PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Pats/Saints PostGame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if that was sarcasm or something, but we certainly didn't need to score quick up 7-3 towards the end of the first after that Welker punt return. And yet we come out empty backfield after the success we had running on that terrific first drive, go figure.

Based on our philosophy, we didn't abandon the run when we still had a shot. We are a Pass heavy team. We ran the ball about 25 times when we still had a chance.

Last edited:
I could complain about the loss or I can go back to
when I predicted we would be 10-6 this year and there's a chance I may be wrong. :)

Last edited:
Based on our philosophy, we didn't abandon the run when we still had a shot. We are a Pass heavy team. We ran the ball about 25 times when we still had a chance.

It didn't make sense to go away from the run. We were controlling the clock, eating up yards and time at the same time and keeping Brees off the field. Maroney was playing like he did in the 07 playoffs. I don't get why we all of a sudden choose to go empty backfield and pass heavy. If the run is working, keep going with it until they prove they can stop it. Maroney was running with purpose tonight and has looked good since he took over as the lead guy. THe only thing he's got to work on is ball security. That's a fumble in 3 straight games. Inexcusable.

I'm done defending this team, they are going to have to show me something before I ca them legit contenders again and it's not going to be against Miami. It seems lime this whole drafting "smart" players isn't working. The conservative spending and draft aproach isn't workng. Welker got worked by a rookie that grew up a town over from me. We need a Pierre Garcon, a Robert Meacham, a malcom jenkins, a Brian cushing. We need some speed and more athletes. The Sainta patchwork secondary just shut us down. Our secondary looked like ****. Yeah we may make the playoffs, we may get hot along the way but realisticly we've sucked on the road and in prime ti
e. The road to the superbowl goes through both and this is a what have you done for me lately leauge and the Pats haven't done anything to show me that we even belong in the playoffs.

My opinion I personally cant call this team one of the elites even if they happen to win out the rest of the season cause none of the teams they play are one of the best. When playoff time comes around and they go into SD or Indy and pull out a win, thats when Ill consider them being one of the best. Until then in my eyes the Pats are an slightly above average team.

I'm done defending this team, they are going to have to show me something before I ca them legit contenders again and it's not going to be against Miami. It seems lime this whole drafting "smart" players isn't working. The conservative spending and draft aproach isn't workng. Welker got worked by a rookie that grew up a town over from me. We need a Pierre Garcon, a Robert Meacham, a malcom jenkins, a Brian cushing. We need some speed and more athletes. The Sainta patchwork secondary just shut us down. Our secondary looked like ****. Yeah we may make the playoffs, we may get hot along the way but realisticly we've sucked on the road and in prime ti
e. The road to the superbowl goes through both and this is a what have you done for me lately leauge and the Pats haven't done anything to show me that we even belong in the playoffs.

I don't think Meriweather/Maroney is smart. I have listened to their interviews and if you really go to college there is no reason to use the grammar they use. (I always wanted to talk about that) Smart is just an aspect of our draft and is very important for a lot of positions. Meriweather did mess up twice in this game and tackled a Saint into the Endzone....Can't blame him though.

BB said it all post-game... to summarize, we didn't play very well. Not taking anything away from them blah blah blah... but we didn't even compete at their level.

I wouldn't start the funeral dirges, but I agree w/Slash and some others. This team can't be considered among the "elite" when there are two undefeateds and a 10-1 team in the league. You could say about the Saints before tonight "yeah but who have they beaten?" The answer as of now is "us... soundly." And that's only to make it fit a sort of stuffy "Churchilll wit" template. The real answer is "us, like the redheaded stepchild of a rented mule."

Bright spot: Maroney really can run the football.

Brady threw like a second-tier QB. The difference between him and Brees was noticeable. If he "outdueled" a Josh Freeman with the same performance, hey, no harm no foul. Against Manning a couple of weeks ago they were in the same league. Tonight he was off. Way off.

The secondary blew coverages repeatedly. There were guys that didn't just beat their man, their man wasn't in the frame when the camera showed the catch.

TACKLING TACKLING TACKLING... even when our guys were where they were supposed to be, the fundamentals seemed to elude them.

And yes, protection was shoddy all night. Again, not noticeable except when the other guy has time on every throw, while Brady is trying to create a new pocket half the time.

Just the things I noticed off the cuff. I am sure they've all been warmed over a few times.

They're playing badly, in short. They still could play much better, yes, with the same personnel (I personally don't buy that the Pats are crappy drafters every time we don't win.)

Can they get to "elite"? Sure. "Can" ain't the same as "Will," however.

Are they there right now? No. That's obvious after tonight's game.

how has kaczur lasted so long as a starter? Theres times when he barely even touches the pass rusher

i posted this in another thread but felt it would be appropriate here as well.

as a saints fan, i want to tell pats fans thank you. as a long time saints fan, even though this was a regular season game, it was so much more to the who dat nation. our past has been plagued by poor players, poor coaching, poor decisions, and poor records. who can forget us trading an entire draft for ricky williams. this year is different though. we have beaten some teams that were SUPPOSED to be super bowl contenders but have since had trouble finding ways to win games. this was a game of legitimacy. a game to prove that we CAN beat a legitimate contender. you all should appreciate that you have a legacy of winning for the last decade and are essentially the measuring stick. so yes, to beat the pats was essentially a mini-super bowl for us. hopefully, this year will not just be a blip on the radar and we can continue to provide outstanding teams. yes, we want to be like you. we want to go from repetitive poor records to actually being a respected team.

i am surprised though. i will admit, i don't like tom brady, i really don't like the pats, and the pat fans that i know are obnoxious, always making excuses for losses and bad plays. cruising your forums, i'm not seeing many excuses and that surprised me. i guess i will have to look at pat fans a little differently now. i haven't seen "well if the ref had called this play" or all the other IF excuses. what i have seen is a humble fanbase and self reflection. instead of making excuses i have seen numerous people posting that "we were beat by a better team" and "our team needs to work on this."

once again, i would like to thank everybody for the great attitude and wish you luck with the rest of your season. wish us well as our saints attempt to write history and get to our first super bowl.

Hey n10sivern....

As a Pats fan I can say I'm not even really upset.. I'm more in awe.

Hey n10sivern....

As a Pats fan I can say I'm not even really upset.. I'm more in awe.
Yep .... hats off to the Saints, they played a really good game. Runnin game, receivers, pass blocking, run blocking, pass rush, coverage - you name it, they did a great job. Congrats to New Orleans.

Was absolutely pathetic. Add another loss to the record, and we're only 7-4. I understand we're still in the Division lead, but we got beaten by Indy and we'll meet them in Indy if we even get that far, and the Saints absolutely beat the living piss out of us. There's no easier way to say it - Drew Brees absolutely DESTROYED that secondary and Tom Brady looked nothing more than meh.

Really ugly game.

You got to give credit where credit is do to the Saints for playing a great game, but we play horrendously on both sides of the ball.
The 5 games I wanted to win more than anything this year (Jets, Broncos, Indy, Jets, Saints) we won ONE. Good!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey