Welcome to PatsFans.com

Offensive post

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Posting this compels religious conservatives to say how terrible he is, yet by posting it in a political forum, I think I'm reinforcing a stereotype of religious conservatives as repressed, sexist, hypocrites, and in that way this thread parallels ones about individual black crime. In other words, this post in reality has no political point unless I'm making a stereotype. That is the same issue I have when certain individuals post threads about individual black crime. I would argue that this thread, like those many, many threads, does not belong in the forum.

SC preacher accused of raping women behind church - Democratic Underground

LADSON, S.C. (AP) — Dale Richardson was saved at a tent revival 32 years ago, was called to preach the Lord's word in 2006 and, for the past year, had served as pastor at Freedom Free Will Baptist Church, a modest red brick structure on a South Carolina side road running along a railroad track.

Now he's in jail, charged with kidnapping and raping three women at gunpoint — two of them in a trailer behind the church — and kidnapping a fourth who was not sexually assaulted.

According to an incident report, about noon on a Saturday last month, Richardson picked up a woman and gave her a ride. When the 20-year-old tried to get out of the car, Richardson allegedly pulled a gun, bound her hands, covered her head and took her to the gray-blue trailer home behind the church.

The church website says Richardson became pastor of the church on June 9, 2010. It says he graduated from Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va. — the college founded by evangelical preacher Jerry Falwell — and has a wife and two grown daughters.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +672 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Then why do it?

As a mod, I would think you'd hold yourself to a higher standard, no?

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

I'm trying to make the bigger point, Nikolai. I'm not trying to initiate a discussion about the preacher; I'm trying to initiate a discussion about these types of threads. I find them highly offensive and would like to see them go away.

4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Well the question becomes does whatever sect he is associated with condemn his actions or try to spin them as we see so often in other cases, like the behavior of so called moderate muslims when confronted with terror attacks by their co religionist, and how it is supported by their religious texts.

5. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

Leave it to 13 to take this thread and start bashing Islam and Muslims. :rolleyes:

13, is rape ever condoned in the bible?

Are you aware that Christianity and Islam share religious texts?

6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

I am an agnostic I have forgotten most of what I had read in the Bible. I am suggesting that what is viewed as offensive is pretty subjective and further, that whether the institution condones the crime or not is important.

I see no indication that the institution or sect this guy was associated with sought to deflect from his crime. I have seen Muslim clerics and Imam's refusing to condemn terrorist acts committed in the name of the religion.

Of course this animal isn't claiming to be raping in the name of his Christian sect is he?

BTW if convicted life is prison would be my preferred punishment for this animal.

7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

I've also seen the Catholic Church hush up, pay off, hide away, cover up and deny child abuse allegations for decades now.

Haven't you?

And if so, why mention one and not the other?

8. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

You're still missing the point that what this guy did, or some cleric in Iran sanctions, doesn't reflect on the average Muslim in the US, as much as you clearly want it to.

Just like the Catholic Church's actions in covering up their pedophilia scandal don't reflect on the Catholic next door.

Funny how you, harry and the rest never post your hatred about Catholics, and are never up in arms about Catholic churches' locations. Wonder why that is...

-----------

and that actually brings us back to Patters's point, I believe. This doesn't reflect on other Christians, just like radical Muslims' actions don't reflect on "average" American Muslims, and some gangbanger's actions don't reflect on other blacks.

Taking religion out of it, Casey Anthony doesn't reflect on other white women -- yet the usual culprits here would probably be quick to try to use it to support some stereotype had that case instea involved a single black mother.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

If the average muslim condones that action and doesn't condemn it or if the institution of the religion anywhere not just Iran is silent then yes they are guilty, Just as the catholic church was complicit covering up the activities of their priests.

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

I have a few things I would like to say, I'll be back.

11. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

no one cares... save your fingers

12. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

There have been many posts here demonstrating "average Muslims" as well as Muslim "leaders" in the US condemning terrorism. You and harry just ignore those condemnations because it doesn't fit your worldview.

You skipped over the "average" Catholic. By your own "logic," the average Catholic who hasn't spoken out against the Catholic priests' child molestation also are guilty, just like the Muslims you condemn.

But we never hear a peep out of you and harry about American catholics. And we haven't heard any complaints from you or anybody else about Catholic churches being next to schools (or having their own schools!)

Wonder why...

13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

I haven't I have seen the ew poll and Zogby polls where mmuslims are only critical of terrorism if muslims are killed. YMMV.

14. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

Why don't you post links to those so we can see exactly what those polls revealed, as opposed to what you claim they did.

btw, it isn't unnoticed that you're now changing your tune and instead relying on some alleged poll data

15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +365 / 11 / -27

Once again you cannot contribute, and are compelled to change the topic for your agenda.. in your haste to get on your soapbox, you did not read or do not understand the context of this thread..

:hijacked::hijacked::hijacked::hijacked::hijacked::hijacked:

16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +365 / 11 / -27

This continues, just last week in RI there were two deacons accused of sexual improprieties..

Every day there are articles about sexual crimes by local religious leaders of many christian faiths, however these are for the most part swept under the rug. They are the exception, not the rule.. but there are a shytload of exceptions.

There seems to be a desensitization about these types of events, so much so no one really notices or as a nation we are in denial.

17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Liberals And Islam
    LOVERS

:confused::confused:

18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

When I was a young boy in Catholic school (obscure reference: Jim Morrison), I remember feeling "disturbed" whenever a priest got within 4 feet of me. It was like a disruption in the Force or something. I could never explain it, and I just assumed that it was due to their "holiness" or special connective energy to God, or something like that. Later on, when I got wise to their "special holiness" game (around 10 years old), I began to notice things that my dad did to keep me at a distance from them whenever he could. I was never allowed to be an altar boy, I was never allowed to go on outings, or camp, or anywhere those predators were. Whenever there was a situation when they were near us, like on the steps after mass outside, or at a wake, etc, he would always put himself between them and me, and all conversations were as brief as possible. I can't ask him anymore, but I now wonder what tipped him off ...or worse.

19. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Some of the worst people you will ever meet are in churches. Of course, there are plenty of them outside of the churches as well...

The biggest problem with churches is that they are full of "people". People are flawed. The mistake most churches make is that they spend most of their time finding flaws in others...thus, whatever drove this guy to commit this atrocity remained unresolved, festered and then boiled over.

20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Organized religion I believe does more harm than good, but I do feel sorry sometimes when I bash it for the good decent people who it gives comfort too, my wife's cousin (female) was molested by an Episcopal Minister at one of those ungodly affairs (bake sale sh!t or something) that they hold in the basement of the church, they transfered the Rat Bastard to Vermont, no punishment.
    Do any of you remember Cardinal Cushing Of Boston, he was treated like God himself whenever anybody got near him they were bowing and kissing his rotten f-cking ring, he thought he was Jesus Christ, I wonder how many Child Molesteers he "covered up" he probably made them say a few Hail Marys then they moved on to the next little boy.