PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2007 Rookie Signing Thread (9 of 9 signed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Justin Rogers signs

According to Reiss Rogers just signed today....ONLY 4 to go!!!!! 2 on offense 2 on D!!!

Re: Official 2007 Rookie Signing Thread (5 signed)

So with Oldenburg's about to go official (Reiss reports he has signed it), that will put the Pats at 80.

Rogers and Brown have yet to officially sign too. Those will put the Pats at 82, or 2 over the offseason limit.

Terms of contracts:

The contract signed by sixth-round pick Mike Richardson (cornerback) is a four-year package with an $86,000 signing bonus. The base salaries are minimums of $285,000 in 2007; $370,000 in 2008; $460,000 in 2009; and $550,000 in 2010. The base salary in 2010 can escalate to the low restricted free agent tender. ... The contract signed by sixth-round pick Corey Hilliard (offensive line) is a three-year package with a $50,050 signing bonus. The base salaries are minimums of $285,000 in 2007; $370,000 in 2008; and $460,000 in 2009. ... The contract signed by seventh-rounder Oscar Lua (linebacker) is a four-year package with a $63,000 signing bonus. The base salaries are minimums of $285,000 in 2007; $370,000 in 2008; $460,000 in 2009; and $550,000 in 2010. The base salary in 2010 can escalate to the low restricted free agent tender.

I just thought it was strange that a 7th rounder (Lua) gets a higher signing bonus than a 6th rounder (Hilliard). Isn't Hilliard the guy that came in a bit out of shape? Maybe they don't feel he will hack it and did not want to give him so much upfront money.

I just thought it was strange that a 7th rounder (Lua) gets a higher signing bonus than a 6th rounder (Hilliard). Isn't Hilliard the guy that came in a bit out of shape? Maybe they don't feel he will hack it and did not want to give him so much upfront money.

Depends on whether you look at the overall $ or cap hit $/year.

Oscar Lua: $63,000/4 = $15,750 cap hit per year
Corey Hilliard: $50,500/3 = $16,833 cap hit per year

Justise Hairston signed

Three more to go!

Hairston in fold
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
The Patriots announced the signing of running back Justise Hairston, one of their sixth-round draft choices. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The team also confirmed the signing of sixth-round draft choice Justin Rogers, while also finalizing their one-year deal with veteran receiver Troy Brown.

Re: Justise Hairston signed

Good News time for Kareem Brown, Merriweather and Elgin.

Re: Justise Hairston signed

hooray for mediocrity

Are we thinking veteran minimum for troy?

Reiss also reports the team has "confirmed" the re-signing of Rogers.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's gone official, but if it has, then the Pats are at 81. This either means a cut is coming or Samuel doesn't count against the limit.

EDIT: Reiss also reports the Patriots have "announced" the signing of Hairston, which means it probably has gone official. That pretty much ensures a cut will be coming soon.

...and a ring (cough)

Re: Official 2007 Rookie Signing Thread (6 signed)

Mike Reiss has confirmed my speculation - Asante Samuel does NOT count against the 80-man roster limit until he signs his tender.

So only 5 cuts have to be made to sign all draft picks, assuming Asante doesn't sign his tender.

This also means that if more than one of Hairston, Oldenburg, or Rogers goes official, the Pats have to cut someone.

I hope they ink Kareem soon, and Brandon fallows shortly after.

Mike Reiss has confirmed my speculation - Asante Samuel does NOT count against the 80-man roster limit until he signs his tender.

So only 5 cuts have to be made to sign all draft picks, assuming Asante doesn't sign his tender.

This also means that if more than one of Hairston, Oldenburg, or Rogers goes official, the Pats have to cut someone.
so who gets the ax?????

so who gets the ax?????

I'm not sure. Patriots.com is saying both Hairston and Rogers have been signed, so technically the Pats should be at 81 right now (89-1-3-4).

The only other thing I can think of as to why the Pats are at 81 is possibly because Barthelmes, because he was on the Pats' roster for a game or two last season, earned them an NFLE Bonus exemption (the Pats had one last year too). So that would put the Pats at 80 and require them only to make 4 cuts. The site I use, http://www.localsports.ca/nfl_rosters/, though, doesn't have the Pats for any NFLE Bonus exemptions, and they did have it last year. We'll just have to see.

Reiss reports Oldenburg's signing has gone official.

That puts the Pats at 82 (81 if there's a NFLE bonus exemption).

I have absolutely no idea why there hasn't been any cuts.

Per NFLPA, deals for both Rogers and Hairston are both 3-year deals at the minimum. No word on bonuses yet.

Are we thinking veteran minimum for troy?
Most likely, though there may be a small signing bonus thrown in...assuming he makes the roster, look to the late season incentive that was added to Troy's contract that helped the Pats use up that excess cap room they carried into the season after Meion went west, I think Troy walked away with a nice chunk of cash - as opposed to the money rolling over into this season.

Am I missing something?? I have 87 on the total roster...signed/unsigned..inc the addition of the Browns. If one minuses the 3 unsigned college players, KBrown, Elgin and Meriweather and Samuel, who has not signed the tender, the total is 83...and that is what I thought was allowed 80 plus the 3 NFLE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back