PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Pats - Raiders Post Game Thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thru three games, the New England Patriots have scored 12 points in the second half with ZERO touchdowns.

The OL protection has been horrible, but he badly missed some easy throws the past few weeks. The one where he had Gronk all by himself about 7 yards away was hideous today. Also the endzone pass to Amendola was his fault. He's lucky he did not have 2 INTs today.

He has every right to be shaken by the horrible OL protection. That does not mean we have to close our eyes to the fact that, at this moment in the season, he appears out of sync.

Did you not see gronk slow up a little bit one the first miss. Gronk was not running full speed for a couple steps and that contributed to the miss.

The amendola pass was not a miss. It was out where only amendola could make a play and not where the defender had a chance for a 100 yard pick 6. That was Tom making sure we would get at least a few points.

He's lucky he didn't have 2ints is BS. The manning could have had 6 ints today which is BS argument also for example. Tom played as much mistake free football because 1 TO would have broke this team today. Brady played fine and should of had 2 Tds today with both to gronk. Tom can only be so effective with a bar oline. You saw when Tom had protection he found KT, weight and lafell, which isn't gronk or Jules. Right now its a matter of a competent oline solving the offensive issues IMO.

They gave up 33 points to the Dolphins.

Then held down the "vaunted" Vikings and Raiders (something that WOULD have been impressive in the 1970's).

Tannehill, Cassel and Carr?????

They're going to have to be ready for Rivers, Manning, Luck and Rodgers later this year.

4tds in 3 games is impressive no matter who you play in the NFL.

Since this team is offensively challenged I was hoping that since the raiders were coming to town it was going to give the patriots an opportunity to work on their offense a bit. Get some guys going, try to pass the ball around to different receivers (Like the great legendary game changing receiver Dobson) but it never really happened.

The was easily the worst offense showing this season and its not close.
6 points offense
10 points special team.

After a pretty good showing last week the o-line took two steps back. So far they have had one good game and two bad games. Brady was sacked twice and was hurried more times than I can remember. This oline is going to get Brady killed.

Defense was pretty good but it is hard to ignore that Carr had all day to throw and was not sacked once.

A disappointing performance against a 0-2 raiders team. BB the GM has not provided Brady the protection or weapons he needs. Brady is 37, now has zero margin for error and is expected to carry this team and make something offensively happen with this rag tag bunch of receivers.

I am not rooting for this team to lose but perhaps a 7-9 or 8-8 season and missing the playoffs will make BB realize that the offense, not just the defense, needs to be upgraded as well.

Last edited:
Something is really off with this team. I cant really pin it on just one thing, or person. Its just....off. The playcalling, who's getting playtime, who's not. One week our D is rushing the passer like hell on wheels, the next wk we play against a rookie and can barely touch him. Its awkward to watch. Clearly, I hope for the best. By week 6, things will be coming together perhaps? I honestly dont know. I just hope the boys can hang in there and squeak out some hard fought wins by the time that happens.

They play like extremely slow zombies. The absolute lack of enthusiasm of this team is telling. An extremely boring team to watch.

Also, Jamie Collins is a JAG.

I don't think this is a bad team ... what I think is this team is not as intelligent as teams that we have been accustomed to ... they make too many mental errors over the course of the 60 minutes. The veterans who can compensate for some of this are coming off injuries or playing with injuries from last year.

Run and play action could help this team and the line. They lost on first down all day, well most of it. JMD is as much to blame as the oline. He certainly is not helping them, like at all.

I don't think this is a bad team ... what I think is this team is not as intelligent as teams that we have been accustomed to ... they make too many mental errors over the course of the 60 minutes. The veterans who can compensate for some of this are coming off injuries or playing with injuries from last year.

It's not mental, it's a lack of talent.

I thought that 4th down-- throwing mid out of bounds -- was pretty risky as it appeared to me in realtime that there was a second still left on the clock when the ball when out of bounds, and could've lead to a disastrous last chance for Oakland

So given the scenario -- about 8 seconds extra than what kneel down provides

I'm okay with them doing the delayed kneel instead of running the ball as there's a reduced chance of fumble.

But on that last play, with 3 seconds, instead of what brady did, i'd rather have:
1. He have thrown it deeper down the middle (just pick a spot where no player was), thus the clock doesn't stop till the ball hits the ground
2. He could've gone ran back with the ball thru the endzone; safety, but chewing off the 3 seconds, but even if there was a second left we'd just squib it on the kickoff
3. Just punt it away out of bounds -- also likely to get 3 seconds, worse case it gets a safety if they block it

nitpicking here, but it really looked like we only took off 2 seconds on that last play and if I was an Oakland fan, i'd be pissed that they didn't check the time.

I thought the correct play at 4th and a few seconds left was to take an intentional Safety. Perhaps running out the clock, but if not you get a free kick from the 20 with no chance of a block. That was a BB Brain fart, IMHO.

It would have been terrible to give the Raiders the ball 1st and Goal for one more play if the clock did not run out.

Jeez you wouldve thought we lost today and are 0-3 judging by the posts on this board
I think people have a right to be disappointed though. I thought they would have come out and killed Oakland since it was a home opener and the O needed to show what it could do.

They score 6 points?

Well...it wasn't the best performance but this was a win against a team with their HC on the hotseat and everything to play for. Scrappy in the trenches and the Raiders played tough. Not a great game for ESPN highlights, but a win none the less.

I couldn't watch the second half, but wasn't Carr getting rid of the ball as soon as it touched his hands? I'm reading people say he had all day???

One of the things that stood out in this game was how Ridley's not making much happen. That yellow line is a like a force field that he can't quite reach. He seems to go down if anyone gets a hand on him. Very disappointing.

I keep telling myself a few things as it pertains to this subject:

--he's helping the overall scheme and in ways that we may not be able to see as easily as the one vs one matchups. He's doing his job on a lot of plays that we don't realize, which likely shifts the target and other aspects

--we haven't used him in the press man coverage as much as we'd like, at least as much as I can tell in the first 3 games. Obviously this does not utilize his strengths as much

--Revis has been known to have some off games at times. Just look it up during his time with the Jets and Bucs

--no matter what, I'd still rather have him over Talib due to the health factor, attitude, and toughness alone
I am NOT suggesting that I would like us to have anyone else as our top corner. I simply expected more.

I couldn't watch the second half, but wasn't Carr getting rid of the ball as soon as it touched his hands? I'm reading people say he had all day???

He rarely threw the ball down the field

I do question what game some posters were watching when they see a rookie QB on the road in his 3rd game, throwing strikes in 5/6 opportunities against our supposed "shutdown" CB (along with a DPI penalty) and then walk away thinking "that was a solid effort, he looked very good...." LOL

Revis didn't even have an incomplete attempt until the final drive of the game, and that's out of 7 attempt including his DPI penalty vs a rookie QB. I don't think we're necessarily seeing "bad" performances. I think mediocre is much more indicative.

Seriously, if you actually watch the film on those throws, you see that he was in position in all of those plays, made life really difficult for the receiver, and they basically should have been incompletions.

Aqib Talib and Richard Sherman both got burned today on big plays, and just like Revis you could see that they were right there making things nearly impossible. Receivers sometime make the play and there is nothing any db can do against a perfect pass, a perfect synch and a perfect catch.

Most receptions by receivers involves them being a couple steps ahead.. At no point this season has Revis really been burned, except possibly on one double move on an incompletion by the fastest wr in the nfl, Mike Wallace.

He is a ridiculous player, and im glad hes on our team.

Thru three games, the New England Patriots have scored 12 points in the second half with ZERO touchdowns.

Yeah, but they've played some of the best defenses in the NFL. Brady is the best QB in the NFL, and this offense is really talented. Deus has convinced me.

Jeez you wouldve thought we lost today and are 0-3 judging by the posts on this board

We have just managed to defeat two of the very worst teams in the NFL. MINN played with half of their offense. OAK played without one of their best RB's and without 2 of their LB's. The OAK game was decided in the last minute of the game. We are 2-1, but we will need to be MUCH, MUCH better to make the playoffs. The good news is that we will likely improve a lot as the season progresses.

The BOTTOM LINE for me is that the team that we have watched for three weeks is much weaker than CIN or DEN, and weaker than a couple of others in the AFC. I expected that we would look better after three games.

Hey it may have to been the best thing ever but a win is a win and we are 2-1. I'll take wins anyway we can get them. The offensive line to me still looks like crap to me. Also we need to start switching up our play calling it's become way to predicable.

This is a troubling stat. Although they should have had one today. Gronk should have had the tipped pass in the end zone and Brady badly missed Amendola who was open on the following down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes