PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Pats-Bills post game gloom and doom thread.

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is the season over?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Sanders/Meriweather make McCourty look good, despite the fact that people trashed both safeties?

Belichick screwed up at the safety position. His penchant for getting rid of guys just before the start of the season worked once, and now he seems to think it's going to work every time.

BB is to blame. We don't have any one to rely on when Brady stinks. We need a game changing RB. Might be Ridley but BJGE is just a decent and disciplined back on a great pass offense. A deep threat WR would be nice but it's just a luxury because we can survive without them.
On the pass offense, we have play makers like Gronk, Welker, Hernandez and Brady...with a very good OLine.
On defense, it's a different story. Wilfork and Mayo have been good but not excellent. Chung is very solid and I think he would develop into a star. McCourty would be fine but we need to improve out pass rush. BB has been unable to address this issue. I'm yet to see the benefit of dumping McGowan, Sanders and Meriweather. Brown and Barett would never be as nice.
Defense wins championships and we haven't had a stemmed defense in a long time

It would appear that it is possible

Its so frustrating. Sanders was one of the smarter players on defense and always the most consistent DB, Meriweather deserved criticism but at least he could fly to the ball and deliver some nice hits (even if he missed some tackles). :mad:

Plus they were good at clutching **** up towards the end of games and racked in some INT's to kill some comebacks from other teams.

Last edited:
Last edited:
The Pats had 4 turnovers...that was the reason they lost, not the defense.

Chung would have helped some, but Meriweather and/or Sanders would have helped lots more.

That may well be, but that bridge was crossed several weeks ago.

Belichick screwed up at the safety position. His penchant for getting rid of guys just before the start of the season worked once, and now he seems to think it's going to work every time.

not to mention the drafting of such studs as wheatley, butler, whilhite , shall we go on....

The Pats had 4 turnovers...that was the reason they lost, not the defense.

Nope. Defense cannot stop anybody. Fitz & Jackson did whatever they wanted all game.

Why does it always seem that Brady throws his INTs on first down? All of them today were on first down.

not to mention the drafting of such studs as wheatley, butler, whilhite , shall we go on....

He's drafted well enough to fill out a roster. What he hasn't done is replace departing/declining greats with quality replacements. It's what I've said before. You can get rid of players, but you have to have adequate replacements.

BRIDGE 1 CROSSED Cut Merieather
BRIDGE 2 CROSSED Cut Sanders
BRIDGE 3 CROSSED Don't sign ANY starting or backup safeties. The very idea that no one was available who was not better than ONE of Brown, Barrett and Ohedigbo just doesn't pass the laugh test.
BRIDGE CROSSED Start the season with Dowling as one of our safeties (even #3)
========================================================
Yes, lots of bridges have been crossed. We will now see just how stubborn Belichick is.

BRIDGE 1 CROSSED Cut Merieather
BRIDGE 2 CROSSED Cut Sanders
BRIDGE 3 CROSSED Don't sign ANY starting or backup safeties. The very idea that no one was available who was not better than ONE of Brown, Barrett and Ohedigbo just doesn't pass the laugh test.
BRIDGE CROSSED Start the season with Dowling as one of our safeties (even #3)
========================================================
Yes, lots of bridges have been crossed. We will now see just how stubborn Belichick is.

Maybe its time to throw Belichick under that bridge and give full control to Floyd Reese

It's game three, they're 2-1. My only concern is, they have no talent at safety. Other than that, the D has some new parts and coming together in Dec is what counts. Defense is about coordination, it takes a while.

I know, but it seems to be the same problems for the past few years and the D seemed to be gelling pretty well last year. Why does it seem like they started from scratch again. I would've thought that BB, given enough time, would have figured this out.

If anyone actually thinks the season is over at 2-1 then that person is an idiot.

Well this is true...season has just started and our offense will keep us in many games. Against other high scoring,potent offenses.....we will struggle alot. McCourty so far is showing that last year was a fluke..as so far this year he has been abysmal. Despite the acquisitions of several big time pass rushers....we still have yet to get consistent pass rushing/pressure on opposing QB's. We also continue to have significant difficulty stopping the run....and getting off the field on 3rd down. This is really nothing new obviously....if someone told me this was the 2002, or 2006, or 2010 NE Pats defense....I couldn't tell the difference....

Nope. Defense cannot stop anybody. Fitz & Jackson did whatever they wanted all game.

The Bills O scored 27 points on the Patriots D. Brady had a pick returned for the winning margin.
This loss in on the arena ball O.

Here is the simple problem with this team: The defense isn't stopping anybody and if Brady has a bad game (like today) they have zero chance of winning.

I did not hear Branch's name once and Ochinco is Galloway 2.0 He needs to be cut and pats should sign Moss. Eff how desperate that move looks. You cannot have Welker being Brady's only target now that teams are going to start to double Gronkowski.

If anyone actually thinks the season is over at 2-1 then that person is an idiot.

Well this is true...season has just started and our offense will keep us in many games. Against other high scoring,potent offenses.....we will struggle alot. McCourty so far is showing that last year was a fluke..as so far this year he has been abysmal. Despite the acquisitions of several big time pass rushers....we still have yet to get consistent pass rushing/pressure on opposing QB's. We also continue to have significant difficulty stopping the run....and getting off the field on 3rd down. This is really nothing new obviously....if someone told me this was the 2002, or 2006, or 2010 NE Pats defense....I couldn't tell the difference....

Well for one this team is not even half as good as the 2010 patriots. Two, if you look at the schedule, the next 6 are definitive L's with the play/talent/coaching of the current pats unless there is a drastic change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back