Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How are the areas of the Offense playing?

• Receivers are playing better

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Receivers are playing the same

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Receivers are playing worse

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • O-Line is playing better

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • O-Line is playing the same

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • O-Line is playing worse

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Backs are playing better

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • Backs are playing the same

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Backs are playing worse

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In reading a few of the threads today, it seems clear that there's a diversity of thought about where the team is at right now. So I thought it was time for a few polls.

How would you rate the progress of the levels of the Offense? This one is tougher to break down with the 10 options limit, so I have to combine TEs with WRs, and QBs with RBs. Please note that doing so is not an attempt to manipulate the poll, but is a result of format limitations.

I think the running game has improved a great deal since Week 1.

I think that the running game has improved significantly, with Maroney stepping up and running probably the best that he has since we drafted him. Hopefully the return of Fred Taylor will give the running game a further boost.

The OL is playing better with Light and Vollmer at tackles. The absence of Neal has hurt. I think that a line of Light-Mankins-Koppen-Neal-Vollmer will be a considerable upgrade over anything we have seen this season.

TB seems to have regressed some. I'm hoping it is due to being banged up.

I think the running game has improved a great deal since Week 1.

Agreed and with Seabass in there instead of (I get my ass beat every play) Kazcur I believe that will help give a toughness to the running game and maybe open up more holes......Hopefully it will allow us to pound the ball in the playoffs to take the stress off of the receivers and brady....

Receivers are playing the same.

O-line is playing better.

Backs are playing better.

It's the play calling and design which is bad. Predictable, boring. As predictable as a fullback dive on 4th and 2 (which gets stuffed for a loss of one, mind you).

Simms had it right, when you have a formation from which you can do anything, run, pass, etc., the defense has a lack of information which hurts them. We meanwhile go 5 wide, whereas there's no chance brady even looks at 2 of them....or single back maroney in the backfield, gee, do you think it's going to be a run off tackle?

I've made my feelings on the offense pretty clear - I think the biggest issue right now has to be the #3 wide receiver position. Both TB and BB have said they were trying to go to other targets, implying - or BB might've even stated it - that they weren't open.

Sam Aiken is no David Patten or David Givens. A healthy Julian Edelman + Sam Aiken MIGHT do the job, but as long as Edelman has that cast on his arm, it'll be tough for him to contribute like he was earlier in the season.

It's a little much to ask a career special teamer and a 7th round rookie quarterback turned wideout to line up across Randy Moss and Wes Welker and try and be a comparable weapon.

Last edited:
Interesting to note that, to this point, people are rating the backs and line as improved, and the receivers as staying the same even though the offense has clearly been struggling of late.

That would seem to indicate that people are either blaming it all on the O.C. and opponents, or are struggling with the issue of the backs and receivers not being broken down into subcategories.

That would seem to indicate that people are either blaming it all on the O.C. and opponents, or are struggling with the issue of the backs and receivers not being broken down into subcategories.

Personally, I suppose I don't know enough the game of football to confidently say that my skepticism of Bill O'Brien is warranted. That said, I'm not sure how someone could say he's doing his job well when it does look like defenses are able to take out our top weapons, and our other guys can't get open. Maybe it is just the lack of talent at wideout beyond the top two guys.

Offensive problem areas
1. Brady fixated on 2 players at the expense of other options
2. Other receiving options (TE, 3rd, 4th WRs, but NOT Faulk) not playing well enough consistently to earn QB's trust
3. QB missing most long passes and throwing too often right into coverage
4. Moss inconsistent and in a funk
5. Piss poor play calling by OC
6. Stud ORG Neal missing games
7. Koppen and the guards leting Brady get rushed up the middle too often

EDIT: How could I forget the biggie? QB has several injuries...shoulder, ribs, finger, etc.

The Gooder Stuff:
1. Maroney running well
2. SeaBass is the real deal
3. Young-uns at WR look promising for the future

Last edited:
I didn't vote in the poll because I don't think there are any substantial offensive improvements. I think once Brady shook the rust off that was apparent, and shortly thereafter he was battling really debilitating injuries again, as he has down the stretch in 4 of the last 5 seasons (although we don't generally know they existed until after the fact) - the exception being the one time he went out altogether in week 1.

I found this little nugget buried on the last page of MMQB's weekly ramblings.

Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel football writer Bob McGinn's superbly researched The Ultimate Super Bowl Book. In game after game we thought we knew well, McGinn sheds the kind of light that only a deft student of the game can. He has a chapter, 10 to 12 pages, on each Super Bowl game.

I'll give you an example of the knowledge McGinn conveys, using the Giants-Patriots game two years ago as an example, talking about what McGinn correctly saw as the factor in the game that most influenced the outcome: defensive pressure by the Giants' four-man front. "Our guys were possessed, no question,'' then-Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo told McGinn.

Writes McGinn: "Playing the final game of his brilliant 15-year career, [Michael] Strahan led the onslaught with 5.5 pressures. [Justin] Tuck contributed 4.5 and [Osi] Umenyiora had 3.5. Two of Spagnuolo's blitzers, [Kawika] Mitchell and [Gibril] Wilson, each had two pressures ... [Logan] Mankins, [Matt] Light and center Dan Koppen all made the Pro Bowl for a New England line expertly coached by Dante Scarnecchia since 1999. Mankins allowed 5.5 pressures, while Light and right tackle Nick Kaczur allowed four each ... 'Trust me,' special teams coach Brad Seely said months later, 'I know Scarnecchia is still sick about it. Tom was running for his life.' ''

Tony Romo carries Cowboys; Panthers stun Vikings; more - Peter King - SI.com

Just reading that makes me feel a little sick to my stomach...

Our offensive line remains an enigma to me. Individually, they are all above average players, collectively, they seem prone to breakdowns in both the running & passing game. It's not the most consistent line - Mankins is a better run blocker than pass blocker, Light is a better pass blocker than run blocker. Koppen is prone to getting overpowered in both. I think both Brady and Cassel (once he got his feet wet) make them look better than they are. When the QBs are playing at a high level, the O-Line looks elite.

The strangest thing to me is just how drastic a difference there appears to be in both the running and pass blocking when Stephen Neal is out. His injury cost us SB42, I have no doubt in my mind about that one. I can't pinpoint why. Is he that good? Or is the depth behind him that weak?

Last edited:
It's tough to say for me... I think all areas are playing about as well as they were in the first few weeks of the season, but have regressed in some areas since the midway point.

Brady started slow, got better, now has regressed a bit. Though how much of that is injury we don't know. Still, I think the running backs have improved, so the whole area is a wash.

WR's are about the same. Moss and Welker still do their jobs, and as inconsistent as Aiken has been, he's no worse than Galloway was.

OL i've been pretty happy with all year. Some struggles at times, but overall I don't think they're the problem.

Offensive problem areas
1. Brady fixated on 2 players at the expense of other options
2. Other receiving options (TE, 3rd, 4th WRs, but NOT Faulk) not playing well enough consistently to earn QB's trust
3. QB missing most long passes and throwing too often right into coverage
4. Moss inconsistent and in a funk
5. Piss poor play calling by OC
6. Stud ORG Neal missing games
7. Koppen and the guards leting Brady get rushed up the middle too often

EDIT: How could I forget the biggie? QB has several injuries...shoulder, ribs, finger, etc.

The Gooder Stuff:
1. Maroney running well
2. SeaBass is the real deal
3. Young-uns at WR look promising for the future

In all fairness #7 seems to be a direct result of #6. Connelly or whoever else they put out there at ROG is just not getting the job done. It might help if Mankins was dominating more, but Koppen is really struggling this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back