PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offensive Play Calling

Status
Not open for further replies.

reflexblue

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I was really impressed with the J MDaniels play calling with his mix of passing (long, short, and intermediate) and the running game it kept the Titans off balance most of the time. IMO it was a refreshing change from air O'Brien.
See the Pats can run the ball even with a make shift line. They decided to run the ball and stuck to it unlike in the past few years.

Last edited:
I was really impressed with the J MDaniels play calling with his mix of passing (long, short, and intermediate) and the running game it kept the Titans off balance most of the time. IMO it was a refreshing change from air O'Brien.
See the Pats can run the ball even with a make shift line.

I think this is the O-line from here out, Solder, Mankins, Wendell, Connoly, Vollmer. That's a pretty good line.

Pefect balance that I'd like to see. Before the game was put out of reach, it was 31 pass attempts to 30 rushes. Then in garbage time Bolden's 5 carries made it 35:31 in favor of rushes. Hopefully a sign of things to come, great playcalling all around today not just the balance. Liked the screens to AH and getting Ridley to catch one out the backfield.

McDaniels is more creative and less predictable than BoB. He is a great play caller. I hope he can become a successful head coach some day.

Last edited:
A-. Very good balance but I felt there should of been more playaction and shots at Lloyd downfield.

Too bad Maverick04 has been long banned from this site or we would all be educated how McDaniels' play calling really sucked and it was just Brady and Ridley making him look good.

The play calling showed a nervousness about the tackles, and it was well-called given that limitation. As in every game, there were probably a couple of calls McDaniels wouldn't mind having back, but I thought he did a very solid job overall.

Too bad Maverick04 has been long banned from this site or we would all be educated how McDaniels' play calling really sucked and it was just Brady and Ridley making him look good.

NEM also. I believe he called him "Josh McDumb*ss" on many occasions.

I think his time away matured him, and I was incredibly happy with the playcalling and the plays. Nothing cute, nothing finesse. Very happy with how today turned out all around.

The play calling showed a nervousness about the tackles, and it was well-called given that limitation. As in every game, there were probably a couple of calls McDaniels wouldn't mind having back, but I thought he did a very solid job overall.

Can you explain what you mean here?

I don't think any player would have wanted to be in the titans defence today! There still trying to find their way to the lockers.

We haven't seen such balance on offense since the last time Corey Dillon was effective (circa 2004 or so). The Pats have talked about getting back to a more balanced attack for a few years now, but today was the closest we've seen to that other than a few games last season (like the first meeting with the Jets). I look forward to more of that this season. My fear is that we'll see the more one-dimensional offense in critical games/situations. It's imperative that this team build an early lead in every game they play.

See the Pats can run the ball even with a make shift line.

I didn't like how they got away from the play-action pass in the 2nd half. Especially when the Titans still were biting on it.

Also didn't like how he seemed to get screen happy on the 1st two series on the 2nd half.. Beyond that, I agree.

We haven't seen such balance on offense since the last time Corey Dillon was effective (circa 2004 or so). The Pats have talked about getting back to a more balanced attack for a few years now, but today was the closest we've seen to that other than a few games last season (like the first meeting with the Jets). I look forward to more of that this season. My fear is that we'll see the more one-dimensional offense in critical games/situations. It's imperative that this team build an early lead in every game they play.

We have had many balanced games.
I'm not sure where your comment that THE PATS have talked about being more balanced for years is coming from.

Balance in the NFL today is often dictated by score. Running the ball to kill the clock with a lead tilts those numbers heavily, just as throwing every down to catch up does in the opposite direction.

I see TB having a LONG career if we continue to run the ball well. I also see a nice pick coming for Mallet.

Does this offense even have a "style"? What would you NOT expect them to do on a given series?

Does this offense even have a "style"? What would you NOT expect them to do on a given series?

Hand off to the short back.

This was the best job by an OC is a long time. And yes, I do understand that he had months to prepare for the opener.

Josh likes to have a fullback. Let's cut Hilliard and sign a fullback before Connolly and/or someone else has a long-term injury.

A-. Very good balance but I felt there should of been more playaction and shots at Lloyd downfield.

Those were my thoughts too. More play action and even a screen, or two, off of that play action.

I believe that, with Ridley's good performance, the Pats now have some really good opportunities to run more play action.

I still do not like Brady in the shotgun in certain situations where it limits what the defenses have to think about.

This was the best job by an OC is a long time. And yes, I do understand that he had months to prepare for the opener.

Josh likes to have a fullback. Let's cut Hilliard and sign a fullback before Connolly and/or someone else has a long-term injury.

Hilliard is only on the roster until Vereen is healthy.

I wouldn't advise buying any Hilliard stock, it's at the peak of it's value and will be dropping precipitously.

I think Fells being out injured is what led to Connolly playing FB.. I am sure they will use Fells and the kid with name I cannot spell at FB more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes