Welcome to PatsFans.com

Official: 75% of Americans Would Give Up Liberty To Remain Safe From Terrorists

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Leave No Doubt, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

It’s Official: A Majority Of Americans Would Give Up Liberty In Order To Be Safe From Terrorism

God help us all.

2. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The whole "war on terror" is a big hoax - the whole purpose of this was to snatch away our constitutional rights.

Bill Clinton did his share when he was President - especially after Waco, OKC, and Columbine.

3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

count me in the 25%

5. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Ditto.
    10chas

6. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I believe the phraseology of the poll questions appears in quotes:
    Poll: Most Americans would trim liberties to be safer | McClatchy

You can read about the methodology at the end.

7. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

That and to make money. And more importantly to control the debt created by the "war on terror" (which is about as successful as the war on drugs.:rolleyes: )

8. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

There are lots of holes in the underwear bomber's story;) I can't believe that many people in this country support the full body scanner. I mean, fine, run someone through it if you've got reasonable and substantiated reasons to do so but not as a right of passage onto a plane. What about the subways?

It's out of control, all because of Underoo Man. Fort Hood's another story with more holes than swiss cheese.

9. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

There's essential rights and then there's flying on an airplane.

I think people are over-reacting to the underpants bomber, but that's mostly a Republican tactic to emasculate Obama. They not only want him to fail, they're actively seeking out ways to make it happen. Flipping out over the underpants guy when Richard Reid was no big deal is one example. Flipping out over Scott Brown when most of them STILL don't know what he stands for is another.

But anyway, there's rights worth sacrificing, killing and dying for and then there's flying on an airliner without being scanned, IMO.

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +835 / 2 / -9

In The Absence Of Law And Order Society Will Surely Destroy Itself

Don't give up Liberty just use "common sense"

Protect Yourself If you Don't The Dogs Will Kill You

Those That Want You Dead Don't Care About Liberty

We know what our enemy looks like, we know where our enemy comes from, we know our enemy intends to kill as many of us as he can, we know the pig believes his God wants him to kill us, those are the people whose Liberty's should be taken away, when we catch them trying to kill us we should kill them because they will come back, more of them will come.

WE ARE TOLD THAT THERE ARE MANY GOOD PEOPLE AMONG OUR ENEMY "WHY DON'T THEY HELP US"-------?

ALL IS FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR

JUST LOCK YOUR DOOR AT NIGHT THE CRIMINAL HAS NO RIGHT TO ENTER YOUR HOME, NO F-CKING RIGHT WHAT SO EVER IF HE INSISTS SHOOT HIM THEN AFTER HE'S DEAD STAB HIM THEN THROW HIS FILTHY ROTTEN BODY OUT INTO YOUR YARD AND LET THE GARBAGE MAN REMOVE HIS WORTHLESS BLOODY CARCASS.

STAY SAFE CHARLIE, THEY'RE OUT THERE

11. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The excerpt you quoted says 51%, but your thread headline says 75%. So which is it?

Regardless, it is still too vague of a question. Would I surrender freedom of speech and religion for a small measure of security? No. Would I willingly go through airport security, something countless passengers do evey day? Yes I would.

12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +835 / 2 / -9

If I were Dark Skinned, wore a beard, came from the Middle East, spoke with an accent if my wife were with me and she was wearing a Scarf "I WOULD EXPECT TO BE STOPPED SEARCHED AND QUESTIONED" radical fanatical savage members of my own race & religion have done this to me, all the Americans are doing when they Profile Me is protecting themselves.

13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +452 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

I'd say that only those who fly often deserve an opinion on this issue. If one rarely flies, who gives a rat's behind what you think!

The more security I can get, the better.

Scan away!! :D

14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +835 / 2 / -9

Let Israel & China jointly take over our homeland security.

15. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

That was the headline taken from the original article which contained the link to the article I posted and which I no longer have hanging around, though I did look for it. I'm not in the habit of posting bad info so you'll just have to take my word for it:rolleyes:

Either way it remains a majority. Huxley was perhaps right; people indeed can learn to love their servitude no matter how debasing and life-wasting it may be.

Just Say No to Airport Paranoia - Reason Magazine

This is the technology the author's referring to, and it's been an open offer since 2007. Why haven't we utilized something like this? Our opinions will probably differ. ADAMANT: Terror Gets A Short Stare

16. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Let's just say that I think the headline is a huge exaggeration. The article says 78% of citizens approve of body scanners at airports. Of course, those sorts of things happen when we are in the immediate aftermath of a guy who successfully smuggled a bomb on an airplane in his underwear (but fortunately wasn't able to detonate it).

There is a LONG distance between "people who support body scanners" and people who would "give up liberty."

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  18. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +365 / 15 / -13

I don't care about the scanning issue. Frankly, I imagine it won't be much fun looking at most of the bodies, and we'll probably do it like they do it in Britain, where the body is seen on one monitor and the faces are on monitors in separate rooms. (It's sort of absurd, I think.)

As to your point, I think the problem is that the media makes us so paranoid. The fact is in the modern world, we have to struggle with deaths caused by murderers, car accidents, medical errors, food poisoning, disease, drug and alcohol abuse, and terrorists. Relative to most of those, terrorists are not that big a threat. We need to do all we can to defeat them, but we also need some perspective on the issue. The MSM, both left and right, have grossly distorted the issue and in turn have turned the fear of terrorism into a national psychosis. At the same time, the government and industry have engaged in this game because it creates enormous economic opportunities. Most people apparently live in a state of victimization, where going to the mall, the airport, a bank, or evening opening the mail now involves stress. That's a sad state of affairs brought on by greed.

19. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Exactly and people have lost ALL perspective on this issue. At the end of the day what's truly the biggest threat to our lives. And the lives of our children and grandchildren down the road. Personally I've accepted the fact flying, or really using almost ANY type of mass transit, carries with it some risk. But I do it anyway either because I have to or I want to; I travel fairly often so the risk factor's become something I acknowledge and accept as part of the deal. I don't mind reasonable security measures but what's being done isn't reasonable for the majority of people who are the majority of travelers, at least in my experience.

I'd much rather board an airplane without any security checks than take the NYC subway after midnight. I'd rathher board an unchecked plane than have to walk down certain streets, even during the day.

Meanwhile, while we all stand in line for obscene amounts of hours looking for bombs and anthrax concealed by some random person, teen pregnancy is up for the first time in more than 10 years, children are breaking into their school destroying everything in it, and quite frankly our entire country as we know it is disappearing. Yet the majority of people are willing to give up yet even MORE freedoms just in case some underoo bomber boards their plane.

If a terrorist boards your plane it's because they were allowed to, and that's something no amount of scanning is going to prevent.

It seems the differing of opinion runs almost parallel to one's perception of 9/11. It always comes back to that:cool:

20. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0