Welcome to PatsFans.com

Officer in Henry Gates flap tried to save Reggie Lewis

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Jul 23, 2009.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +108 / 15 / -9

Officer in Henry Gates flap tried to save Reggie Lewis - BostonHerald.com

The Cambridge cop prominent Harvard University professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. claims is a racist gave a dying Reggie Lewis mouth-to-mouth resuscitation in a desperate bid to save the Celtics [team stats] superstar’s life 16 years ago Monday.

“I wasn’t working on Reggie Lewis the basketball star. I wasn’t working on a black man. I was working on another human being,” Sgt. James Crowley, in an exclusive interview with the Herald, said of the forward’s fatal heart attack July 27, 1993, at age 27 during an off-season practice at Brandeis University, where Crowley was a campus police officer.

Denies he’s a racist, won’t apologize
    Though he harbors no “ill feelings toward the professor,” a calm, resolute Crowley said no mea culpa will be forthcoming.

“I just have nothing to apologize for,” he said. “It will never happen

If he did nothing wrong, he should not apoligize.

2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Well, well, what do you know.

Gates has been infected by the race pimps, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Gates thinks, "Hey, if Sharpie can bring down an nationally known radio guy, like Don Imus, I can surely bring down some local copper in Cambridge. After all, I'm a professor now at Hahvahd."

I've seen this movie enough times. It's gotten *real* old.

//

3. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

The guy may have tried to save Lewis (no one really knows), but that still makes it weird why he didn't just leave Gates' home after determining it was actually his home.

His defense seems a lot like what closet racists say that their friend or spouse is a minority. I have come across plenty of people with friends or spouses not of their race, who still harbor racist views toward that race. Not sure if it applies to this guy.

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 2 / -9

This guy Gates sounds like the RACIST in this case and he sounds like one of the CRAZY DANGEROUS ones.

We have big trouble living in the White House (you ain't seen nothing yet)

No Further Comment

5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm surprised we still haven't heard from the driver or the lady who called it in or the people on the sidewalk that Crowley alluded to in his report.

6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +357 / 15 / -12

So, now the right is going after Obama and Gates, not believing either of them when it comes to issues of their ID. Obama claims to have produced his birth certificate, and Gates claims to have produced his driver's license. In both cases, the right automatically assumes that the black man is lying. No wonder the right wing is overwhelmingly white.

7. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +108 / 9 / -14

#37 Jersey

No it really has nothing to do with race, I just think most liberal politicians and educators are liars. Matter of fact I despise Axelrod, Emanuel and Ward Churchill as much as Obama and Gates.

Nice try with the race baiting, though. Pretty much par for the course for liberals on this board.

8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +357 / 15 / -12

And Jeremiah Wright was LBJ's nurse, but somehow among righties it's significant that this cop tried to save Reggie Lewis. If there's race baiting, it's coming from the right, but they're in denial.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +824 / 2 / -9

Gates loves this, he's been waiting all his life for this to happen...........

The 'big one' is right around the corner, when The Obama Health Care goes down the toilet it will all be blamed on "RACISM"

Gates is an Angry Nasty Racist Bastard, if I were that Cop Crowley I'd go to work cleaning toilets before I'd apologize to that Creep Gates.

GOD DAMN RACIST

10. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

He arrested a black man in his own house for no reason. He should apologize. Looks like the man doesn't know a racist act when he sees one.

11. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Back on the meds, old boy.

12. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Where's the line between Gates' right to free speech and Crowley's right to not be berated? I'm strongly of the opinion that if a cop makes a reasonable request to you, along the line of 'stop screaming at me' you have to do it. The place to fight with the cops is in court and its not like Gates doesn't have access to excellent lawyers.

Personally, I think Gates knows his behavior was the antithesis of the dignified, respectable scholar reputation he's spent his life building and is terrified that it could become undone by this incident. So now he's gonna let this cop's life get wrecked because he's not man enough to admit he acted wrongly.

13. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

LOL - it's not Gates' fault. Cop pulled a power play and arrested the man for nothing. There will be no charges, no ticket, no nothing. Cops have to get over whether a person is upset and make arrests based on cause, not their own sensitivity. Otherwise you'll cost your city millions in lawsuits. That's not serving the public interest, is it?

14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +824 / 2 / -9

Gates wanted to get arrested Gates is an Angry Black Man, Gates believes when it Rains out God is doing it to him because he's Black.
    If a White Man gave that cop the sh!t that Gates did he not only would have been arrested he would have had his friggin head beat in.

Sgt Crowley is a football fan, if you should read this Sgt don't cave in to those politically correct racist bastards, you don't have a damn thing to apologize for the Racist Gates and President Jug Ears are the ones who should apologize.
    Yours Truly And Good Luck
    Harry Boy

PS
    When I was younger I was Punched, Kicked and Slapped around by Cambridge Cops more times than I can remember and I always deserved it.

15. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Read the police report (link below) and if everything's true, ask yourself one question. Do you really think that anyone ( white or black) can scream at a cop in front of everyone and expect to get away with it without being cited for disorderly conduct????
    He (Gates) allegedly initially refused to provide identification to verify it was his house. What if the cop took him at his word and left? And what if it wasn't his house and it was a break in?? The police officer would have been blamed.

Gates Police Report

16. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Disorderly conduct is against the law in every single municipality in the nation for a reason. Don't you think its at least a bit interesting that the reason Gates couldn't get into the house is because of an earlier break in?

Btw once the cop was dispatched it became necessary for him to write up a report of what happened. Imagine what his bosses would have thought of him if they read a report that said "When I arrived on the scene there was guy standing in the foyer screaming at me so I decided he must live there and then left."

17. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Check his ID and leave. Simple. Cops are going to get yelled at tons, especially when a smart black guy sees a cop not buying a story that's 100% true.

18. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Cop saw his ID. That's enough. Cop's job is to defuse, not provoke.

19. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The ID had his address on it! You know, exactly where the cop was? Does the cop not know where he is?

Once the cop sees the ID with the address, it's either game over or invite a lawsuit and cost Cambridge citizens millions.

Cop was 100% wrong to arrest him. He should have left after seeing the ID with Gates' address on it.

20. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +232 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

I have two relatives who are cops, if you believe that they don't manipulate the police report so it sounds good your wrong. So i don't necessarily believe it.

My opinion is that they were BOTH in the wrong. They both let past experiances influence what happened.

I think Crowley was doing his job in asking Gates for ID.

I think Gates was wrong for going off on Crowley.

I think Crowley arrested Gates because Gates challenged his authority, which is wrong. It was and ego/power on Crowleys part. Anyone would be mad if they were in a situation where your asked for ID in their own home, from Gates perspective even more so.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009