I hope so!

I want ur takes on this:cool:

I love the Draft.

w/ all thse acquisitions Brady will be encompased by a SHIELD

do we resign Mankins???

I hope so!

I want ur takes on this:cool:

I love the Draft.

Mankins if he chose to stay can become the "old man" and leader of the next generation Patriot's Offensive line. Or not, his choice.

The next generation bookend tackles are in place, even as the old Superbowl tackles are still here. Volmer could play either tackle but has gone to the Probowl as a sophomore at ORT. Solder, betters every one of Volmer's very impressive athletic credentials, except for raw strength. Which is what you'd expect for a guy a few years younger and closer to the TE days they both share. Mark Levoir has had occasional starts at both Left and Right tackle and is a more than acceptable OT reserve.

Dan Connelly was a revelation last year, at both G positions. Now they have added a very atypical G to the Patriot's line in rookie Marcus Cannon. He is a massive Big Body Guard, when the Patriot's usually favor more mobile Guards who are big, but not immobile hulks. We shall see. The reserves at Center have been groomed for a while in Wendell and Ohrnberger, behind Koppen. Meanwhile Light and Kaczur are hardly antiques, without merit.

Last edited:
What's the health issue with Cannon? i read he has cancer or some ****...

TY all

I posted this WAAAY b4 we had our Canon

Last edited:
My belief was the Pats would address the OL early in the draft, which they did. I felt the player/position we drafted, would supplement the veteran player. In this case, I see Matt be let go and Mankins being brought back for a long term deal.

with getting solder and not having to extend light, the pats can extend mankins and keep the OL well under any kind of budgetary number if such a thing exists.

expect an OC to be drafted next year. not that koppen is breaking the bank, but it would be good to have such a player for depth purposes and the long haul.

if cannon pans out, the OL will be in good shape even if mankins moves on next year.

I expect us to make Mankins a fine offer, and that Mankins will refuse and play out his franchise. The nfl is a business. Mankins will do his job in 2011 for $10M or so and move on. And both Mankins and the team will part on good terms.

However, we don't have the replacement for Mankins. Cannon is our RG. Ohrnberger is the only interior lineman signed passed this year. Connolly and Wendell are both signed only through 2011. Koppen is only signed through 2011.

We need interior line help. Cannon is just the start. if we look to 2012 (as we shoud0, we have a Cannon (starting RG) and Ohrnberger (backup OG).

Last edited:
By the end of the year, the OL will look like this:

SOLDER--MANKINS--KOPPEN--LIGHT--VOLLMER
KACZUR--CANNON--CONNOLLY--OHRNBERGER--LEVOIR
MANERI--WENDELL--OJINNAKA

For 2012, I can see Kaczur cut for Maneri, Mankins gone to FA or trade, LeVoir, Ohrnberger, Wendell and Ojinnaka cut to make way for a bunch of rookies.

SOLDER--CANNON--KOPPEN--LIGHT--VOLLMER
MANERI--CONNOLLY

I hope we do keep Light, I think Solder is part of a long term plan, he does not look very strong to me, he plays pretty high, He may have long arms but DL get up under him and bull rush him. He does have good feet.

Having Light around will be good for #12's health and Solder's development.

Plus would like to see a few present day Patriots players stay till they retire.

with getting solder and not having to extend light, the pats can extend mankins and keep the OL well under any kind of budgetary number if such a thing exists.

expect an OC to be drafted next year. not that koppen is breaking the bank, but it would be good to have such a player for depth purposes and the long haul.

if cannon pans out, the OL will be in good shape even if mankins moves on next year.

I hope we do keep Light, I think Solder is part of a long term plan, he does not look very strong to me, he plays pretty high, He may have long arms but DL get up under him and bull rush him. He does have good feet.

Having Light around will be good for #12's health and Solder's development.

Plus would like to see a few present day Patriots players stay till they retire.

I'm wondering how easy is it to fix that issue?

In the Cal game you could see some guys constantly getting under him and just blowing right past him and in the senior bowl drills you could see Von Miller just blasting him into the QB.

What happens when James Harrison and DeMarcus Ware coming at him? And he could very realisticly be facing those guys this year.

I'm guessing we should be able to sign Mankins. I'd like Keep Light as well but it's not looking like that is going to happen unless we have a a 2 year deal on the table that both parties can agree to.

A Mankins signing I could definitely see but I'm not sure paying a guard that much money over say a 5 or 6 year deal won't affect the signing of both Solder and Vollmer when their contracts expire. Alot will depend on the length of Solders first deal and the guaranteed money in the last 2 years of Mankins contract. Makes me wonder what the future is for Center on the team? I'm thinking one of those first or 2nds will net us a talent like Mike Brewster or Peter Konz in 2012 which may save money towards the cap with the release of Koppen.{If there is a cap?)

I'm not going to speculate too much. There is a dude running this team with a economics degree to do all the calculating for me.

For 2012, I can see Kaczur cut for Maneri, Mankins gone to FA or trade, LeVoir, Ohrnberger, Wendell and Ojinnaka cut to make way for a bunch of rookies.
Maneri taking Kaczur is a no brainer

No way can #17 in the draft sit, Light is gone.
Mankins is being held captive on principal to check into trade value nothing more, his tag will go and so will he.
Cannon, I dont see his fit into this high IQ system. If anything he is a LG.
Kaczur has value in flexibility, he is one of our 5 best OL right now, sorry, RG.
Koppen, last year on his contract, swan song.
Vollmer-SOLID.
Thats how I see it shaking out barring a OG in FA that beats out Connolly for LG or Kaczur at RG....and if so bye bye Nick.

What you leave out is that players can make choices to play for teams other than the patriots, no matter what fair price the patriots decide to pay.

I'm guessing we should be able to sign Mankins. I'd like Keep Light as well but it's not looking like that is going to happen unless we have a a 2 year deal on the table that both parties can agree to.

A Mankins signing I could definitely see but I'm not sure paying a guard that much money over say a 5 or 6 year deal won't affect the signing of both Solder and Vollmer when their contracts expire. Alot will depend on the length of Solders first deal and the guaranteed money in the last 2 years of Mankins contract. Makes me wonder what the future is for Center on the team? I'm thinking one of those first or 2nds will net us a talent like Mike Brewster or Peter Konz in 2012 which may save money towards the cap with the release of Koppen.{If there is a cap?)

I'm not going to speculate too much. There is a dude running this team with a economics degree to do all the calculating for me.

2012 - The pats draft David DeCastro and Mike Brewster (LG and C)

Koppen and Mankins are gone

We also draft a top end WR

Job done

No way can #17 in the draft sit, Light is gone.
Mankins is being held captive on principal to check into trade value nothing more, his tag will go and so will he.

Not sure that I agree that Mankins will not play for 10 million this year. That's an awful lot of incentive for him to stick around another yr. The optimists in us are still hoping that they can agree to a long term deal. That would also give them a whole extra yr to try and do so.

Cannon, I dont see his fit into this high IQ system. If anything he is a LG.

Actually, he is a RG for sure. Not sure why you wouldn't agree.

Last edited:
I'm all for keeping Mankins. I don't think anyone wants to lose him. It's just a matter of cost.

If the cap shrinks dramatically like many expect, then the Patriots offer might look a lot better, especially with so many teams suddenly being over the cap and not able to make big offers.

SOLDER--MANKINS--KOPPEN--LIGHT--VOLLMER
KACZUR--CANNON--CONNOLLY--OHRNBERGER--LEVOIR
MANERI--WENDELL--OJINNAKA

SOLDER--CANNON--KOPPEN--LIGHT--VOLLMER
MANERI--CONNOLLY

Ojinnaka is a FA and likely won't be back. There have already been rumors of Kazcur being cut if he doesn't take a pay cut from his $3.5M salary this year. I think they will resign Light to a 2 year deal around $6.5M and hopefully resign Mankins as well even if just for 1 year. They will only carry 8-9 OL and I don't think Maneri will make it back to the PS this year.

My 2011 Line
LIGHT--MANKINS--KOPPEN--CONNOLLY--VOLLMER
SOLDER--CANNON--WENDELL--MANERI

Cannon and Solder are Orhnberger and Levoir's replacements with Wendell backing up Koppen. In 2012 I think they will let Light go and resign Koppen to a 1-2 year deal and draft a C.

My 2012 Line
SOLDER--MANKINS--KOPPEN--CANNON--VOLLMER
MANERI--ROOKIE C & OG

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey