Welcome to PatsFans.com

Official all-night filibuster thread

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Jul 18, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

C-Span usually bores me to tears, but this stuff tonight has been fascinating... it's especially funny to see our state representatives near delirious at 5 a.m.; ... there's something especially grating about Hillary Clinton's droning at 4:20 a.m. ... and with no make-up...

Kerry is on now... 5:43 a.m. ... his hair is a mess...

Live-Blogging The Senate Iraq Filibuster

[ThinkProgress is at the Capitol building, live-blogging the all-night conservative filibuster of Iraq withdrawal legislation.]

12:27 AM: 1,000 people gathered outside the Capitol tonight for a rally and candlelight vigil. Watch a highlight video of speeches from Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV), Iraq war veteran Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-PA), Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Sens. Carl Levin (D-MI) and Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Rep. John Lewis (D-GA), and Sens. Dick Durbin (D-IL) and Patty Murray (D-WA):

12:10 AM: Sen. Joseph Lieberman’s (I-CT) metaphor bites:

Some have said that [Levin/Reed] is the only amendment with teeth. It does have teeth but I think we’ve got to ask: who’s it bite? I think it bites our hope for success in Iraq. It bites our troops as they proceed day in and day out courageously, compassionately, effectively. It bites our hope for keeping al Qaeda and Iran out of controlling Iraq. This amendment mandates a retreat.​

Watch it:

11:17 PM: Just in: 57 House members and 25 senators — fully a quarter of the Senate — attended the candlelight vigil and rally outside the Capitol tonight. We’ll have a highlight video soon. Speaker Pelosi’s speech is HERE.

10:49 PM: Take action. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) urges you to make a call to wavering senators. See his personal “all-nighter” call sheet.

10:25 PM: Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA):

And finally, improving the image of the United States and repairing the damage done to our credibility around the world. Does anyone believe truly that this war has gained us respect in the council of world nations? Does anyone believe that? Because if they do, they’re smoking something. Because it hasn’t. There has never been a time when America has less credibility abroad than today.​

10:06 PM: Huffington Post is staying up tonight too. There’s a live chat tonight tomorrow with Tom Matzzie from Americans Against Escalation.

9:49 PM: More from the Iraq rally outside the Capitol: Sen. Patrick Leahy addresses the crowd, “Thank you, you’re a lot nicer to me than Dick Cheney.”

9:41 PM: Americans Against Escalation In Iraq, MoveOn.org, and others are holding a candlelight vigil and rally right now across the street from the Capitol:

A report from the rally:

Shortly after 9pm, Senate leadership took the stage. Reid spoke first, followed by Speaker Pelosi. She asked the crowd, “Are we united in speaking out against Republican obstructionism?” The crowd responded with a roar!

Pelosi was followed by Sen. Durbin — then Rep. John Lewis and then Schumer, then Pat Murphy, then Patty Murray — who led the crowd in a “Wake up” call chant.

From the Senate, we have in attendance the following: Reid, Reed, Durbin, Levin, Schumer, Pelosi, Leahy, Klobuchar, McCaskill, Murray, Akaka, Casey, Lautenberg, and Harkin.

During the middle of the program, the House emptied out and flooded the rally.

9:32 PM: For the past few hours, Democratic Senators have taken the floor to call for an up-or-down vote on the Levin-Reed Iraq redeployment bill. Providing political cover for the Bush administration, one Republican Senator after another has stood and voiced objection to moving forward on the legislation. Some examples:

SEN. KAY BAILEY HUTCHISON (R-TX): I object.

PRESIDING OFFICER: Is there objection?

HUTCHISON: I object.

[…]

SEN. JOHN WARNER (R-VA): Mr. President, I object.

PRESIDING OFFICER: Is there objection?

WARNER: Yup.​

Watch the obstructionism in action:

9:25 PM:
    After some technical difficulties, we’re off. Bob Geiger has been covering the action thus far, with a “desperate buzzphrase count” from war supporters. From Sen. Kit Bond’s (R-MO) speech:

* “Retreat and defeat” 3
    * “Cut and run” 2
    * “Run and leave” (See “Cut and run”) 1
    * “Embarrass the president” 1​
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +275 / 10 / -26

As much as I against this war, this looks more like a pub attempt than anything else, looks like they are doing something, but really not much at all.. but in reality it is a great big circle jerk. Nothing will come of it, except for fodder for the Right Wing talk shows today... Fox, Rush, O'Reilly, Hannity and Savage will have a dosier of clips to throw into the right wing trough, prepare for the feeding frenzy.
  3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

yes, likely nothing...... that's the sad state of things...

it's still good theater... both sides ... rare chance to see some of these senators speak on Iraq ...

it's not easy to stay up all night for men that age... none of them are speaking particularly well...

in the 2 hrs. i've caught, i thought orrin hatch was particularly good for the Pubs, and John Whitehouse, while not a great speaker, made sharp points for the Dems...
  4. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I think Lieberman nailed it: this proposed amendment simply bites.

//
  5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

While Senate staffers were busy yesterday rolling out cots for the chamber’s all-night Iraq debate, many senators said they didn’t plan on using them. Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-WV), who “towers at 6-feet-7-inches tall,” said, “I don’t fit on a cot.” Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) admitted, “I’ve got a couch in my hideaway.” Sen. Jon Tester (D-MT) lives just four blocks from the Capitol and planned on slipping home to catch a nap.
  6. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

I saw that too. Photo Op is what my brain screamed.

Dems are trying to appease the nutroots. Meanwhile, in the rest of America, despite the unpopularity (and other negative thoughts) about the war. Most want to give Petraeus his FAIR SHOT (just like they originally said they would).

Oh yeah........... They captured some guy named al-Mashhadani over there (I wonder if he's important :rolleyes: ). Perhaps he can lead us to the ghost of al-Bagdadi. :rocker:

We better hurry up and surender before we get all the bad-guys.
  7. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Sadly, this is exactly what seems to be happening. The political machine has starting rolling for an arbitrary date pull-out just when it looks like the primary dirt dealers are getting hosed.

The head of the snake is almost cut off. To leave it now would just let it grow back, bigger, stronger, and more poisonous than ever. The time to sever it is now.

//
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

frickin CONGRESSSSS!

the president wouldn't sighn this, and would veto it...so honestly, whats the point in a filibuster?

I hate our politicians.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +554 / 2 / -9

This is exactly what the Pelosi/Reid gang are afraid of, it isn't the war these rats are concerned with, it's BUSH, they have now devoted their whole life into DESTROYING GW BUSH, their jealousy and hatred has driven them all nuts.

These Hater Democrats will put the lives of every American in this country in danger just to "Get Bush"

The dirty far left liberal democrats don't want a victory in Iraq, they don't want a Bush victory in the war on terror, the bastards want America to LOSE.

Some of them are still mad that won WWII.
    :bricks:
  10. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Come on man, buck up. Let's not be so hard on them. This is YOUR government, and they are working harder for you. It's only through that hard work and dedication that the wheels of this great society turn.

My heart swells with PRIDE when I watch it IN ACTION :cool:

{Watch the whole clip, I dare you....... we're friggin DOOMED}