PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offensive Play Calling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be nice if Ridley could have a Dillion like year..but i don't plan on it. That's asking for a lot

Would be nice if Ridley could have a Dillion like year..but i don't plan on it. That's asking for a lot

Clock-Killey Stevan Ridley doesn't quite have that ring to it. :)

I think Fells being out injured is what led to Connolly playing FB.. I am sure they will use Fells and the kid with name I cannot spell at FB more often.

I'm thinking with another full week of practice, we may see Hoomanawanui in this role.

McDaniels is more creative and less predictable than BoB. He is a great play caller. I hope he can become a successful head coach some day.

Pretty sure he will be one for the Pats once BB retires/moves to a consultant role.

What stuck out to me from this game was that BB seemed to be less involved in being a coordinator than the last year or two. If this continues, and he has more time to do his real jobs (at least based on his title), I can see this team turning back to the pre-2005 force. The re-appearnce of an athletic high-energy defense will not hurt either.

I think this game also taught me never to take any notice of pre-season games ( some of us maybe take longer to figure this out than others). Pre-season for the offense this year was about changing to the Josh way and figuring if Ryan's potential was enough for him to be a backup.

Only because he won't get enough carries. But I'd bet he ends season with higher ypc than Dillon ever did as a Pat.

This game plan was impressive. If we can maintain this style I expect Brady to give the 4 interceptions he threw in 2010 for a career low a run for its money.

If we can control the clock, the tempo and take are shots deep from time to time this offense will just routinely go out and score 35 points without even breaking a sweat.

It is a boring yet beautiful thing to watch.

Really want to see vereen in action for an extended time instead of him being injury prone and being released next yr because of that. Could be a great 1-2 combo.

Only because he won't get enough carries. But I'd bet he ends season with higher ypc than Dillon ever did as a Pat.

Too early to tell after 1 game but probably. They didn't have these TEs back then

This was the best job by an OC is a long time. And yes, I do understand that he had months to prepare for the opener.

Josh likes to have a fullback. Let's cut Hilliard and sign a fullback before Connolly and/or someone else has a long-term injury.

You can't really blame Connollys injury on playing FB. He is no more susceptible to injury there than at G.

The play calling showed a nervousness about the tackles.

Can you explain what you mean here?

clearly he can't. Miffed me too.

Usually if you're worried about protection you go to quick hit throws, screens etc...I didn't see much of that out of the gate. There was a mixture of three and five step drops and we even found enough time to fake up the middle and an end around before Lloyd whiffed big time wide open. We saw some screens naturally, but nothing t tell me McDaniels was concerned. In fact, he left Solder one on one much of he game.

Last edited:
Really want to see vereen in action for an extended time

If Ridley keeps sunning like he did today, and for that matter, a lot last season too, why would you want to take time and carries away from him just to see what Vereen can do?

Right now, between Woodhead and Bolden, they can do enough to give Ridley brief rests from time to time.

It is not logical.

I was really impressed with the J MDaniels play calling with his mix of passing (long, short, and intermediate) and the running game it kept the Titans off balance most of the time. IMO it was a refreshing change from air O'Brien.
See the Pats can run the ball even with a make shift line. They decided to run the ball and stuck to it unlike in the past few years.

Josh is working with a much different animal coming off an entire off season to boot. Didn't know until they mentioned it today on the broadcast that BOB was the one who worked out and pushed for Ridley in 2011. Knew he had little pass protection or pass catching at LSU but saw the promise. Just wasn't realized in 2011.

First, Vereen should be tried as a kick returner.

Second, Vereen should take reps away from Boldin. Did he show anything? I think not.

Third, Vereen might take reps away from Woodhead.

But, no, there is no reason to want a balance. Ridley is our #1 running back who we exect to have over 1000 yards this season.

If Ridley keeps sunning like he did today, and for that matter, a lot last season too, why would you want to take time and carries away from him just to see what Vereen can do?

Right now, between Woodhead and Bolden, they can do enough to give Ridley brief rests from time to time.

It is not logical.

Too early to tell after 1 game but probably. They didn't have these TEs back then

I believe he averaged 5 ypc last year and what 6 ypc today? Should come close to dillon's 4.7 if not surpass it.

It is not logical.

I don't know Ridley's body, but I'm not sure if he's built for 335 carries in a season which is what he's on pace for. I don't think I want Woodhead carrying it 6x a game either given his size, and from the looks of Bolden thus far I don't think I want to see him until garbage time. If Vereen can carry the rock about 10x a game, especially if he runs as well as he has in the few times he got on the field, it'll help this offense a ton as he's not much of a dropoff from Ridley if he is at all.

Ridley is 5-11 220lbs. He can handle the workload.

Passing wasn't as profitable and/or Brady wasn't as good a QB back then meaning the D was more focused in the running game of other teams.

Dillon also did most of his work inside the tackles and short yardage, much of the time keyed.

They are different kinds of backs, but Dillion is a borderline HOF'er and Ridley is not.

I was really impressed with the J MDaniels play calling with his mix of passing (long, short, and intermediate) and the running game it kept the Titans off balance most of the time. IMO it was a refreshing change from air O'Brien.
See the Pats can run the ball even with a make shift line. They decided to run the ball and stuck to it unlike in the past few years.

Good topic, Brady running this offense is a thing it beauty, sit back and enjoy it.

This is exactly the type of Balance that can kee defenses off balance. A legitamite running game will make everything better, plus you can actually make a game plan that features running (Jets?).

Still, it's Brady and the receivers/TE that will be prominent, but it also means they dont have to carry the load. Let's just see how the balance looks after 3-4 more games. This could be a scary time for defenses facing us if they continue to improve.

Also, Josh McD called a couple trick plays. Not used to seeing too many of those.

McDaniels is more creative and less predictable than BoB. He is a great play caller. I hope he becomes the next head coach of the New England Patriots to continue the dynasty some day.

Fixed it for you. Excellent mix of plays and commitment to sticking to the run. BOB abandoned it too easily for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back