PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Broncos @ Pats POST-game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rewatched the game and I am probably in the minority but I thought manning was okay. Not as bad as everyone is saying he was. He just handed off the ball too much IMO and didnt let his WR core make plays by taking the ball in his hands . He made some good throws down the stretch and OT against the wind.Was not comfortable at all but definitely was not crappy like a lot of people suggest. The talib batted ball in OT or the welker drop/tackle doesnt happen, we couldve been in trouble.
19-36 is bad. 19-36 for 150 when 31 came on a screen pass is awful.
That is 18-35-119 plus a screen. In other words he could barely complete 50% of his passes, while throwing mostly short passes.
Here are the yards per catch of his receivers.

You could argue 'taking what he was given' but then you should have a 75% completion rate on those throws to play well.

Put another way, his 4 longest completions went for 75 yards (again including 31 on a screen) and the rest of his day was 15-32-75. Those could have been the 4 best passes ever made, and that is still a terrible day for a QB.

via chatham twitter

BaAmm-QIYAATpvF.jpg

Very cool graphic. In a very basic way it kinda reminds me of the philosophy that the Jets used against the Pats in the 2010 playoffs. Take away the short/intermediate areas that are critical to their precision passing game and dare them to beat you with anything else. The Pats seem to depart from this in that they were more worried about the deep ball than the Jets were in the aforementioned game, but as long as you keep it really basic the similarities are pretty apparent.

Probably no coincidence that Welker was a featured option on both offenses.

I don´t like the overtime rule.
I like the NCAA overtime rule. That´s Football at his best.

I rewatched the game and I am probably in the minority but I thought manning was okay. Not as bad as everyone is saying he was. He just handed off the ball too much IMO and didnt let his WR core make plays by taking the ball in his hands . He made some good throws down the stretch and OT against the wind.Was not comfortable at all but definitely was not crappy like a lot of people suggest. The talib batted ball in OT or the welker drop/tackle doesnt happen, we couldve been in trouble.

I think the notion that he/the Broncos offense was bad in this game is coming from the fact that they really only scored 14 points on a New England defense missing the best NT in the NFL, one of the better LB's in the AFC, a starting and solid #2 CB, and the quarterback of the defensive backfield. The other 17 points they got off fumbles with great field position.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but thought people would get a kick out of it.

Attachments

• 1452547_10101214441995485_1446279796_n.jpg
    1452547_10101214441995485_1446279796_n.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 59
Very cool graphic. In a very basic way it kinda reminds me of the philosophy that the Jets used against the Pats in the 2010 playoffs. Take away the short/intermediate areas that are critical to their precision passing game and dare them to beat you with anything else. The Pats seem to depart from this in that they were more worried about the deep ball than the Jets were in the aforementioned game, but as long as you keep it really basic the similarities are pretty apparent.

Probably no coincidence that Welker was a featured option on both offenses.

This is a 24 front which is why they were able to run on us so much up the middle with some trap blocks (which took easy advantage of the rooks)- I'm pretty sure that BB wasn't expecting Moreson to rip 200+ yards on us, but that was the poison we chose. If Manning hadn't given into the temptation to throw when he didn't have to, they probably would have beat us.

I think the notion that he/the Broncos offense was bad in this game is coming from the fact that they really only scored 14 points on a New England defense missing the best NT in the NFL, one of the better LB's in the AFC, a starting and solid #2 CB, and the quarterback of the defensive backfield. The other 17 points they got off fumbles with great field position.

With 5 rookies seeing snaps on defense, 4 of them seeing 70 or more of the 90 snaps.

Just watched the all-22 of every Broncos passing play. It was almost comical how little of an impact Welker had, and it wasn't even any super exotic game plan. On something like 90% of the plays, Arrington was on Welker and was responsible for anything that Welker did down the field or outside. Any time Welker cut in, then Arrington was free to play zone underneath the outside receiver or up on the RB in the flats and an LB sitting in the middle would take Welker. Welker's "long" catch was when Decker was lined up inside Welker and Collins spent too long worrying about the jam on Decker that he wasn't ready to take Welker's in cut when Arrington passed him off. Outside of that catch, Welker had 14 yards on the evening.

Just watched the all-22 of every Broncos passing play. It was almost comical how little of an impact Welker had, and it wasn't even any super exotic game plan. On something like 90% of the plays, Arrington was on Welker and was responsible for anything that Welker did down the field or outside. Any time Welker cut in, then Arrington was free to play zone underneath the outside receiver or up on the RB in the flats and an LB sitting in the middle would take Welker. Welker's "long" catch was when Decker was lined up inside Welker and Collins spent too long worrying about the jam on Decker that he wasn't ready to take Welker's in cut when Arrington passed him off. Outside of that catch, Welker had 14 yards on the evening.

I was surprised they didnt throw when talib went out of the game in OT .Anything in film why they didnt ?

I don´t like the overtime rule.
I like the NCAA overtime rule. That´s Football at his best.

FWIW, BB doesnt like the ncaa rule. I heard his presser a few yrs back.He didnt like the idea of giving the ball to someone at the 30/40 yd line.

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran 1h
Quick note on "pick" plays as I rewatch Pats-Broncos. Contact is legal within 1 yd of LOS. Collinsworth citing picks by Pats, wrong on many

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran 1h
As was I on one where Decker tried hard to make contact at @
LOS and fanned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey