PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2007 Rookie Signing Thread (9 of 9 signed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 2nd rookie inked...

I think that Clint makes the team after the team moves either Kaczur or Britt.

I think it depends on that and injuries....

Seven more to go.

Re: First Rookie Signed

I can't get the visions of Notre Dame's secondary getting torched on every single play verses Michigan last year out of my mind.

I just don't see it.

I mean that defense gave up a butload of points.

I know he was only a 6th round pick, and I pray to god he proves me wrong. But I am not hopefull at all about this pick.

What do you think is going to happen if he finds himself looking across the line at a Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne?

Man.. nothing like making a mountain out of a mole hill.

1) ND's secondary was "getting burned" because their D-line wasn't getting squat for pressure on Henne.

2) Brady QUinn didn't have his best game of his career and the Michigan D put 14 points on the board.

3) You should NOT play the stock market. There is a saying "Past returns are no guarantee of future results". That is how things are with football players. You get 6th and 7th round picks who come out of no where to be stars. You get 1st round picks who fall flat on their face and don't succeed.

The Pats clearly saw enough in Richardson, both on tape and his work-outs to draft him. Reports from the mini-camp was that he was taking 1st team reps and really didn't look out of place going up against the likes of Moss and Stallworth. Richardson figures to be in a battle for the nickle or dime position and special teams play. He's a real long shot to start (probably less than 10% chance). Long term, who knows where the kid will end up. But I'm not going to sell him short because his team's defense was below average last year.

Anybody got a ballpark for what they think it will cost to sign Merriweather?

Re: First Rookie Signed

Have to believe that any Golden Domer the Patriots acquire these days
comes with the whole-hearted blessing
of the man who knows our defense
and their personnel ... best.

The only thing about that is Weiss seems overeager to put his personal seal of approval on departed players. I mean, true, we don't know how good Richardson could be, but he was a late round pick for a reason. And Quinn fell to #22 for a reason, but Weiss practically dropped everything in his life to campaign for Quinn's cause all the way up to draft day.

Weiss' word just carries less weight with me now.

Re: Official 2007 Rookie Signing Thread (2 signed)

6th round pick Corey Hilliard now signed to a 3-year deal, per Mike Reiss:

Reiss said:
The Patriots reached a three-year agreement with offensive lineman Corey Hilliard, one of their sixth-round draft choices. The 6-foot-6-inch, 315-pound Hilliard played 40 games in four seasons at Oklahoma State, starting his last 34 games. He played both left and right tackle.

Re: Official 2007 Rookie Signing Thread (2 signed)

hope Hillard gets into shape. and then there were 6.

Re: Official 2007 Rookie Signing Thread (3 signed)

I think the lil episode on day one woke him up...heard he's a mean one..needs to be to make this squad...what this also means is that there will be cuts soon...the team is at the limit of 83...SIGNED players...so the ax is coming out soon!!

Corey Hilliard signs 3-year deal

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

July 14, 2007
Hilliard in fold
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff

The Patriots reached a three-year contract agreement with offensive lineman Corey Hilliard, one of their sixth-round draft choices.

The 6-foot-6, 315-pound Hilliard played in 40 games over four seasons at Oklahoma State, finishing his career by making 34 consecutive starts. He played both left and right tackle in college.

Hilliard, who is represented by Impact Sports, becomes the third Patriots draft pick to sign a contract at this time. Offensive lineman Clint Oldenburg (5th round) and cornerback Mike Richardson (6th round) are the others.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 07:30:39 AM

Re: Official 2007 Rookie Signing Thread (3 signed)

Please still create new threads for each signing guys, so the redirect will still visible for those who don't catch it in this thread.

Oscar Lua signs

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

July 14, 2007
Lua signed
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff

The Patriots have signed inside linebacker Oscar Lua, one of their seventh round picks, the team announced today. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The team also confirmed the signings of sixth-round picks Mike Richardson and Corey Hilliard.

The Patriots also have struck an agreement with fifth-rounder Clint Oldenburg. So at this point, the team has signed four of its nine draft choices.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 01:06:23 PM

Re: Official 2007 Rookie Signing Thread (4 signed)

So now the ax will fall...with 84 signed...who will go???

So now the ax will fall...with 84 signed...who will go???

With 3 NFLE exemptions, only 1 will have to be axed by the time the Lua signing becomes official.

True...but if any more are signed today..then that many more will be needed to go...

True...but if any more are signed today..then that many more will be needed to go...

Actually, I was just thinking that Troy hasn't officially signed. So the Pats will be fine when Lua (and Oldenburg) becomes official, unless of course Troy officially signs before then. I'm also not sure if Samuel officially counts against the active roster.

My guess?

On Monday, the Pats announce the signings of Lua and Oldenburg, the signing of Troy, and the release of player X.

Actually, I was just thinking that Troy hasn't officially signed. So the Pats will be fine when Lua (and Oldenburg) becomes official, unless of course Troy officially signs before then. I'm also not sure if Samuel officially counts against the active roster.

My guess?

On Monday, the Pats announce the signings of Lua and Oldenburg, the signing of Troy, and the release of player X.
A good scenario...while there are a lot of agreements in principle..it take a few days to sign and post..but I agree at least ONE cut Monday.

Anybody got a ballpark for what they think it will cost to sign Merriweather?

How 'bout the deal Maroney got? He was 21st last year, Meriweather is 24th this year, so they should be about the same. :)

As of 7/15....

DRAFT PICK AGENT AGENT FACT CONTRACT
1) DB Brandon Meriweather Joby Branion California-based Athletes First company founded by David Dunn Unsigned
4) DL Kareem Brown Peter Schaffer Colorado-based agent has No. 3 overall pick, OL Joe Thomas Unsigned
5) OL Clint Oldenburg Derrick Fox, Jim Grogan & Kevin Van Ry Carolina WR Steve Smith is a top client for Reno, Nev.-based firm Signs 4-year deal July 12
6a) OLB Justin Rogers Jordan Woy Texas-based agent has been in the business since '88 Unsigned
6b) Mike Richardson Eugene Lee Former Notre Dame QB Carlyle Holiday is a top client Signs 4-year deal July 11
6c) Justise Hairston Joe Linta One of his first clients was 12-time Pro Bowler Will Shields; has Russ Hochstein Unsigned
6d) OL Corey Hilliard Mitchell Frankel Also represents Patriots WR Reche Caldwell Signs 3-year deal July 13
7a) LB Oscar Lua Joby Branion, Athletes First Wareham, Mass., native negotiating for 2 Pats picks Signs 4-year deal July 14
7b) OL Mike Elgin Neil Cornrich Clients include current Patriots Mike Vrabel and Stephen Neal Unsigned

As of 7/15....

DRAFT PICK AGENT AGENT FACT CONTRACT
1) DB Brandon Meriweather Joby Branion California-based Athletes First company founded by David Dunn Unsigned
4) DL Kareem Brown Peter Schaffer Colorado-based agent has No. 3 overall pick, OL Joe Thomas Unsigned
5) OL Clint Oldenburg Derrick Fox, Jim Grogan & Kevin Van Ry Carolina WR Steve Smith is a top client for Reno, Nev.-based firm Signs 4-year deal July 12
6a) OLB Justin Rogers Jordan Woy Texas-based agent has been in the business since '88 Unsigned
6b) Mike Richardson Eugene Lee Former Notre Dame QB Carlyle Holiday is a top client Signs 4-year deal July 11
6c) Justise Hairston Joe Linta One of his first clients was 12-time Pro Bowler Will Shields; has Russ Hochstein Unsigned
6d) OL Corey Hilliard Mitchell Frankel Also represents Patriots WR Reche Caldwell Signs 3-year deal July 13
7a) LB Oscar Lua Joby Branion, Athletes First Wareham, Mass., native negotiating for 2 Pats picks Signs 4-year deal July 14
7b) OL Mike Elgin Neil Cornrich Clients include current Patriots Mike Vrabel and Stephen Neal Unsigned
That was a great job Reiss did...as always...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back