Offensive Linemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We usually carry 8-9 offensive linemen.

WHAT IS CLEAR - TACKLES (2 of which can also play RG)
We have a solid set of 3 tackles, with 2 of them being able to play TE. I would think that we will carry a 4th, given the position flexibility of everyone but Vollmer, and the injury history of the starters. I suppose that Devey could be that 4th emergency OT.

THE FOUR TO FIVE INTERIOR LINEMEN
We have the vets, the returnees and the rookies. The 3 vets have a chance. Devey and Kline surely have a chance. Barker and Cave seem to be playing themselves off the team. 1-2 of Hilapio and Stork may make the team. Stork could end up on the PUP list or ben the IR. As of NOW, I would put Stork on the PUP and Hilapio on the team as the 9th OL. The interior line situation is far from resolved. Also, to be clear, we need to have 2 centers active for each game.

I’m disappointed that none of the 3 OL we drafted have separated themselves from the practice squad and UDFA players like Devey, Barker, Cave and others. I hope that Stork gets healthy and shows us something.

Right now the draft class is not looking that stellar with the exception of Garopollo and White (only in practice). Injuries are obviously a factor for Easley, Stork, Thomas, and Gallon so hopefully it turns around.

Just an FYI Stork does not qualify for PUP.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
Stork is not eligible for PUP

We have a solid set of 3 tackles, with 2 of them being able to play TE. I would think that we will carry a 4th, given the position flexibility of everyone but Vollmer, and the injury history of the starters. I suppose that Devey could be that 4th emergency OT.

We have the vets, the returnees and the rookies. The 3 vets have a chance. Devey and Kline surely have a chance. Barker and Cave seem to be playing themselves off the team. 1-2 of Hilapio and Stork may make the team. Stork could end up on the PUP list or ben the IR. As of NOW, I would put Stork on the PUP and Hilapio on the team as the 9th OL. The interior line situation is far from resolved. Also, to be clear, we need to have 2 centers active for each game.
Mg Stork has practiced he cannot go on pup.

I’m disappointed that none of the 3 OL we drafted have separated themselves from the practice squad and UDFA players like Devey, Barker, Cave and others. I hope that Stork gets healthy and shows us something.

Right now the draft class is not looking that stellar with the exception of Garopollo and White (only in practice). Injuries are obviously a factor for Easley, Stork, Thomas, and Gallon so hopefully it turns around.

Just an FYI Stork does not qualify for PUP.
Rookie OL drafted day 3 usually don't distinguish themselves from street fa ol.
Only here were they being talked about as starters.
If one of the 3 ever develops into a starter that would be a success. If all 3 made the 53 man roster that would be a huge huge upset.

I think that a solution to the overcrowded talent at skill positions and DB is keeping 1 less OL on the 53 (and putting them on ps) with maneri as the 3rd blocking only TE and emergency OT.

He would only play OL for part of a game if that emergency ever came up. (Id estimate over the bb era that would so far gave added up to less that 50 snaps in 14 years) and then we would bring up say Fleming from the ps for the next game.

That 9th OL would be game day inactive any way so being in the ps is fine. With maneri the 8th could also be game day inactive.

It Is What It Is >> Iron man Jordan Devey joins offensive line competition

Following the second week of preseason games, Devey was the only player in the entire NFL to go wire-to-wire in both games, as the 26-year-old has played all 148 offensive snaps for the Patriots through the first two games.

“I think he’€™s improved a lot from last year,” Belichick said. “€œHe’€™s had a good offseason. He’€™s worked really hard. He’€™s a smart guy. His fundamentals have improved. His strength is better. His offseason program was very productive. … He really was able to take advantage of that and put himself in a very competitive position.”

“I feel like I am able to sit lower in my stance and come off with a little bit more power,” Devey said. “I still feel like I have a long way to go, I haven’€™t peaked in the weight room yet. Everyday I still feel like I can get stronger.”

A number of the current Patriots starting linemen have spent time on a practice squad at one time or another, including Dan Connolly and Ryan Wendell. Seeing them get to where they are today, gives him some added confidence in getting to his goal of one day being a starting offensive lineman.

“It was incredible,”€ he said of his time on the practice squad last year. “€œWe have a lot of great guys on the o-line with a lot of experience. I knew as a practice squad guy — first off to help the defensive guys get better, but also learn from the vets — guys like Logan Mankins, Sebastian Vollmer, Nate Solder, Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell — all those guys at one point or another have been in my shoes and I learned from them and how to get better from it.”

One of the biggest things going for Devey is his ability to play almost every position on the line, as he has lined up at every spot except center this preseason.

“€œAll the coaches that I’€™ve had in the past and the coach I have now, they really stress trying to be able to play more positions,”€ Devey said. ‘€œI feel like it’€™s helped me. The more you can do, the more it helps you in the long run.”​

Just watch now that BB has gotten us thinking Devey is in line to start by playing him every snap the first 2 games he will get 12 snaps with the scrubs in the 4th quarter tomorrow. LOL

Are you saying that we need Manieri on the active roster as a tackle? If so, I disagree (unless Cannon is our starting RG).

I believe that we usually have 7 active offensive linemen, including a swing tackle. Cannon was the backup for most of last year and the year before. In the extreme emergency when 2 tackles were injured, Mankins could play LT (as he did at times last year) and Cannon could play RT.

Manieri would be needed as an OT only if someone were injured and we didn't have an OT on the Practice Squad who could be activated for the next game as the Game Day backup OT. You have stated that this is not an issue because Fleming would easily make the Practice Squad. I tend to agree that Fleming would make the PS, even though I don't think that we will cut Fleming.

KEEPING EIGHT OFFENSIVE LINEMEN
If I truly believed that our OL would be always be available from the Practice Squad, I would carry only SEVEN linemen, with the another three or four being on the Practice Squad. I don't believe that, so I advocate 8, 9 or even 10 offensive linemen.

BOTTOM LINE
If I don't believe that Cannon is a starter (and I don't), then we can play 3 OT's when we need a blocking TE.

If, and only if, Cannon is our starting RG, then I would keep Manieri on the roster as an OT/TE hybrid.

I think that a solution to the overcrowded talent at skill positions and DB is keeping 1 less OL on the 53 (and putting them on ps) with maneri as the 3rd blocking only TE and emergency OT.

He would only play OL for part of a game if that emergency ever came up. (Id estimate over the bb era that would so far gave added up to less that 50 snaps in 14 years) and then we would bring up say Fleming from the ps for the next game.

That 9th OL would be game day inactive any way so being in the ps is fine. With maneri the 8th could also be game day inactive.

Are you saying that we need Manieri on the active roster as a tackle? If so, I disagree (unless Cannon is our starting RG).

I believe that we usually have 7 active offensive linemen, including a swing tackle. Cannon was the backup for most of last year and the year before. In the extreme emergency when 2 tackles were injured, Mankins could play LT (as he did at times last year) and Cannon could play RT.

Manieri would be needed as an OT only if someone were injured and we didn't have an OT on the Practice Squad who could be activated for the next game as the Game Day backup OT. You have stated that this is not an issue because Fleming would easily make the Practice Squad. I tend to agree that Fleming would make the PS, even though I don't think that we will cut Fleming.

KEEPING EIGHT OFFENSIVE LINEMEN
If I truly believed that our OL would be always be available from the Practice Squad, I would carry only SEVEN linemen, with the another three or four being on the Practice Squad. I don't believe that, so I advocate 8, 9 or even 10 offensive linemen.

BOTTOM LINE
If I don't believe that Cannon is a starter (and I don't), then we can play 3 OT's when we need a blocking TE.

If, and only if, Cannon is our starting RG, then I would keep Manieri on the roster as an OT/TE hybrid.

I was questioning whether a solution to the overcrowding on the roster could be that we need 1 less OL if the 3rd TE can play T in an emergency.
The 9th OL will always be inactive, and the 8th often will too.
We would need 2 injuries, maybe 3 before the 9th OL would be active.
I would be fine with our 9th OL being on the practice squad. I wouldn't lose sleep over any one of the 3-4 OL that will be on the ps being plucked by another team, because it is likely we may never need that guy and the difference between those 3-4 guys is probably small.

Upon further consideration, I would rather keep 2 TEs and 9 OL though, and have the 3rd TE be an OL, simply because the 9th OL is a better player than the 3rd TE.

I agree.

Upon further consideration, I would rather keep 2 TEs and 9 OL though, and have the 3rd TE be an OL, simply because the 9th OL is a better player than the 3rd TE.

I'm confused. You're saying that Vollmer doesn't have position flexibility because he can play both LT/RT but the Pats haven't seen the need to use him at Guard?

I'm surprised that you think that Stork could end up on the PUP. No, he can't. He practiced this training camp. It's either the Short-term or long term IR for him.

To be clear, the Pats need to have 2 players CAPABLE of playing center each game. I've not seen anything from Wendell to make me thing he's going to make the team. The only thing working in his favor is that Stork hasn't practiced.

On the interior, I'd say that only Mankins and Connolly are sure things. The other 3 positions are still in play.

Yes, I am saying that Vollmer has little position flexibility, since Mankins and Cannon are both ahead of him at LT. But it really doesn't matter. I agree that Vollmer can indeed play LT.
===========
So, I got it wrong. It happens. I have several times acknowledged that I was mistaken when I thought that Stork hadn't practice at the time.
==========
I agree that that the key to the active roster, and indeed to the OL roster decisions in general is the issue of backup center.

Since you think that only Mankins and Connolly are set, apparently you think that Belichick will cut his first 4th rounder.

With regard to backup center, I think that you underestimate the importance of the backup center. In any case, either Stork is ready or he is not. If he is ready to be our active backup center, then no one has a problem with cutting Wendell. However, I certainly wouldn't cut Wendell and have Cave or barker on the 53 in his place.

BOTTOM LINE
Our Game Day backups need to be ready to play. Injuries happen. Cannon has been a solid backup since he has been active. He can backup at RT, RG and even LT. Arguably, we still have a solid line when he is playing. We MUST have an active player who we can count on to fill in if Connolly is injured. Is Stork ready? Is he close to ready? If he is close, we can keep Wendell on the roster for 4 weeks.

I'm confused. You're saying that Vollmer doesn't have position flexibility because he can play both LT/RT but the Pats haven't seen the need to use him at Guard?

I'm surprised that you think that Stork could end up on the PUP. No, he can't. He practiced this training camp. It's either the Short-term or long term IR for him.

To be clear, the Pats need to have 2 players CAPABLE of playing center each game. I've not seen anything from Wendell to make me thing he's going to make the team. The only thing working in his favor is that Stork hasn't practiced.

On the interior, I'd say that only Mankins and Connolly are sure things. The other 3 positions are still in play.

Yes, I am saying that Vollmer has little position flexibility, since Mankins and Cannon are both ahead of him at LT. But it really doesn't matter. I agree that Vollmer can indeed play LT.

Where do you get that Mankins is ahead of Vollmer at LT? The reason Mankins played LT last year was because Vollmer was on the IR.

I agree that that the key to the active roster, and indeed to the OL roster decisions in general is the issue of backup center.

Since you think that only Mankins and Connolly are set, apparently you think that Belichick will cut his first 4th rounder.

Too bad for you that there are other options besides cutting a player that can happen. Why do you keep assuming you have any clue as to what I think when you clearly don't?

With regard to backup center, I think that you underestimate the importance of the backup center. In any case, either Stork is ready or he is not. If he is ready to be our active backup center, then no one has a problem with cutting Wendell. However, I certainly wouldn't cut Wendell and have Cave or barker on the 53 in his place.

Sorry, but you have proven you have no clue what I think in regards to any position, let alone back-up center. All you have is your SWAGS with nothing to support them.

You've offered nothing to show that Barker or Cave are playing themselves off the team.

BOTTOM LINE
Our Game Day backups need to be ready to play. Injuries happen. Cannon has been a solid backup since he has been active. He can backup at RT, RG and even LT. Arguably, we still have a solid line when he is playing. We MUST have an active player who we can count on to fill in if Connolly is injured. Is Stork ready? Is he close to ready? If he is close, we can keep Wendell on the roster for 4 weeks.

Thank you captain obvious. I would have though that the Game Day back-ups would get on the job training and would never have played the positions that BB puts them in.

Yes, I am saying that Vollmer has little position flexibility, since Mankins and Cannon are both ahead of him at LT.

WHAT? Where in the world are you getting that from?

You've offered nothing to show that Barker or Cave are playing themselves off the team.

There were at least two plays where Barker was taken to the turf by an opposing DL. He looked wholly ineffective. I wouldn't even put him on the PS.

OK, I'll leave it to you to state your own position. Who are the backup centers on the 53 man roster, and which centers will be chive for Game One.

You are correct. I apologize. One should NOT make logical presumptions from your posts with regard to what you think.

And please help us if you would. Do you favor Cave over Wendell? Do you favor Barker over Wendell?

Where do you get that Mankins is ahead of Vollmer at LT? The reason Mankins played LT last year was because Vollmer was on the IR.

Too bad for you that there are other options besides cutting a player that can happen. Why do you keep assuming you have any clue as to what I think when you clearly don't?

Sorry, but you have proven you have no clue what I think in regards to any position, let alone back-up center. All you have is your SWAGS with nothing to support them.

Thank you captain obvious. I would have though that the Game Day back-ups would get on the job training and would never have played the positions that BB puts them in.

WHAT? Where in the world are you getting that from?
Let's drop this. Vollmer, Solder and Cannon are our tackles, and they all have position flexibility. It really doesn't matter to be if Vollmer is our #2 LT. We have our 3 OT's plus Mankins. We are in great shape.

BTW, who is you current option for #4 OT: none, Manieri, Fleming, other (e.g. Devey). I think that the answer is Fleming, but that is primarily because I don't think that Belichick will cut a 4th round draft cholce. Do you expect Belichick do cut Fleming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes