PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Asante prediction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My feeling is that Asante's recent "nice guy" posturing is designed to forge an agreement with the organization not to franchise him next year in return for his showing up in camp.

I think its purposefully "too little to late" to foster a long-term deal but enough broker an agreement where he'll come to camp and play under the franchise tag this season - but only if they don't tag him next year.

I think he came to the realization that with $8 million this year and a $15-$20 million signing bonus next year is a better two year payout than he could get if he signs a long term contract this season.

Is it taking a risk - yes, due to injury, but being the premier CB on a team that looks like a good bet to win the SB will increase his value next year as well.

How long Asante has been playing this scheme out I don't know but I feel in my gut that he's played it exactly the way he intended to AVOID getting a long term contract this season, but has postured well enough to work an agreement to avoid being franchised next season.

If it plays out the way he intends he'll have boosted his 2 year payout by about $10 million in guaranteed bonus money by taking the franchise pay this year and a big signing bonus next year.

Last edited:
My feeling is that Asante's recent "nice guy" posturing is designed to forge an agreement with the organization not to franchise him next year in return for his showing up in camp.

I think its purposefully "too little to late" to foster a long-term deal but enough broker an agreement where he'll come to camp and play under the franchise tag this season - but only if they don't tag him next year.

I think he came to the realization that with $8 million this year and a $15-$20 million signing bonus next year is a better two year payout than he could get if he signs a long term contract this season.

Is it taking a risk - yes, due to injury, but being the premier CB on a team that looks like a good bet to win the SB will increase his value next year as well.

How long Asante has been playing this scheme out I don't know but I feel in my gut that he's played it exactly the way he intended to AVOID getting a long term contract this season, but has postured well enough to work an agreement to avoid being franchised next season.

If it plays out the way he intends he'll have boosted his 2 year payout by about $10 million in guaranteed bonus money by taking the franchise pay this year and a big signing bonus next year.

Maybe both sides realize how close they really are when you factor in the guaranteed money two franchise years in a row means. Zant may see that by taking a little lees, he gets the security that a one year franchise deal cannot give him.

With all this chatter, almost all positive (although all from Samuel's side), they are seemingly close, or at least talking. Unless this is all posturing from Asante's camp.

Maybe we'll hear more with the local Boston Sunday night sports shows?

Asante has always wanted to play for $7.9M with the agreement of no franchise next year. The question is whether he'll get the deal.

He's played out his rookie contract. He is now willing to play one more year, but only one. The patriots need to decide whether to accept or make a long-term offer that Asante can't refuse. The patriot can, of course, just say no.

I think he'll play for the tender.
And I think the Pats are so close this year they might as well give the promise not to franchise next year.
Besides if he does well and helps us to a Superbowl they might decide that he IS worth the money next year.

I gave the chances of getting a deal done at 10%. I guess I was too optimistic

Okay, all details always seem mangled until the ink is dry on something. But what could possibly incentivize the Pats to sign him to #1 money, when the franchise tag is actually cheaper (the average of top 5 money)?

I guess for some reason Shavers et al. found it strategically valuable to tell the press Samuel's side is ready to talk, pssst... about Nate Clements' deal.

Why sign a guy for 10M if you can get him for $7.89M in franchise tag dollars? At the money he wants, it won't be cheaper in the long run, and it won't be cheaper in the short run, unless they're just putting him on a credit card. Even then, the big guaranteed money is the whole point -- so within 2 years, he'd end up being a huge cap money drain (not to mention a real money drain, since after all the team's owners and other employees "have to feed their families" too.)

The only reason the Patriots would "roll over" and do the Samuel deal, is if they valued him as the kind of game-changing presence that they valued Seymour as (plus inflation since that time.) Even then, it is possible that for the Pats, the secondary truly is "secondary," when you look around and say what position will get you the big contract. ("Stop the run first." CBs just don't do that.) Or, maybe that's a rule that would go out the window if/when a Deion Sanders shows up.

But even then, look at what this year gives you: You get to see him on the field six games, and have him for the playoffs, for your money.

Let's say he performs unimaginably well. You can then compare notes, and decide he is that incredible, game-changing presence, and we can not let him get away.

So, to keep him, you can pay him like the best corner in the game.

Which is exactly what his camp is asking for now

So in the unlikely event that Samuel convinces you over the course of his contract year that he's worth the money, you sign him. If not you don't.

But there is no incentive for the team to come to a deal with Samuel, as long as he truly is asking for what he's reported to be asking for. The only reason to do it is to avoid a holdout... and the Pats can make the post-season without him, and probably even just sharpen him up from weeks 11-16, working him in slowly.

By the way, there is a risk that Ellis Hobbs excels during Samuel's absence. What if Hobbs nails 11 int.s this season? Doesn't Samuel begin to look like another "made in Foxboro" product?

I always say I support a player's right to make any move he likes under the law, including a holdout. But I also support management's right to pursue the team interest.

What gets me is these guys seem not to understand that it is still possible to get burned in one way or another. I maintain that I still hear Branch express remorse over having to move on, how he "never intended to be traded."

I don't see any of that in Samuel... however, I do see a guy who might not see the risk of a weaker bargaining position during the 2008 offseason than he is in at present. I suppose they've rolled those dice now...

Oh well, Asante. Knock yourself out and hold out for 10 games, and don't eat too much turkey this thanksgiving. You'll need to earn your keep in six games plus postseason, and play impressively enough to get your multiyear deal next year (if not franchised again, because the franchise number is STILL below the cost of a year of your services...)

PFnV

Last edited:
By the way, there is a risk that Ellis Hobbs excels during Samuel's absence. What if Hobbs nails 11 int.s this season? Doesn't Samuel begin to look like another "made in Foxboro" product?

PFnV

Risk # 1 - you said it....Hobbs excels.

Risk # 2 - Merriweather excels.

Risk # 3 - injury

Risk # 4 - things just do not come together for him as they did last year.

Reward - He won't see what he thinks he is going to see from anyone - Clement money is most likely not there for you Zant.

Good luck

See you 9/9 or 11/18 or maybe never for this team. Wish you were here, but, The New England Patriots will go on, you will miss it more than we will miss you.

Okay, all details always seem mangled until the ink is dry on something. But what could possibly incentivize the Pats to sign him to #1 money, when the franchise tag is actually cheaper (the average of top 5 money)?

I guess for some reason Shavers et al. found it strategically valuable to tell the press Samuel's side is ready to talk, pssst... about Nate Clements' deal.

Why sign a guy for 10M if you can get him for $7.89M in franchise tag dollars? At the money he wants, it won't be cheaper in the long run, and it won't be cheaper in the short run, unless they're just putting him on a credit card. Even then, the big guaranteed money is the whole point -- so within 2 years, he'd end up being a huge cap money drain (not to mention a real money drain, since after all the team's owners and other employees "have to feed their families" too.)

The only reason the Patriots would "roll over" and do the Samuel deal, is if they valued him as the kind of game-changing presence that they valued Seymour as (plus inflation since that time.) Even then, it is possible that for the Pats, the secondary truly is "secondary," when you look around and say what position will get you the big contract. ("Stop the run first." CBs just don't do that.) Or, maybe that's a rule that would go out the window if/when a Deion Sanders shows up.

But even then, look at what this year gives you: You get to see him on the field six games, and have him for the playoffs, for your money.

Let's say he performs unimaginably well. You can then compare notes, and decide he is that incredible, game-changing presence, and we can not let him get away.

So, to keep him, you can pay him like the best corner in the game.

Which is exactly what his camp is asking for now

So in the unlikely event that Samuel convinces you over the course of his contract year that he's worth the money, you sign him. If not you don't.

But there is no incentive for the team to come to a deal with Samuel, as long as he truly is asking for what he's reported to be asking for. The only reason to do it is to avoid a holdout... and the Pats can make the post-season without him, and probably even just sharpen him up from weeks 11-16, working him in slowly.

I always say I support a player's right to make any move he likes under the law, including a holdout. But I also support management's right to pursue the team interest.

What gets me is these guys seem not to understand that it is still possible to get burned in one way or another. I maintain that I still hear Branch express remorse over having to move on, how he "never intended to be traded."

I don't see any of that in Samuel... however, I do see a guy who might not see the risk of a weaker bargaining position during the 2008 offseason than he is in at present. I suppose they've rolled those dice now...

Oh well, Asante. Knock yourself out and hold out for 10 games, and don't eat too much turkey this thanksgiving. You'll need to earn your keep in six games plus postseason, and play impressively enough to get your multiyear deal next year (if not franchised again, because the franchise number is STILL below the cost of a year of your services...)

PFnV

Brilliant post!

Consider also, if he holds out until Week 10, then we pay him something like 2.8m this year (and give out the rest of the 7.79m in bonuses to other players to help us clear more room for the cap in 2008), making it maybe more of an option to splurge for his 10m next year via a 2nd franchise tag year.

Does anyone know how playoff games would affect $amuel's 7.79m salary for 2007? Does he get about $490,000 per regular season game, BUT SERVE US FOR FREE IN THE POSTSEASON?

He'll sign. He'll train. He'll play. It's the only way to guarantee he gets some money. It's also his best possible chance to build momentum into free agency.
-By keeping his spot on the roster, he prevents other players from stepping in and possibly outperforming him, which will raise questions about his actual ability versus Belichick's system.
-It's his chance to prove he's not a fluke. If he does a repeat of last season and is tagged again, other teams might actually try and negotiate with NE in draft picks. If he repeats and is not tagged, well, that's the best possible scenario for him. He'll get his cash. If he is unable to repeat, then he knows he still has a long-term deal waiting for him in NE at the very least, and that he played his hand as best he could.
-He knows the injury risk to corners is relatively low, compared to other defensive positions. Barring a freak injury, he's young enough to bounce back from whatever scrapes he may take this season.

Last edited:
Brilliant post!

Does anyone know how playoff games would affect $amuel's 7.79m salary for 2007? Does he get about $490,000 per regular season game, BUT SERVE US FOR FREE IN THE POSTSEASON?

Agree as to brilliant post by Ol'Virginny.

Players' ENTIRE monetary compensation for the playoffs
consists of the equal shares per game
calculated and administered by the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back