PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offensive Play Calling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good topic, Brady running this offense is a thing it beauty, sit back and enjoy it.
If Brady is running the offense how come we haven't seen this kind of balance between run/pass during the last couple of years. And why has Brady decided that hes going to stick to the run. In past years as soon as soon as the run didn't produce OR even if it did he would go back to the pass? Brady has a lot of input in the offense but he isn't running it McDaniles is Most of the time.

If Brady is running the offense how come we haven't seen this kind of balance between run/pass during the last couple of years. And why has Brady decided that hes going to stick to the run. In past years as soon as soon as the run didn't produce OR even if it did he would go back to the pass? Brady has a lot of input in the offense but he isn't running it McDaniles is Most of the time.

Brady is running it. Josh sends in plays and then based on personnel grouping (which has been improved flexibility wise as a base) and what defense is showing Brady has the responsibility of getting them out of a bad play and into a better one. BOB and Tom were not working with 3 viable TE's consistently or as dynamic a lead RB (who fumbled his way off the active list late last season) and they didn't have a weapon like Lloyd on the perimeter. Josh at this point in his career is probably a more dynamic OC than BOB was, but absent the weapons he struggles or he wouldn't have been available to return here. BOB and Tom had a limited offense in 2009, one in transition in 2010, one developing but still missing a couple of consistently dynamic weapons in 2011. Josh has inherited the full monty in 2012.

Not to mention the ability to play in front of a much improved defense as opposed to the defenses in transition between 2009-2011.

Last edited:
We have had many balanced games.
I'm not sure where your comment that THE PATS have talked about being more balanced for years is coming from.

Balance in the NFL today is often dictated by score. Running the ball to kill the clock with a lead tilts those numbers heavily, just as throwing every down to catch up does in the opposite direction.

Who needs "balance"?

Get to the line, see what the defense is doing, get into the correct formation and run the correct play.

If the Titans went 8/9 in the box, does anyone think we wouldn't pass?

With the natural maturation process and off season additions......this should be exponential.

Brady is running it. Josh sends in plays and then based on personnel grouping (which has been improved flexibility wise as a base) and what defense is showing Brady has the responsibility of getting them out of a bad play and into a better one. BOB and Tom were not working with 3 viable TE's consistently or as dynamic a lead RB (who fumbled his way off the active list late last season) and they didn't have a weapon like Lloyd on the perimeter. Josh at this point in his career is probably a more dynamic OC than BOB was, but absent the weapons he struggles or he wouldn't have been available to return here. BOB and Tom had a limited offense in 2009, one in transition in 2010, one developing but still missing a couple of consistently dynamic weapons in 2011. Josh has inherited the full monty in 2012.

Not to mention the ability to play in front of a much improved defense as opposed to the defenses in transition between 2009-2011.

BINGO

Mo about sums it up.

I liked O'Brien. He played a huge role in bringing the two TE offense to NE, and while his play-calling wasn't very creative, he was better at it than people give him credit for.

Having said that McDaniels is one of the best play-callers in the league. He'd be an upgrade from just about any OC.

So far so good. The balance really helped New England yesterday. When the Titans did react to the Patriots run personnel, play-action worked to a tee. Let's see if the talent can continue to flourish against the Cardinals.

I was so happy when I found out McD was coming back because what he lacks in scouting ability and overall mangement he makes up for in teaching and playcalling. I would put yesterday's games into the top 5 playcalling I've ever seen. It wasn't just the run to pass balance which was a welcome sight to see it was how, when, and where all the plays worked together. It was fairly obvious the Titans by the end of the game had given up on trying to guess a pattern. There were passes all over the field, draws, screens, trick plays. Just a GREAT game that I expect to see more of. The best part of this patriot offense is that they have the ability to attack every single area of the field. Short and long runs, the middle and with the addition of Lloyd the sidelines and deep.

The other return to the "old" offense was how involved everyone was. Insted of having 2 or 3 superstars with crazy stats now a defense has to account for everyone on the field at any given time. Pick your poison is going to be absolutly deadly this year and I believe 35 ppg is a reasonable expectation.

I did not find the play calling to be too offensive

I wasn't offended, anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back