PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official one game only "Let's go Jags" thread for 12/19/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphilip77

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Just thought I'd start a thread for tomorrow's game with the Jags and the Colts. It's a long shot, but I'm pulling for the Jags. Indy fans and Manning need a slice of humble pie this year by missing the playoffs. They need to know how we felt in '08 when we wanted a second shot at the SB and never got the opportunity! Go Jags! Go Pocket Hercules!!!:rocker:

Last edited:
I'm always rooting for the Jags unless they play the Pats. That said, I think the Colts are taking this game tomorrow. :(

Cris Carter saw your thread title and thought it was about Deion Branch.

If colts win this game, do they have the tiebreaker back into 1st? I think colts win this one 31-17.

If colts win this game, do they have the tiebreaker back into 1st? I think colts win this one 31-17.

yeah, if indy wins tomorrow and their next 2 after that, they'd hold the tie-breaker.

personally, the only 2 teams i really don't want to play are indy and sd. nothing would be better than kc, jax, and nyj getting berths and taking up 50% of the field, in my opinion.

indy plays oakland in wk 16, then hosts tenn in wk 17--so this one against jax tomorrow will be big as far as their playoff chances go

Last edited:
i see indy taking this one and making it into the playoffs somehow :bricks:

Something to keep in mind:

8-5 Jacksonville has already defeated 7-6 Indianapolis. So if the Jaguars win, the Colts cannot win the division; that victory will clinch the AFCN for Jacksonville. Absolute best the Colts could hope for is to go on the road as a wild card team.

If the Colts do happen to win, it's no guarantee they win the division. Jacksonville's last two games are home against the Redskins and then at Houston - two very winnable games. The Colts would have to travel cross country to play at Oakland, and are then home against Tennessee.

However things do look good for the Colts if the two teams finish tied. As far as tiebreakers go, if the Jags win, they win the division even if both teams finish 9-7 because they would have beat Indy twice. If the Colts win then the next tiebreaker would be division, which would come down to the two week 17 games (Jax-Hou, Ind-Ten).

After that the next tiebreaker is common games. Simplest way to figure that out is to just remove the two games that are not common games: Indy lost to the Pats and beat Cincy; Jacksonville beat Cleveland and beat Buffalo. So subtract 1-1 from Indy's record and subtract 2-0 from Jacksonville's record; in case of a tie Indy wins the common opponents tiebreaker.

Incredible to think that things may once again come down to a week 17 game between the Colts and Titans.

Last edited:
The Colts would have to travel cross country to play at Houston, and are then home against Tennessee.

I believe they go to OAK, not HOU, but your point is well taken nonetheless.

I do not see as complicated a view on it, if IND wins tomorrow, they have a very good shot at winning the division, and hold the tie-breaker over JAX.

If IND loses tomorrow, there's no way they're getting a WC at 9-7 (imo). The WC likely will come from a 10-6+ team. I don't personally see a 9-7 team making it in this year, but your point is valid, as they would still be alive.

Respects.

I am rooting for the Colts. But only mildly. This one of those...who cares games.

I believe they go to OAK, not HOU, but your point is well taken nonetheless.

I do not see as complicated a view on it, if IND wins tomorrow, they have a very good shot at winning the division, and hold the tie-breaker over JAX.

If IND loses tomorrow, there's no way they're getting a WC at 9-7 (imo). The WC likely will come from a 10-6+ team. I don't personally see a 9-7 team making it in this year, but your point is valid, as they would still be alive.

Respects.

Semi-OT but why is indy hosting KC and going to oak again this year? In 07 when they faced the AFC West they also hosted KC and went to oakland. Just though it was kinda weird.

Semi-OT but why is indy hosting KC and going to oak again this year? In 07 when they faced the AFC West they also hosted KC and went to oakland. Just though it was kinda weird.

good question, and good find.

i'd be interested too.

The NFL switched the rotation of who played whom in the AFCW - and also the NFCW as I recall. Reason for that was to avoid the situation they had in the past where two teams from other divisions would have to travel the furthest (at SD, at Oakland) and two other teams from the same division would have much shorter distances to travel (at KC, at Denver).

Also, supafly, thanks for pointing that out - that (at Oakland) is what I was thinking and meant to say.

The NFL switched the rotation of who played whom in the AFCW - and also the NFCW as I recall. Reason for that was to avoid the situation they had in the past where two teams from other divisions would have to travel the furthest (at SD, at Oakland) and two other teams from the same division would have much shorter distances to travel (at KC, at Denver).

Also, supafly, thanks for pointing that out - that (at Oakland) is what I was thinking and meant to say.

Ok thanks that makes sense. They probably shoulda planned that out ahead of time.

I hope and really HOPE the Jags pull this one out. They must all realise this game could be there season. Its a playoff game for both teams!

Ok thanks that makes sense. They probably shoulda planned that out ahead of time.
Yeah, they were trying to avoid situations such as in 2008 when the Pats and Jets both travelled to San Diego and Oakland, while Miami and Buffalo only had to travel to Kansas City and Denver. Now all four teams in a division make one long trip (either SD or Oak) and one medium-long trip (KC or Den) when they play the AFCW.

Yeah, they were trying to avoid situations such as in 2008 when the Pats and Jets both travelled to San Diego and Oakland, while Miami and Buffalo only had to travel to Kansas City and Denver. Now all four teams in a division make one long trip (either SD or Oak) and one medium-long trip (KC or Den) when they play the AFCW.

What's the mean for the pats next year? I hope they aren't going to san diego again. Would be nice if it was @ oakland instead of @ either denver or kansas city.

Something to keep in mind:

8-5 Jacksonville has already defeated 7-6 Indianapolis. So if the Jaguars win, the Colts cannot win the division; that victory will clinch the AFCN for Jacksonville. Absolute best the Colts could hope for is to go on the road as a wild card team.

If the Colts do happen to win, it's no guarantee they win the division. Jacksonville's last two games are home against the Redskins and then at Houston - two very winnable games. The Colts would have to travel cross country to play at Oakland, and are then home against Tennessee.

However things do look good for the Colts if the two teams finish tied. As far as tiebreakers go, if the Jags win, they win the division even if both teams finish 9-7 because they would have beat Indy twice. If the Colts win then the next tiebreaker would be division, which would come down to the two week 17 games (Jax-Hou, Ind-Ten).

After that the next tiebreaker is common games. Simplest way to figure that out is to just remove the two games that are not common games: Indy lost to the Pats and beat Cincy; Jacksonville beat Cleveland and beat Buffalo. So subtract 1-1 from Indy's record and subtract 2-0 from Jacksonville's record; in case of a tie Indy wins the common opponents tiebreaker.

Incredible to think that things may once again come down to a week 17 game between the Colts and Titans.

That's two big Tits games in a row!

If the Colts don't win out, chances are they don't go to the playoffs even as a wild card so its either division or bust. Secondly if the Colts don't win the division it will be the first time in what, at least 4 or 5 years since there WASN'T a Brady vs Manning game. I don't know about other people but I think that is one of the best rivalries to date and to not have a game like that played, just seems very un-natural. I know it will be a challenge but nonetheless it's an awesome came to get ready for AND to spectate.

If the Colts don't win out, chances are they don't go to the playoffs even as a wild card so its either division or bust. Secondly if the Colts don't win the division it will be the first time in what, at least 4 or 5 years since there WASN'T a Brady vs Manning game. I don't know about other people but I think that is one of the best rivalries to date and to not have a game like that played, just seems very un-natural. I know it will be a challenge but nonetheless it's an awesome came to get ready for AND to spectate.

Actually, it's only been 2 years since there wasn't a Brady vs Manning game, which was '08 and Matt Cassel was the QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes