Welcome to PatsFans.com

Offensive improvements?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Deus Irae, Dec 21, 2009.

?

How are the areas of the Offense playing?

1. Receivers are playing better

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Receivers are playing the same

21 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Receivers are playing worse

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  4. O-Line is playing better

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. O-Line is playing the same

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  6. O-Line is playing worse

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  7. Backs are playing better

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
  8. Backs are playing the same

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  9. Backs are playing worse

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +871 / 45 / -48

Disable Jersey

In reading a few of the threads today, it seems clear that there's a diversity of thought about where the team is at right now. So I thought it was time for a few polls.

How would you rate the progress of the levels of the Offense? This one is tougher to break down with the 10 options limit, so I have to combine TEs with WRs, and QBs with RBs. Please note that doing so is not an attempt to manipulate the poll, but is a result of format limitations.
  2. Mosi Moose

Mosi Moose Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think the running game has improved a great deal since Week 1.
  3. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380 / 0 / -1

I think that the running game has improved significantly, with Maroney stepping up and running probably the best that he has since we drafted him. Hopefully the return of Fred Taylor will give the running game a further boost.

The OL is playing better with Light and Vollmer at tackles. The absence of Neal has hurt. I think that a line of Light-Mankins-Koppen-Neal-Vollmer will be a considerable upgrade over anything we have seen this season.

TB seems to have regressed some. I'm hoping it is due to being banged up.
  4. bigcountry75

bigcountry75 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Agreed and with Seabass in there instead of (I get my ass beat every play) Kazcur I believe that will help give a toughness to the running game and maybe open up more holes......Hopefully it will allow us to pound the ball in the playoffs to take the stress off of the receivers and brady....
  5. SyN65

SyN65 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Receivers are playing the same.

O-line is playing better.

Backs are playing better.
  6. klinefan

klinefan Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's the play calling and design which is bad. Predictable, boring. As predictable as a fullback dive on 4th and 2 (which gets stuffed for a loss of one, mind you).

Simms had it right, when you have a formation from which you can do anything, run, pass, etc., the defense has a lack of information which hurts them. We meanwhile go 5 wide, whereas there's no chance brady even looks at 2 of them....or single back maroney in the backfield, gee, do you think it's going to be a run off tackle?
  7. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0

I've made my feelings on the offense pretty clear - I think the biggest issue right now has to be the #3 wide receiver position. Both TB and BB have said they were trying to go to other targets, implying - or BB might've even stated it - that they weren't open.

Sam Aiken is no David Patten or David Givens. A healthy Julian Edelman + Sam Aiken MIGHT do the job, but as long as Edelman has that cast on his arm, it'll be tough for him to contribute like he was earlier in the season.

It's a little much to ask a career special teamer and a 7th round rookie quarterback turned wideout to line up across Randy Moss and Wes Welker and try and be a comparable weapon.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  8. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +871 / 45 / -48

Disable Jersey

Interesting to note that, to this point, people are rating the backs and line as improved, and the receivers as staying the same even though the offense has clearly been struggling of late.

That would seem to indicate that people are either blaming it all on the O.C. and opponents, or are struggling with the issue of the backs and receivers not being broken down into subcategories.
  9. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0

Personally, I suppose I don't know enough the game of football to confidently say that my skepticism of Bill O'Brien is warranted. That said, I'm not sure how someone could say he's doing his job well when it does look like defenses are able to take out our top weapons, and our other guys can't get open. Maybe it is just the lack of talent at wideout beyond the top two guys.
  10. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +820 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

Offensive problem areas
    1. Brady fixated on 2 players at the expense of other options
    2. Other receiving options (TE, 3rd, 4th WRs, but NOT Faulk) not playing well enough consistently to earn QB's trust
    3. QB missing most long passes and throwing too often right into coverage
    4. Moss inconsistent and in a funk
    5. Piss poor play calling by OC
    6. Stud ORG Neal missing games
    7. Koppen and the guards leting Brady get rushed up the middle too often

EDIT: How could I forget the biggie? QB has several injuries...shoulder, ribs, finger, etc.

The Gooder Stuff:
    1. Maroney running well
    2. SeaBass is the real deal
    3. Young-uns at WR look promising for the future
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  11. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

I didn't vote in the poll because I don't think there are any substantial offensive improvements. I think once Brady shook the rust off that was apparent, and shortly thereafter he was battling really debilitating injuries again, as he has down the stretch in 4 of the last 5 seasons (although we don't generally know they existed until after the fact) - the exception being the one time he went out altogether in week 1.

I found this little nugget buried on the last page of MMQB's weekly ramblings.

Tony Romo carries Cowboys; Panthers stun Vikings; more - Peter King - SI.com
  12. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0

Just reading that makes me feel a little sick to my stomach...

Our offensive line remains an enigma to me. Individually, they are all above average players, collectively, they seem prone to breakdowns in both the running & passing game. It's not the most consistent line - Mankins is a better run blocker than pass blocker, Light is a better pass blocker than run blocker. Koppen is prone to getting overpowered in both. I think both Brady and Cassel (once he got his feet wet) make them look better than they are. When the QBs are playing at a high level, the O-Line looks elite.

The strangest thing to me is just how drastic a difference there appears to be in both the running and pass blocking when Stephen Neal is out. His injury cost us SB42, I have no doubt in my mind about that one. I can't pinpoint why. Is he that good? Or is the depth behind him that weak?
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  13. Sicilian

Sicilian On the Roster

Ratings:
    +265 / 1 / -2

It's tough to say for me... I think all areas are playing about as well as they were in the first few weeks of the season, but have regressed in some areas since the midway point.

Brady started slow, got better, now has regressed a bit. Though how much of that is injury we don't know. Still, I think the running backs have improved, so the whole area is a wash.

WR's are about the same. Moss and Welker still do their jobs, and as inconsistent as Aiken has been, he's no worse than Galloway was.

OL i've been pretty happy with all year. Some struggles at times, but overall I don't think they're the problem.
  14. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

In all fairness #7 seems to be a direct result of #6. Connelly or whoever else they put out there at ROG is just not getting the job done. It might help if Mankins was dominating more, but Koppen is really struggling this year.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.