PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[OFFICIAL] Get Over Superbowl Loss Theory...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigMike

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Can we accept that the Patriots LOST the superbowl because they didnt want it as much as the Giants? There is no conspiracy - unless Matt Light was taking false start pills before the game. Come on, we've won 3 since the turn of the century - lets not turn into a bunch of pre-04 Sox fans here!

Last edited:
Can we accept that the Patriots LOST the superbowl because they didnt want it as much as the Giants? There is no conspiracy - unless Matt Light was taking false start pills before the game. Come on, we've won 3 since the turn of the century - lets not turn into a bunch of pre-04 Sox fans here!

I agree with you that it's time to move on, but I find the "they didn't want it as much as the Giants" argument to be ridiculous.

Every person on that field wanted to win just as much as the next guy. It had nothing to do with "want" and everything to with execution.

Last edited:

I'll go along with that. Not that the team didn't want it - but that the Giants played harder, better, and deserved to win.

Did Brady's ankle have something to do with it? Maybe - but this isn't a team or group of fans that makes excuses. The Giants deserve to be Champions.

If I felt we deserved to win and had lost it'd be more of a bitter pill to swallow.

I think that Light took some roofies personally...:singing:

The Patriots were undeafeted and expected to win this game - the Giants played harder. Our O Line should be ashamed. But we lost. Its over -some of us want to morph into Cubs or pre-04 Sox fans here and its embarrassing.

Did Matt Light HAve A Grassy Knoll in his helmet? LOL

I don't give a sh*t about the Giants. I haven't spared their franchise enough of a thought to decide whether or not they deserved it.

Well Said B-Chica!

The Giants are a fluke, plain and simple! I'm sure the Giants walked into the locker room thinking, "how the **** did we win that game?". David Tyree will be nothing more than a 4th or 5th reciever and a special teams regular. The only other thing that will satisfy me besides a Patriots superbowl win, is a the Giants sucking ass and not making the playoffs next year. I can guarentee you that the media (especially New York's media) will revist their superbowl win and start questioning whether or not it was a fluke.

Last edited:
So, because they won 3 championships they should feel complacent when they could have gone undefeated? It'll always be a massive **** up.

So, because they won 3 championships they should feel complacent when they could have gone undefeated? It'll always be a massive **** up.

I'm not a psych major or anything, but something about the way the Pats always talk about "not looking ahead", whose "standard is winning championships", how "we always win hat and t-shirt games" and that every individual achievement or division/conference title is "not our goal" - it just bothers me. The Pats seem focused on being champions, fair enough.

But being "champions" and beating your opponent are not necessarily one in the same. Last year the Pats mindset going into SB42 was "winning the Super Bowl", but the Giants' mindset was "beating the Patriots". In football, on the field, it's not about going for glory, it's about beating the guy across the line. In year's past, the Pats would have died rather than see a team like Indy or Pittsburgh go through them on the way to the SB. The last couple of years it seems like they get close to the brink of a championship, see the light at the end of the tunnel, but simply forget to beat their opponent.

I don't know why you all seem so confused about the loss.
We lost because our O-Line and D-Lines both failed at crucial moments.
That's it and all about it, I plucked up the courage to look through the DVD I made again the other day. I am really quite concerned that we've not yet
strengthened either line in any significant way.

Last edited:
I agree with you that it's time to move on, but I find the "they didn't want it as much as the Giants" argument to be ridiculous.

Every person on that field wanted to win just as much as the next guy. It had nothing to do with "want" and everything to with execution.

I totally agree with the "want" stuff. It has become one of the most annoying sports cliches and I bet it burns the hell out of the team that is accused of not wanting it enough.

Of course they wanted it, but when Brady couldn't elude the rush, the formerly stout Oline couldn't block the raging grannies, Woods didn't recover that fumble, Manning Houdinied the Ds clutches, the int went through Samuel's hands, and Tyree "caught" that pass on his helmet with Rodney fighting him for it, I knew something else was at work here--dumb luck.

You can't fight it. Embrace it when it's yours, salute it when it's theirs.

On to 2008!

I 100% agree with you. Want had nothing to do with it.

How Naive can a person be? You can talk until you are blue in the face but if someone believes that Roger Goodell and Jimmy Johnson were on the grassy knoll, they aren't going to change.

Yes, they go in the same box as Ram's fans convinced that 9-11 caused Bush to "fix" the Super Bowl so the Patriots would win. I don't waste my breath (or typing:)) on them either.

This is what helps me....

Ok, I've attended 2 AFC title games - the '04 (season) in Pittsburgh and the latest one in Foxboro against the Chargers. In one matchup you have the Pats going into the house of potentially one of the greatest teams ever (let's give Pitt credit, they were damn good that year) and in the other we hosted a severely banged-up Chargers team.

The '04 Pats, save for the hiccup in Miami, played dominant football down the stretch and just dominated one of the best offenses in NFL history. The '07 Pats, played in a lot of nail-biters and managed to pull away from Jax.

In the first half in Pittsburgh, NE played one of the most impressive half's of football I've EVER seen by ANY team. Nothing the '07 Pats did all season even came close. In the AFC title game, NE let the beat-up and (LT-less) Chargers hang around and finally closed the door in the closing minutes.

My point being- even though the '07 Pats had 18-0, they weren't playing at the level they needed to at that point. And this was clearly evident in the Super Bowl. The Giants' momentum was just too much.

That giants win was such a fluke. The thing was if you compare the pats to the giants on paper the pats NO QUESTION are better. I'm so sick of the worse team winning. Don't tell me Eli meant for that ball to go to tyree. He was so surprised he actually escaped the rush he just threw it up and hoped it'd land it someones hands. Thankfully though it landed in the fifth string recievers hands. and thankfully rodney couldn't knock it out. And the sad part was if we could have sacked him it would be 4th and 30. and theres just no way they complete that pass.

hey, Here's A Bright Idea. How About We Get Over The Super Bowl? We Lost, End Of Story. Let's Move On To The Draft And The 2008 Season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back