PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official cut players we want to sign post [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anderson is a legitimate dominator at tackle. I'd love to have him at either bookend. Unfortunately, the NFL.com blog quotes the Cincy Inquirer as Anderson saying "They wanted me to take a pay cut, I wouldn't do it." Doesn't exactly sound like he will come here at a discount or anything.

Anderson and his agent know that, after a few years of injury trouble, no other team will pay him what he was scheduled to make in Cinci. Unless he really wanted to stay in Cinci, though, he gains nothing from accepting the pay cut, and he loses nothing by forcing the Bengals to either pay him what he's owed or release him. If he's not going to get the money, he may as well get to decide where he plays.

The Pats will certainly be an attractive destination -- they're probably a player's best shot at playing in a super bowl, and considering Kaczur is at this point a starter for lack of a better option, he'd have a chance to win a starting spot on an historic offense.

On the other hand, as a 33 year-old free agent, he's unlikely to want to take a one year deal with an eye toward showing he's still got it and hitting the free agent market next year: if he's looking for one last payout, and he finds someone willing to splurge even a little bet, he'd be best off taking the bird in the hand.

Anderson and his agent know that, after a few years of injury trouble, no other team will pay him what he was scheduled to make in Cinci. Unless he really wanted to stay in Cinci, though, he gains nothing from accepting the pay cut, and he loses nothing by forcing the Bengals to either pay him what he's owed or release him. If he's not going to get the money, he may as well get to decide where he plays.

The Pats will certainly be an attractive destination -- they're probably a player's best shot at playing in a super bowl, and considering Kaczur is at this point a starter for lack of a better option, he'd have a chance to win a starting spot on an historic offense.

On the other hand, as a 33 year-old free agent, he's unlikely to want to take a one year deal with an eye toward showing he's still got it and hitting the free agent market next year: if he's looking for one last payout, and he finds someone willing to splurge even a little bet, he'd be best off taking the bird in the hand.

Anderson had been demoted, despite his reputation and skills. He had accepted it in stride and taken on the role of mentor for his replacement. I was actually reading about this just the other day. I'm sure his thoughts were along the line of "I've been a good soldier and helped make this guy a better player, and this is how they treat me? "

Deus, do you think Cassel makes the team?

Deus, do you think Cassel makes the team?

I really don't know. I hate judging the QB position during the exhibitions, especially when dealing with an unsettled O-line. My first inclination has been to guess that he'll stick with the team unless something better becomes available elsewhere, and that Gut is the first QB to be cut now that they have O'Connell as the designated "project", but I don't want to pretend to have anything but speculation as a basis for that.

Re: PFT: Bengals cut Willie Anderson

If "they" wanted him to take a pay cut, we have to assume "we" would too. I love the option but hard to gauge without knowing what he'll get paid. Not being able to watch much Cinci, is this guy a strict LT or can he possibly translate to RT as well? Nimble or road grader?

Only played in 7 games last yr so durability is now an issue, especially at 33. When he is healthy, Anderson is a dominator at RT at 6'5" 340 lbs. He is tough, physical and reliable in both pass pro and run. He has always been a better road grader than a pass protector because of a lack of lateral agility, straight forward he is a beast but sometimes struggles laterally. But what RT doesn't struggle vs speed rushers, he only does when he has to recover. If he has his hands on a rusher he is very effective in pass pro because of his strength. He always finishes his blocks and always keeps his legs moving on contact. Very aggressive player who has good leg drive and power and a solid, if not great, 1st step. Uses his hands really well and is extremelty smart for an OL. Anderson has been a very consistent RT in the league for a some time now and I think he can do it for another 1-2 yrs. Certainly is an upgrade over Kaczur, at least at this point in Kaczur's career. Of course Kaczur can improve and become a better player.

Last edited:
Here's one for the PSquad.....rookie LB Marc Magro..I think many thought he might be a LB that could be ST and then inside..a tough guy...

I heard he was said to have looked very surprised upon hearing the news. ;)

:rofl: Truth be told, I always liked the guy. Sure he had that one god awful game but up until then he was pretty solid. He'd make a good #4 on this team.

Anderson is a legitimate dominator at tackle. I'd love to have him at either bookend. Unfortunately, the NFL.com blog quotes the Cincy Inquirer as Anderson saying "They wanted me to take a pay cut, I wouldn't do it." Doesn't exactly sound like he will come here at a discount or anything.

He was on NFL radio earlier and he was saying they came to him last minute with the paycut thing and he didnt really have time to think about it. He said it was more to save face than to actually try and get him to take the pay cut.

He still may be looking for top dollar but the fact that he didnt take the pay cut their shouldnt mean he definitely will. He could be real intrigued to go somewhere where he can actually win. He also said the injury was not an issue but wht else would he say.

Considering that almost every Cinci personnel move is wrong, I'd say Anderson is probably worth some decent money. if he's healthy (and that's a relative statement for any 13yr vet), he'd be an instant upgrade to our O-Line. The pressure would be off Kazcur and he could ease into the rotation by spelling Anderson a couple of series per game. I'd cut Hobson in a heart beat if we needed the dough to sign Anderson.

BTW he was All-Pro and made the pro-bowl in 2003, '04, '05 and '06.

Last edited:
Here's one for the PSquad.....rookie LB Marc Magro..I think many thought he might be a LB that could be ST and then inside..a tough guy...
marc magro = adam seward

You can point to three moves the last few weeks as evidence of th edisfunction that goes on in Cincy.

Cut two vets Rudi and Anderson.

and Sign Chris Henry again.

leaves you scratching your head.:confused:

Reche Caldwell cut by Rams...

according to PFT.. another player we coached up is let go by another team.. how come so many do well here only to poop the bed somewhere else.

Re: Reche Caldwell cut by Rams..

Always liked Rick.....

according to PFT.. another player we coached up is let go by another team.. how come so many do well here only to poop the bed somewhere else.

He pooped the bed here in a big game but played pretty good other than that.

He did have Tom Brady throwing him the ball though. And we didn't have many receivers.

They don't have Brady passing them the ball!

Deltha O'Neal and Ahmad Brooks were also cut by the Bengals.. Brooks is very talented, i wonder what's going on over there in Cincinnati

Re: Official Cut Players We Want To Sign Post

ahmad brooks.... we were so desperate for a lb yrs back

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill