PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Minicamp Day 2 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Minicamp Day Two

I hear "Allisonlovesbrady", "Patsman12" and "Patriotsrule" also "contributed" to his reports!
Alison is usually good for some hot tips.

Alison is usually good for some hot tips.

On makeovers or on football? :D

Seriously though, I like most of the news coming out of training camp.
Brady seems to be gelling with all the receivers except Washington so far.
Wes = Labrador Retriever, Moss = well it's obvious you can see what he can do
Lua has been a pleasant surprise.
Harrison looks spry again.
Good stuff.

The only disappointments - Meriweather injured and Geno looking rusty. Geno better watch his back or the rookie is going to take his job in TC. Though I guess he figures that his job is safe since Meriweather is not 100%.

I think Geno will get his legs back under him. His specialty is coverage and he just needs to work on getting back into football after his injury kept him awya for so long. It is still very early in the whole process.

Second that. Let's hope Lua develops into this year's sleeper.

I think right from the start it's been recognized that Lua has a very good chance to make the roster... had he gotten more playing time in college he would have likely been drafted higher (a la Matt Cassell) and clearly the Patriots have need for depth.

I think Geno will get his legs back under him. His specialty is coverage and he just needs to work on getting back into football after his injury kept him awya for so long. It is still very early in the whole process.
Yeah, he hasn't played a game since last fall. Is it any wonder he is "rusty?"

Same with Felger and Perillo slamming Moss for not running all out all the time. The first day of mini-camp? So what do they say when one rips a hammy by going too hard too soon?

It's a time to learn the plays, so they can get into shape over the next six weeks, and then use training camp to get into all-out, all-the-time football shape.

I haven't heard of anyone avoiding the weight room, or anything like that.

On Patriots.com web cast they reported that so far Wahshington has been droping a lot of passes and out of Washington, Gaffney and Caldwell the best receiver has been Caldwell.

Last edited:
On Patriots.com web cast they reported that so far Wahshington has been droping a lot of passes and out of Washington, Gaffney and Caldwell the best receiver has been Caldwell.

Caldwell always looks good in camp/practices, so that is not the problem.

But I think Caldwell makes the team and he is a good fourth receiver or so.

Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Caldwell, Gaffney seems to be the 5 WR at this ridiculously early date with Jackson being PUPed and Brown a TBD.

Caldwell always looks good in camp/practices, so that is not the problem.
To be fair to Caldwell, he had a VERY good season just a very bad AFCCG.

Yeah, he hasn't played a game since last fall. Is it any wonder he is "rusty?"

Same with Felger and Perillo slamming Moss for not running all out all the time. The first day of mini-camp? So what do they say when one rips a hammy by going too hard too soon?

It's a time to learn the plays, so they can get into shape over the next six weeks, and then use training camp to get into all-out, all-the-time football shape.

I haven't heard of anyone avoiding the weight room, or anything like that.

Are you kidding me? NO ONE goes full speed every play during mini camp.

Moss has certainly said and done some stupid things in the past, and has had some immaturity issues, but the microscope he is under is ridiculous if peopler are actually critisizing him for THAT.

To be fair to Caldwell, he had a VERY good season just a very bad AFCCG.

Absolutely. He was a pleasant suprise last year who I think has earned a spot on the team again. My point was simply that he tends to look better in practice than he does during actual games.

The only disappointments - Meriweather injured and Geno looking rusty. Geno better watch his back or the rookie is going to take his job in TC. Though I guess he figures that his job is safe since Meriweather is not 100%.
My biggest disappointment is Maroney's rehab. If he had surgery in February and can't toss a football in June, can he stiff-arm a safety in September? Can he keep a linebacker from prying the ball loose at the bottom of a pile? More importantly, can he avoid reinjuring the arm? Right now, above all, that's my biggest concern.

The sky isn't falling, not at all. Every team has questions and this one won't top the charts. But it's there.

If an agreement can't be reached with Samuel, I think it's a better than even chance that Wilson starts at CB opposite Hobbs, with Merriweather, Hawkins, or Sanders filling in at safety. I feel more comforable with that orientation than James or Scott starting at this point in their careers, and it's hard to rely on Blue after what he's been through the last two years.

Last edited:
according to reiss Meriweather has a hamstring injury. wonderful (sarcasm)

If an agreement can't be reached with Samuel, I think it's a better than even chance that Wilson starts at CB opposite Hobbs, with Merriweather, Hawkins, or Sanders filling in at safety. I feel more comforable with that orientation than James or Scott starting at this point in their careers, and it's hard to rely on Blue after what he's been through the last two years.

As long as Rodney is there, who ever is at the FS will play better than being teamed with Sanders.

What is there that leads you to believe Geno can play CB at a serviceable (setting the bar low) level?

What is there that leads you to believe Geno can play CB at a serviceable (setting the bar low) level?

William Belichick's drafting of him as a cornerback out of the University of Illinois early in the second round, and his playing cornerback on the Patriots all through training camp and opening week of the 2002 season. Remember, Belichick had a first-round grade on him as a CB.

Who knows what would have happened if Milloy would have agreed to stick around at a lower salary, but my guess is that Wilson would have sank or swam at corner,

Is he not good enough in 2007? I don't know, but given an entire pre-season to practice there, I think he'd be fine. I'd prefer to leave him at safety, but that would either mean Blue Gay will be healthy all year, that Samuel or a capable facsimile returns, or that Belichick has more faith in the likes of Scott and James.

Last edited:
Is anyone at camp overweight or changed physically like put on more muscle? also how is evans I haven't heard much about him?

Speaking of Blue, I haven't seen much on him so far. I assume he has been on the practice field, but can anyone confirm that?

Speaking of Blue, I haven't seen much on him so far. I assume he has been on the practice field, but can anyone confirm that?
Reiss' notebook column this morning confirms he took reps at CB.

This is as good a spot for this Schefter tidbit: The Eagles cut wide receiver/kick returner Bethel Johnson after he failed his physical.
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10214359

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye