 4.57 in the 40-yard dash. He improved on that time with a 4.51 at his Pro Day. In Steve Spurrier’s offense, he became the first South Carolina receiver to record back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons and, while he certainly needs polish, he may be the kind of athlete the Patriots feel they can mold. Remember that the Patriots had success with Spurrier receivers Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney where others didn’t.

Stanback, meanwhile, was a two-sport athlete for the Huskies, playing football and running track. He threw for 1,325 yards, 10 touchdowns and three picks, and rushed for 350 yards, before suffering a lisfranc (foot) injury in the season’s eighth game. Fast enough to be a sprinter at UW — though his injury kept him for running at the combine — Stanback is open to the idea of playing receiver. He could serve in that role, and develop behind Matt Cassel in reserve of Tom Brady.

“I’m very open but I definitely want the opportunity to play quarterback,” Stanback said at the Combine. “That is one thing I really want to push for but I’m not going to be closed-minded and against it. I’m a team guy.”

QUICK HITS: According to those around the program, the Patriots have had close contact with Ohio State RB Antonio Pittman and WR Anthony Gonzalez. The team is said to be taking a very keen interest in Gonzalez, a strong character player with a polished game. Also, the team sent offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels to Texas recently to privately work out Houston QB Kevin Kolb. The interest in Kolb and Stanback may signal the team looking for a younger option as a third quarterback, with Cassel entrenched at No. 2.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/?p=1078

Re: Sidney Rice Scheduled to Visit

The Patriots have planned Gillette Stadium visits for South Carolina WR Sidney Rice and Washington QB/ATH Isaiah Stanback.

Rice is a potential first-round pick with outstanding tools who left Columbia after his redshirt sophomore season. At the combine, the Game**** checked in a shade under 6-foot-4 and at 200 pounds even, while clocking a 4.57 in the 40-yard dash. He improved on that time with a 4.51 at his Pro Day. In Steve Spurrier’s offense, he became the first South Carolina receiver to record back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons and, while he certainly needs polish, he may be the kind of athlete the Patriots feel they can mold. Remember that the Patriots had success with Spurrier receivers Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney where others didn’t.

Stanback, meanwhile, was a two-sport athlete for the Huskies, playing football and running track. He threw for 1,325 yards, 10 touchdowns and three picks, and rushed for 350 yards, before suffering a lisfranc (foot) injury in the season’s eighth game. Fast enough to be a sprinter at UW — though his injury kept him for running at the combine — Stanback is open to the idea of playing receiver. He could serve in that role, and develop behind Matt Cassel in reserve of Tom Brady.

“I’m very open but I definitely want the opportunity to play quarterback,” Stanback said at the Combine. “That is one thing I really want to push for but I’m not going to be closed-minded and against it. I’m a team guy.”

QUICK HITS: According to those around the program, the Patriots have had close contact with Ohio State RB Antonio Pittman and WR Anthony Gonzalez. The team is said to be taking a very keen interest in Gonzalez, a strong character player with a polished game. Also, the team sent offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels to Texas recently to privately work out Houston QB Kevin Kolb. The interest in Kolb and Stanback may signal the team looking for a younger option as a third quarterback, with Cassel entrenched at No. 2.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/?p=1078
wide reciever looks like a position of interest we all think defense so they will probably draft 2 o types, they surprise us every year and i suspect this wont be different, as long as we get good players who contribute , we should be happy

Added WR Rice, QB Kolb, QB/WR Stanback...

• QB/ATH Isaiah Stanback - PV (#148 R4-5)
  • QB Kevin Kolb - PW (#124 R4)
  • RB Lorenzo Booker - PW (#97 R3)
  • RB Michael Bush - PV (#83 R3)
  • WR Chris Davis - PW (#114 R3-4)
  • WR Courtney Taylor - PW (#86 R3)
  • WR Robert Meachem - PV (#16 R1)
  • WR Sidney Rice - PV (#42 R2)
  • TE Joe Newton - PV (#132 R4)
  • OT Joe Staley - PW (#41 R1-2)
  • CB Usama Young - PW
  • CB Leon Hall - PW/PV (#9 R1)
  • CB Josh Wilson - PV (#67 R2-3)
  • FS Reggie Nelson - PW (#20 R1)
  • FS Brandon Meriweather - PW (#33 R1-2)
  • ILB David Harris - PW/PV (#66 R2-3)
  • OLB Jon Beason - PW/PV (#37 R1-2)
  • OLB Lawrence Timmons - PW (#23 R1)
  • OLB Earl Everett - PW (#99 R3-4)
  • OLB Stewart Bradley - PW (#77 R3)
  • OLB Rufus Alexander - PW (#52 R2)
  • DE/OLB LaMarr Woodley - PW (#44 R2)
  • DE Adam Carriker - PW (#18 R1)
  • DE Jay Moore - PW (#144 R4-5)
  • DE/OLB Anthony Spencer - PV (#29 R1-2)
PV = Private Visit
PW = Private Workout

Gonzalez has been a board favorite for a while now, so he's not a surprise.

In terms of the early WRs, I'm not that high on Rice as I am on Meachum and Gonzalez.

Absolutely thrilled we're interested in Stanback. Our offense could use his athleticism in many ways. Been compared to the Jets Brad Smith (whom the Pats were very high on). Stanback's foot won't be healed until post draft, but he's worth the gamble considering our abundance of picks.

Regarding RB Pittman, we seem to be eyeing some real lightweights (Booker also), along with maybe a moose or two thrown in. Currently, those two are ranked in rounds 2 and 3 respectively.

I'll ask the dumb question for someone who keeps track of this stuff.

Of the players BB has drafted in the early rounds; how many did he bring in for these visits? Is it a smoke screen or general interest.
I'm sure our scouts have seen these players before.

The Current Full List:

QB Isaiah Stanback - VIS
QB Kevin Kolb - PW

RB Lorenzo Booker - PW
RB Chris Henry - PW
RB Kenny Irons - PW
RB Michael Bush - VIS
RB Antonio Pittman - PW
RB Justise Hairston - PW

WR Robert Mecheam - VIS
WR Sidney Rice - VIS
WR Chris Davis - PW
WR Courtney Taylor - PW
WR Jacoby Jones - PW

TE Joe Newton - VIS
TE Greg Olsen - PW

OT Joe Staley - PW

CB Josh Wilson - VIS
CB Usama Young - PW
CB Leon Hall - PW & VIS
CB David Irons - PW
CB Eric Wright - PW

FS Reggie Nelson - PW
FS Brandon Meriweather - PW & 2nd PW

SS Josh Gattis - PW

ILB Patrick Willis - VIS
ILB Jon Beason - PW & VIS
ILB Buster Davis - PW
ILB David Harris - PW & VIS
ILB Brandon Siler - PW
ILB Desmond Bishop - PW

OLB Lawrence Timmons - PW
OLB Earl Everett - PW
OLB Stewart Bradley - PW
OLB Rufus Alexander - PW

DE/OLB LaMarr Woodley - PW
DE Adam Carriker - PW
DE Jay Moore - PW
DE Anthony Spencer - PW & VIS

DT Marcus Thomas - PW

Key:

* PW - Private Workout
* VIS - In-House Visit

Last edited:
Re: Added WR Rice, QB Kolb, QB/WR Stanback...

• CB Usama Young - PW
PV = Private Visit
PW = Private Workout

You're missing some guys.

I think the sky is the limit for Sidney Rice.

I'll ask the dumb question for someone who keeps track of this stuff.

Of the players BB has drafted in the early rounds; how many did he bring in for these visits? Is it a smoke screen or general interest.
I'm sure our scouts have seen these players before.

Some might be smoke screens, some they have interest in but don't pull the trigger on, and some they've actually drafted. Jackson & Mincey both had private workouts last year, and NE drafted both of them. Maroney also met with team officials prior to the draft. Warren was put through a private workout, that didn't really get reported until someone leaked it close to draft time, and the picked him at 13th overall.

You're missing some guys.

Your a big help. I see that your list differs, so here's a suggestion:

If you find any posts regarding visits/workouts over in the main forum (or draft forum) -- post their links in this thread. This way we can have one reference list to work from and update as needed.

Unless these visits/workouts are confirmed by some source -- they won't make the list.

Added QB Toby Korrodi...

• QB Toby Korrodi - PW (#290 R7-FA)
  • RB Chris Henry - PW (#184 R5-6)
  • RB Kenny Irons - PW (#71 R2-3)
  • RB Antonio Pittman - PW (#51 R2)
  • RB Justise Hairston - PW 9#378 R-FA)
  • WR Jacoby Jones - PW (#120 R3-4)
  • TE Greg Olsen - PW (#17 R1)
  • CB Usama Young - PW (#311 R7-FA)
  • CB Daymeion Hughes - PV (#91 R3)
  • CB David Irons - PW (#59 R2-3)
  • CB Eric Wright - PW (#55 R2)
  • FS/SS Josh Gattis - PW (#73 R2-3)
  • ILB Patrick Willis - PV (#23 R1)
  • ILB Desmond Bishop - PW (#222 R6)
  • ILB Buster Davis - PW (#101 R3-4)
  • ILB Brandon Siler - PW (#50 R2)
  • DT Marcus Thomas - PW (#88 R3)

PV = Private Visit
PW = Private Workout
# = Overall ranking
R = Projected round

Geoff Pope, CB from Howard, to workout for Pats on Tuesday

Pope was interviewed on Sirius NFL Radio and said he's going to workout for the Pats this Tuesday. According to NFLdraftscout.com he can run a 4.28. Kirwan said he's impressed by the "chip on [Pope's] shoulder" (being from a small school and the perception that he's being ignored because of it) and to his credit Pope never goofed and sounded intelligent.

Pope said he did a 100 question quiz by the Colts earlier. He hasn't done the wonderlic and he wasn't invited to the combine. Antoine Bethea went the the same school, was drafted late last year, and had major success with the Colts as he was their starting SS. Bethea earned a $230,000 bonus from the NFL. Bethea was at Pope's pro day workout to "give support."

Does anybody know anything about this kid?

Last edited:
Re: Geoff Pope, CB from Howard, to workout for Pats on Tuesday

Pope was interviewed on Sirius NFL Radio and said he's going to workout for the Pats this Tuesday. According to NFLdraftscout.com he can run a 4.28. Kirwan said he's impressed by the "chip on [Pope's] shoulder" (being from a small school and the perception that he's being ignored because of it) and to his credit Pope never goofed and sounded intelligent.

Pope said he did a 100 question quiz by the Colts earlier. He hasn't done the wonderlic and he wasn't invited to the combine. Antoine Bethea went the the same school, was drafted late last year, and had major success with the Colts as he was their starting SS. Bethea earned a $230,000 bonus from the NFL. Bethea was at Pope's pro day workout to "give support."

Does anybody know anything about this kid?

He comes in at 5'10" 179lbs, and transferred from Eastern Michigan after the 2005 season. Here's scout.com on him:

"Biography:
Former Eastern Michigan transfer who posted 40/2/4 as a senior after 36/3/2 the prior year.

Pos:

Athletic prospect who’s shown flashes of skill yet minimal consistency. Sized well and strong at the point of attack. Displays a good sense of timing, quickly breaks to the ball and adjusts to defend the throw.

Neg:

Stiff pedaling in reverse. Struggles with his back to the ball and is slow locating the pass in the air. Not physical nor a volunteer in run defense."

Sounds like an interesting developmental type of prospect to draft on late day 2...

Sounds like an interesting developmental type of prospect to draft on late day 2...

Yes. He was a classic sleeper of mine who's now awakened. :(

And he's a better player than that writeup makes him out to be (in the Blue Gay mold).

Rice I don't like. Gonzales, ehhh. Where would they put these guys anyway?

RB? I like the guy from GA, forgot his name...probbaly draft him in the 6th.

Why draft a small RB who you'd have to take high? Doesn't make sense to me...RBs are a dime a dozen for the most part.

Trade up for REvis in teh 1st
Take Beason in the 2nd
Weddle in the 3rd or Piscatelli

WR? No room in teh inn.

Reiss is reporting East Carolina WR Andrae Ellison was in for a visit.

Reiss is reporting East Carolina WR Andrae Ellison was in for a visit.

Allison is one of my draft favorites, not great intangibles, but strong playmaking ability. Probably round 3-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back