PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Patriots UDFA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Slot Receiver TJ Moe of Missouri Signs with Patriots

Moe was ranked as 3rd-4th rounder by Pro Football Weekly

Yeah, I like this guy a lot. Brady will wind up with a good slot receiver and backup when all is said and done.

Ok I realize I'm bored, but folks, we have an epic training camp BATTLE. :D

Ryan Allen Senior Year Louisiana Tech: (best year)

AVG: 48 yards
NET: 45.4 yards
AVG yards per return: 4.3 yards
LNG: 85 yards

Punts returned: 28/45
2x Ray Guy

Zoltan Mesko Senior Year Michigan: (best year)

AVG: 44.5 yards
NET: 39.9 yards
AVG yards per return: 8.7 yards
LNG: 66 yards
Punts returned: 27/54

Full blown Punter Controversy! Ryan Allen Bandwagon. Watch your back Zoltan. :yeeha:

Ok I realize I'm bored, but folks, we have an epic training camp BATTLE. :D
If Allen doesn't choke this will be a serious battle. We would save more than half a million by switching this year and would get Allen signed a lot cheaper than Zoltan who is a FA in a year. Plus Allen is a very good punter. Will he show it in camp ? That's the big question.

If Allen doesn't choke this will be a serious battle. We would save more than half a million by switching this year and would get Allen signed a lot cheaper than Zoltan who is a FA in a year. Plus Allen is a very good punter. Will he show it in camp ? That's the big question.

Yeah agreed. I can't find inside the 20 stats but everything else Ryan has the edge. It shall be interesting, and the pats save 500k as well as 2 years of contract.

He's a Punter only. Don't sleep on him, he's good; Zoltan has only a year left they may have talked extension with him and not agreed.

Zoltan's agent was also Wes Welker's agent.

Can't wait for the first reports from training camp. Whole new offense and so many suprises to be seen. Ballard,Amendola,Jones,Dobson,Boyce,Moe and you still have the 2 monsters with Gronk and Hernandez.

Ryan Osieck, QB New Haven, received minicamp invite

Some more information and opinions on Vellano:

Joe Vellano Bio

A hard-nosed fifth-year defensive lineman who has molded himself into an All-American ... anchors the defensive line ... quick first step with a good motor ... emerged in the spring of 2010 and has since been atop the depth chart ... a two-time All-ACC performer (second team in 2010; first in 2011) ... a preseason All-America and consensus All-ACC selection ... a first team All-America pick by Athlon, second team by Lindy's and fourth team by Phil Steele ... a first team all-conference choice by Athlon, Blue Ribbon, Lindy's, Phil Steele and USA Today ... played defensive tackle the last two seasons, but will play end in the new 3-4 scheme ... one of four team captains (also Andrew Gonnella, Davin Meggett and Kenny Tate) in 2011 ... also a captain for the 2012 season, along with Demetrius Hartsfield, C.J. Brown and Kevin Dorsey ... has started the last 25 games (tops on the team) at defensive tackle ... his 18.0 career tackles for loss ranks second on the team (20.0 - Demetrius Hartsfield) and his 7.5 sacks are first ... has five career double-digit tackle games.​

Check this link for some impressive stats in relation to the top DT prospects from this draft:
Under The Radar: Joe Vellano - The NFL Draft from a Different Angle

Pretty impressive, right? His junior year, 94 tackles from the defensive tackle spot? That earned him 2011 2nd-team All-American as a defensive tackle from the AP. What makes Vellano's production so special in my mind is that his stats were expected to regress in 2012 as Maryland switched to a one-gap 3-4. At 6'1" or 6'2", Vellano doesn't have the build you look for in a five-technique defensive end, where he was played this past year. Instead of regressing, his implact plays actually increased, including his stunning 14.0 tackles for loss to go with his 6.0 sacks. Vellano did this playing away from what should be his best position (4-3 UT) and in the same conference as Sylvester Williams, yet he was not even invited to the combine. In fact, Vellano received more first-team All-ACC votes at defensive tackle in 2012 than Williams. Scout.com named him the seventh-best player in the ACC in 2012, behind Tajh Boyd, Gio Bernard, Bjoern Werner, DeAndre Hopkins, Johnathan Cooper, and Tank Carradine. He was rated ahead of Xavier Rhodes, Kevin Reddick, Andre Ellington, EJ Manuel, and Sylvester Williams. The stated goal of NFL Combine Selection Committee " is to invite every player that will be drafted in the ensuing NFL Draft." This means a player who was Second-Team AP All-American at defensive tackle who improved on their Junior year production while switching positions is not even given a draftable grade by the NFL Combine selection committee. How can this be?

Vellano is a talented, high-effort player with good bloodlines. His father Paul was also an All-American defensive tackle at the University of Maryland. Paul was drafted in the 14th round of the 1974 NFL Draft. That obviously won't be an option for Joe, so hopefully he hears his name called this April much earlier than that. This forgotten All-American deserves it.​

Sunday review: Joe Vellano goes out on his own terms

And you thought “doubtful” actually meant playing was uncertain? Please. Then you don’t know Joe Vellano very well.​

They really have an interesting group this year. Moe, Thompkins, Allen, Grisson, even Sudfeld and now Vellano. 20 tackles in one game (against GT) as a DT? I've never seen or heard of something like that before.

Look at the size of Cherrington. I don't know if he can move but Holy Jesus he is one big dude.

974228.jpg

im really liking the group they put together they got a back up slot guy if edelmen leaves next season a potential sleeper WR with thompkins a great red zone target in sudfield if gronk goes down plus some really good DT's vellano sounds like an absolute beast grissom was a senior bowl guy and cherington looks immovable hopefully they can take the place of deaderick or love plus vellano could add versatility since he can play 3-4 end so we can play in 4-3, 3-4 or 4-3 under

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back