PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offensive Line is the Key to 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
wcda said:
To me it appeared that our offensive line did a good job in pass protection but was terrible in opening holes for our runing backs.

Brady took an absolute beating last season. Any other QB in the league would have been sacked 10 - 15 more times at least. Brady just has the ability to make more of his blocks with his pocket presense, and also makes quicker decisions than most.

Brady also shows the ability to keep his eyes downfield better than almost any QB in the league. The result? Fewer easy QB-Crouching-as-if-about-to-get-leveled sacks for Ds, but more huge after the pass hits for Brady. They don't show up in the sack column, but they do show up on Brady's body.

If it weren't for Brady our OL would have looked even worse. But as it stood Brady was hit too hard WAY too many times. Just go back and watch your game tapes. Brutal.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
I don't know but last year when Bruschi had his stroke we brough in two LB. Admittedly they didn't work out but Belichick brought a couple of guys in. This year - nothing. As I said in my thread over the weekend : 2+2=4.

Yes, well, it could be they learned something from that about how easily free agent linebackers would adapt to their system.

But listen, my disagreement with AJ was not that I think that there is a big problem with the defense -- there may or may not be. I just don't interpret the failure to draft there or sign a major free agent as a sure sign of confidence.

I'm thinking Koppen could start the year on the PUP. Recovering froma torn labrum and rebuilding the strength in the shoulder in less than a year????
I'm not so sure about him.

And Light, if he's not 100% or he has lost any quickness the Pats could move him to RT and put Kazcur in at LT. But don't forget Kazcur is coming off a shoulder injury as well. I don't think he was active for the Denver playoff game.

It seems to me that the Granham spent a lot of last season blocking on the right side and they left Kazcur to fend for himslef for the most part when he was in at LT, before he got hurt.

But I do agree that the OL plays a key role in the Pats return to the superbowl. They must be more balanced on offense in 2006.

AndyJohnson said:
We will not lose because of a defense that Bill Belechick had enough confidence in to not add a lot of players to.
The offense is full of skill position players.

The key to the 2006 Pats is going to be the OL.

I have to respectfully disagree with the premise. Two guys in the OL went down last year, and we had the depth to survive it. Depth looks better in '06, and we've re-loaded at the skill positions.

The offense will be loaded. Can we say the same for the defense? In '05 when DBs went down, the result was the 31st pass defense. OK, Starks is gone, but they feel the same way about Warfield in KC. What will happen if 2 LBs go down in '06? Where's the depth? It's early, but as of today I have to say that DB and LB will be the keys to 2006.

I seriously doubt Light will be at anything less than full strength, even in the preseason. That injured occured in SEPTEMBER. The Patriots kept the faith that he would be able to return later in the season, keeping him on the roster until late December.

Koppen was injured in November, but this isn't some brutal ACL injury. I seriously, seriously doubt he'll have to start on the PUP.

AndyJohnson said:
Isnt Hochstein the backup C?

Exactly.

Building on that, our offensive line has tremendous depth coming into this season, meaning some players that saw a lot of time on the roster last year could move to the "shadow" roster.

Light will start at LT
Mankins will start at LG
Koppen will start at C
Neal will start at RG
Kaczur could start at RT

If Light were to go down, Kaczur would shift to LT and Gorin would fill-in at RT. Britt and O'Callaghan will have to fight it out for that final, possibly non-existent 4th T spot.

Hochstein is the main inside backup. He certainly be an adequate solution at either LG, C, or RG. Beyond him, Gene Mruczkowski also is capable at all three inside positions. He saw time at LG sporadically during the season, especially when Mankins moved to LT and Ashworth to TE/FB.

Going deeper, Ross Tucker can play all 5 OL positions and would be that final piece to the puzzle if all of the above make up the rest of the roster.

Fighting for roster spots would be Billy Yates, who can also play all three inside positions. He saw a lot of time on the squad last year but rarely saw the field. Draftee Dan Stevenson looks to be a practice squad project.

Jeff Roehl has been with the Pats the past two offseasons, this year in NFLE. He's mainly a RT and RG.

Nick Steitz was signed this past offseason as well, is also in Europe, and can play LT and LG.

Undrafted rookie free agents Randy Hand and Brian Barthelmes are practice squad material at best.

~~~~

If I had to give a wild stab at the opening weekend starting lineup:

QB - Brady
RB - Dillon (Faulk on 3rd down)
FB - Pass
WR - Branch
WR - Caldwell
TE - Graham/Watson
LT - Light
LG - Mankins
C - Koppen
RG - Neal
RT - Kaczur

LE - Warren
NT - Wilfork
RE - Seymour
LOLB - Vrabel
ILB - Bruschi
ILB - Beisel
ROLB - Colvin
CB - Samuel
CB - Hobbs
FS - Wilson
SS - Harrison

Last edited:
I doubt Rodney is in that lineup... he'll need more time.

oldrover said:
I doubt Rodney is in that lineup... he'll need more time.

Just wait and see!

Last edited:
I like any roster that says Rodney starts the first game.

In terms of Light and Koppen, I don't know how we guage anything until TC, but that's the nature of the beast - we have to speculate. I like Light to start, and I'm not so sure we gain all that much with Koppen over Hochstein, especially if Hochstein plays with the rest of the O-Line through TC and preseason.

It's especially hard to get an idea of how the line plays, when you have only a relatively short period for a line's play to "gel." Coaches talk about continuity on the offensive line, usually in multi-year terms, which the Pats have not had certainly since the departure of Andruzzi. For that matter, they end up re-configuring during the season. It's quite possible that with a year together under their belts, last year's line could do just fine. Remember, this was a 10-6 team - even with a gimpy runningback and an injury merry-go-round - not a 6-10 team.

I we need to ask the question, what's the best line we can get out there, certainly. But I think we also need to ask, do we improve over '05? I think that answer is a resounding "yes," Ashworth be damned. Would you take Light over Ashworth, all apples-versus-oranges arguments aside? I would.

Now, if we see O'Callaghan pancaking dudes in training camp, we may be in for a real treat this year. But high hopes are just that - we only know he's a truck; we don't know if all 18 wheels work.

Hate to keep saying it.. but on most of this, we'll have to wait and see.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back