PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Pats/Panthers Post Game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee Jack
I guess I missed all of the game breaking plays that JD has made in his entire PATS career.
The King of bad angles and missed tackles
This extention is one of BB's most egregious signings
He IS A STIFF

he's not a stiff, and he's not a pro bowler either - he's an NFL starting-caliber strong safety.

Is he upgradeable? absolutely, but he's a veteran who brings a steadying presence to our very young corps of defensive backs, and he and BB think on the same page.

He's reliable - hes not going to make circus-style int's, he's not going to knock some guy into next week, but he's going to make the vast majority of his tackles, and he's going to in the right position 99% of the time.

Physically he's pretty average but he's got it goin on mentally, and at this point thats a lot more than I can say for certain other members of the defense.

Patriots seem to be just going through the motions out there. The lack of energy from this team is appalling..........especially this late in the season while leading/fighting for the division. I cant recall a patriots team since the early nineties that seemed to just not care.

Did you not watch the team rally and come back from an awful first quarter and outscore the opponent 20-3?

he's not a stiff, and he's not a pro bowler either - he's an NFL starting-caliber strong safety.

Is he upgradeable? absolutely, but he's a veteran who brings a steadying presence to our very young corps of defensive backs, and he and BB think on the same page.

He's reliable - hes not going to make circus-style int's, he's not going to knock some guy into next week, but he's going to make the vast majority of his tackles, and he's going to in the right position 99% of the time.

Physically he's pretty average but he's got it goin on mentally, and at this point thats a lot more than I can say for certain other members of the defense.

Watch the tape
The ball was right in his hands
He has throughout his carreer missed coverage and tackles
He is lost and late on coverage and run support
Why do you think he has been riding the pine most of the year in spite of his ridiculous cap hit?
Stifff.....that's why

I got to thinking that maybe thhe struggles of the offense are O-line related. When this offense has been clicking Brady has had all time to throw out of the 4-5 wide out set.

Sure we could use a 3rd wr. But I aso think some of the struggle have been because brady has forced throws to moss when pressured instead of spreading it around.

Welker is utilized and relied on way too much. we need more playaction too. could brady not be under center all too much because of his knee?

I was glad to see Ben Watson have a good game. I hope the Patriots

try to negotiate with him instead of giving him a take it or leave it

offer.

Way too early. Meriweather was a bust too after his first season.

And what an ugly win. It was nice to see this team close it out for once though (with a huge assist from that roughing the kicker penalty), and actually play well in the second half.

Completely different scenario. There weren't any practice squad players beating him for playing time when he was a rookie. They sign Titus Adams off the practice squad this week and he plays over Brace. This has been a trend the entire season. Unacceptable! Brace was a dumb pick in April and he's proving to be a bust right now.

offer.

If Watson's smart, he leaves. With all the talent he has, it's mind boggling how the Pats rarely throw to him.

Last edited:

offer.

yeah I don't think they utilize him correctly and take advantage of his speed. Today they did with the play that got PI where he got a chance to utilize his linear speed. He needs to be used in the redzone more.

I do think they should try to bring him back for reasonable money. How much of an upgrade are you going to get? We need to find a complimentary tight end who is a pass catcher. I know they're hard to find but there has to be one out there in the later rounds.

Overall it's good to get a win no matter how it looked. The only ****ty thing is that just means if we won lost week we'd have had the division sewn up right now and in pretty good shape for the bye :( Have to disagree with the thinking that we should have lost if Matt Moore wasn't so bad. We had 2 red zone fumbles, that game was alot closer than it needed to be.

This is just a stupid post.

The part about him being stiff is stupid yeah. But that is an INT you HAVE to make if this is a game against an actual good team.

Yeah, I agree. At worst, Moss is a great decoy. He might not have great offensive production again this year, but he stops teams for triple teaming Welker.

not great offensive production... y the hell has everyone been on him all year last week he was number one in the league in recieving yards how is that not good production... it is the best production in the league. he isn't going to have 20 td 1500 yard seasons every year it's not fantasy football.

This board baffles me sometimes we all claim to be fans but are so quick to A.) jump on any player who has a bad game and b.) say someone has to be thrown out. Nothing is as simple as this board likes to think. i generally don't comment on this stuff but it has become rediculous. He had a poor game today. that is it if it becomes habitual then you may have a problem e.g thomas. but it hasn't so how bout we wait before we criticize

Completely different scenario. There weren't any practice squad players beating him for playing time when he was a rookie.. They sign Titus Adams off the practice squad this week and he plays over Brace. This is unacceptable! Brace was a dumb pick in April and he's proving to be a bust right now.

If Watson's smart, he leaves. With all the talent he has, it's mind boggling how the Pats rarely throw to him.

They do throw to him when they let him run routes. These past four or five games, Watson has spent the majority of his time in the game helping the O-Line block. This is the first time in a while I've seen him running routes the vast majority of the game.

And yes, I sincerely hope we re-sign him as well.

They do throw to him when they let him run routes. These past four or five games, Watson has spent the majority of his time in the game helping the O-Line block. This is the first time in a while I've seen him running routes the vast majority of the game.

And yes, I sincerely hope we re-sign him as well.

They wouldn't need him to block all the time if the Pats weren't so predictable with their offense (lining up in shotgun majority of the time). Isn't that what they got Baker for?

I'll be shocked if Watson wants to re-sign with New England.

Last edited:
Did you not watch the team rally and come back from an awful first quarter and outscore the opponent 20-3?

Oh yeah....I watched. One for the books. I mean all the squandered opportunities and lackadaisical efforts..............Truly inspired play. Particularly when the panthers record is taken into account. Great Show..................:rolleyes:

Watch the tape
The ball was right in his hands
He has throughout his carreer missed coverage and tackles
He is lost and late on coverage and run support
Why do you think he has been riding the pine most of the year in spite of his ridiculous cap hit?
Stifff.....that's why

I saw the game - yes he should have had the pick... lots of DB's don't have good hands. Ideally it would have been an interception but a defensive back's primary role isn't to catch the ball, but to stop the receivers from catching it.

when you say "he is lost and late on coverage and run support" you make it sound like he's a live tackling dummy, or worse, Duane Starks - of course he's missed tackles before, the denver game in 2005 stands out in particular. My point isn't that he's flawless, my point is he's steady. He's let up some plays but much more often than not, he tackles in the open field, and has good form - most guys don't break loose from him when he hits them.

He's been riding the pine because we spent a 2nd round draft pick on a more athletic version of him who needs seasoning, and because a vet-minimum free agent played out of his mind for half a season. I never said Sanders was amazing, just that he's a solid starter. 3 million dollars is not a ridiculous cap hit for a dependable player who will provide maturity and veteran leadership - its much better than A.D.'s 9 million

Completely different scenario. There weren't any practice squad players beating him for playing time when he was a rookie. They sign Titus Adams off the practice squad this week and he plays over Brace. This has been a trend the entire season. Unacceptable! Brace was a dumb pick in April and he's proving to be a bust right now.

Watson was another first rounder that was considered a bust by people. This season, he's proven to be a pretty good player. Ditto Maroney. There were even threads this pre-season about which of those players were the bigger bust.

Brace's situation is different than Meriweather's, I agree. And I'm quite frustrated about the situation as well. But the point is that his rookie season isn't even over yet, so it's way too early to declare him a bust.

Oh yeah....I watched. One for the books. I mean all the squandered opportunities and lackadaisical efforts..............Truly inspired play. Particularly when the panthers record is taken into account. Great Show..................:rolleyes:

Because clearly every single game should be won by 30 points :rolleyes:

It ain't 2007 anymore...get over it. A win is a win.

Offense went Mr. Hyde today. Awful in the first half, pretty good in the second half. Welker was outstanding, as usual, and it was good to see Watson actually involved in the game. Moss checked out mentally today. The alligator armed slant was the baddest of the bad. Jesus. The rest? Not so good. Would like to see Edelman and Stanback involved more in the offense more. Morris looked like he wasn't even interested in catching passes today. Maroney looked good once again today. If we had a bruiser fullback and he stayed injury-free, he would be a 1,000 yard rusher.

All in all, we won and that's good. But we didn't look good in doing it. If the Panthers had a capable quarterback, we would have lost. There is no excuse for Matt Moore and his ability to go down the field twice on this defense for huge gains. But we won, so I'll take it.

Agreed with the offense, it was pretty much the same as it has been all year, with the exception that they switched the second half with the first. The second half showed something that I am sure will shock every poster here - when you involve other receivers, commit to running the ball and get less predictable in play calling, the offense seems to almost move at will. In the first half, I felt like I was watching tape of the Dolphins game and somehow knew which play was coming before it happened. Can we hope that this is a lesson learned?

I wasn't so concerned about the deep passes. Smith was very well covered on the touchdown by Springs, the ball seemed to go right into the only spot it could have (as has happened several times this year). He's also a pretty decent receiver. The other one (is this the Rivera TE catch?) he was completely covered by two guys and made a circus catch. I thought the D played pretty darn well today.

Well for those of you who wanted a return to the good old days of slogging out a non-sexy victory, you just got it.

I'm cool with non-sexy victories. They added up to three SB victories. Still waiting for the first one sexy-style. :rolleyes:

The second half showed something that I am sure will shock every poster here - when you involve other receivers, commit to running the ball and get less predictable in play calling, the offense seems to almost move at will. In the first half, I felt like I was watching tape of the Dolphins game and somehow knew which play was coming before it happened. Can we hope that this is a lesson learned?

I'm hoping that, regarding the second half:
A) BB took over the playcalling, or
B) O'Brian is starting to finally get into the swing of things a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back