Welcome to PatsFans.com

Officer Lawrence DePrimo - Hero

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +603 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +136 / 7 / -19

And no one will wonder why this homeless man didn't have shoes but had clothes and a jacket....hmmm.

As part of our outreach in Providence, we used to give away boots to the homeless. Over time, we noticed that the "need" for boots was increasing significantly. Guess why......the homeless were taking the boots we gave them and selling them to buy drugs and alcohol.
  3. OMGWTFJUDD

OMGWTFJUDD Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hopefully you point is not that act's of kindness are a folly.
  4. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +136 / 7 / -19

Spoken like someone who has never worked extensively with the homeless....
  5. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +603 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Some people see the world as a hopeful place ... others look for negativity wherever they can find or create it. Even if 9 people took their shoes and sold them it's great that someone would buy shoes for the 10th person and hope he would use them. It should not be the governments job alone to care for our fellow man ... we have to keep trying.
  6. OMGWTFJUDD

OMGWTFJUDD Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And from this experience you draw the conclusion that helping them is a waste of time?
  7. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +136 / 7 / -19

Fine....then you waste your own time and money doing it. I did it for 5 years pretty much every week giving away both my time and my money until I finally saw the light (just like most of the volunteers did over time).

I'm curious...how many years have you worked with the homeless?
  8. OMGWTFJUDD

OMGWTFJUDD Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I did it for about 4 years.

But I've seen the light, now I go around setting fire to them, much simpler and keeps me warm at night.

Warm inner glow replaced by warm outer glow.
  9. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +136 / 7 / -19

No, worse than a waste of time. We helped enable bad behavior.

If I had to do it over again, I would have focused on the very small minority who truly wanted to change.
  10. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +603 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I've been donating my money to the homeless since the 80's RI. I always give money to the people at the Thurbers Ave lights ... and i have a few regulars who know me on Broad Street. My personal time I have not given except for gathering items for the Little Sisters of the Poor people ... my money I have given plenty ... and i don't question it's use.

There's plenty who have done way more than me ... and there's people who have done less ... i do what I can and i won't stop. What people like me give to them is not or will never change their life - but if it brings them comfort for even brief moments then i feel it's worth it. Money for food, booze, butts ... if they feel they need it then fine.
  11. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +136 / 7 / -19

Yeah right.....you did it every week for 4 years? Where? I did it with St. Francis Chapel in Providence.
  12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

In my opinion, an act of kindness is often what initiates change. People who feel that no one cares are less motivated to change than people who feel otherwise.

Besides, you do not know the stories of those who feel compelled to sell whatever they have for drugs. Some addicts have sometimes had such awful lives that drugs, sadly, may be the best choice for them.
  13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

I believe you said previously that you volunteered in a soup kitchen, if you want quick results or are even expecting them you are volunteering in the wrong place...

You do not do it for you satisfaction, but because if everyone did something the world is a better place...
  14. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +136 / 7 / -19

If you're ok with your money going to booze, then it's fine by me. Your money...their lives.
  15. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +136 / 7 / -19

LOL....I know their stories significantly better then you do....obviously. In fact, I dated one of the girls who I ended up serving at St. Francis Chapel.
    Her name is Tracey and I dated her in High School and now she lives on the streets. Not because her life was miserable but because she met the wrong guy who introduced her to cocaine while she was working for the state. She was looking for some fun and he showed her the "fast life".
    Well, she ended up getting hooked on cocaine...lost her cushie state job, her home, and her family. She had a good life and she blew it....not because she was in pain living some awful life but because she wanted to be with the "in" crowd.
  16. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +136 / 7 / -19

You really have zero clue what it's like to work with the homeless....you really do. I was there for 5 years...not just a holiday weekend or for some school project....but consistently. I know what I saw...week after week. We had our regulars....hundreds of them. They weren't asking for help to change...they were using us so that they could have more money for drugs and alcohol.
  17. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +603 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

That's pretty much how I saw it from my perspective also ... looking in from the outside anyways.
  18. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

A good deed for sure! Well how it is received or turns out, who knows! Nothing ventured nothing gained. Maybe the officer is the one who actually gained something out of the experience. Regardless of what the man did with the boots.
  19. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +88 / 7 / -10

#37 Jersey

Very cool gesture by the cop.

I don't understand why anyone would care what a homeless person does with money given to them by someone else.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

It's a good thing you're an oddity. You have no sympathy for anyone who is less capable than you are, and that's a sad thing. Jesus would either feel sorry for you or smash you with an uppercut.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.