PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offense...Worse In The Brady Era

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking about the post you replied to, not yours. The original post to this thread was total fabrication and BS.

Ok ...Expert...GO back and watch the game......We should have scored alot more points. Texas is awful and we had problems with drives and getting into the end zone. I know we had great field position and that is th eonly reason our Offense looked any good at all.Go back and please point out to me what was great and encouraging about our offense today...When you do that please take into consideration who our oppenent was......The only positive I took from today was there was no turnovers. I mean people ar entitled to there opinions without morons getting on here and spouting BS this and #$@% that. This board at moments lately from certain people is starting to resemble Juvenile correctional institute forum. Certain people will jump on a thread and will act as if teh thread was something nasty about there mother.Instead of offering counter points they do what ignorant people do and they start rambling with profanity and don't come anywhere close to rational, informative posting.To the ones who do that I say....seejk help and ignore stuff you don't care for, or respond constructively!

This means if he matures nicely next year and plays well....we are already looking at the end of his tenure with the Pats. For with the funny money around the league, he wont be around long. So to me, already, he's cost this team too much..... Unless we sign him to an extension after this season for cheap. Hmmmm

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3650

Actually, Jackson signed a 4 year deal when he was drafted, at least according to RotoWorld - he isn't a UFA until 2010.

The point is, we're not the worst anything right now. The title of this thread is stupid.

We have one young receiver that had a training camp and he's doing pretty well. We just had to cut someone. The other guy was picked up mid season and hasn't got the repetitions and our draft pick has been injured.

I am anxious to see improvement on the offense and I thought it was crisper today.

We had good field position and an early lead so we didn't see a great passing game. The screen passes were good.

I saw crispness, still a lot of room for improvement, but good rhythm on the running and passing.

I'm sorry Joe, improvement is a process, not a miracle.

People, (not you), that see some improvement and 40 points on the board and still post stuff saying worst offense evah!!!!!!! are babies.

Adults realize progress takes time and hard work.

We just cut Gabriel and are revamping our offense to include Gaffney and maybe Jackson.

I welcome any constructive talk about how to improve our offense this year, since that's all we can control.

Any parent knows that babies don't understand you can't have everything right away, so you just have to let them cry.

Hold on a minute while I get my 5 year old daughter to reply so I can get on your level...." Your stupid...Na NA Na " There will that help us communicate better now.....

Our defense in 2002 was swiss cheese......We had a run defense problem similar to what the Colts are experiencing this year. Go back and look at the games or the numbers, but it was our D that let us down that year. I mean our Defense is good this year, but our Offense isn't productive and has gotten worse during the course of the season......I mean maybe I've missed something, but I'm not comfortable right now with us being able to come up with th epoints needed against a good defense....Andf it's all not about the passing game. But when you are Glaringly weak in one aspect on offense it can makes the best part of your offense even less productive. And tha tis what has happened to us this year. As the season has gone on Teams have schemed to take away our running game and have had safeties hovering the line, not fearing our passing game. And what has happened is that our running game has stalled and we have been unable to make teams respect the pass.

And to those who say Well Watson wasn't on the field today and he is one of our best weapons...I say..Oh really.....I think Watson as of late has been more of a liability.

Again of course I think Maroney will help, but if we don't get a consistent passing game that teams have to respect, then Maroney won't be able to help out much either....

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3650

Actually, Jackson signed a 4 year deal when he was drafted, at least according to RotoWorld - he isn't a UFA until 2010.

Wish me luck getting this reply in... I got kicked off again and it took 30 min to get back on!

Thanks for the link, but I thought with the new CBA that rookie contracts could be no longer than 3 years with the exception of first rounders? That would have made him a RFA at the end of next season, hence my statement. I stand corrected. But could anyone explain that new rule in the CBA again?

Wish me luck getting this reply in... I got kicked off again and it took 30 min to get back on!

Thanks for the link, but I thought with the new CBA that rookie contracts could be no longer than 3 years with the exception of first rounders? That would have made him a RFA at the end of next season, hence my statement. I stand corrected. But could anyone explain that new rule in the CBA again?

What you posted sounded legit to me. I only looked up CJ's contract to see if that was true for him - all that came up was the rotoworld stuff, but they're usually pretty reliable.

Maybe the new CBA goes in effect with next year's draft? I'm not very knowledgable at these things.

Hold on a minute while I get my 5 year old daughter to reply so I can get on your level...." Your stupid...Na NA Na " There will that help us communicate better now.....

Our defense in 2002 was swiss cheese......We had a run defense problem similar to what the Colts are experiencing this year. Go back and look at the games or the numbers, but it was our D that let us down that year. I mean our Defense is good this year, but our Offense isn't productive and has gotten worse during the course of the season......I mean maybe I've missed something, but I'm not comfortable right now with us being able to come up with th epoints needed against a good defense....Andf it's all not about the passing game. But when you are Glaringly weak in one aspect on offense it can makes the best part of your offense even less productive. And tha tis what has happened to us this year. As the season has gone on Teams have schemed to take away our running game and have had safeties hovering the line, not fearing our passing game. And what has happened is that our running game has stalled and we have been unable to make teams respect the pass.

And to those who say Well Watson wasn't on the field today and he is one of our best weapons...I say..Oh really.....I think Watson as of late has been more of a liability.

Again of course I think Maroney will help, but if we don't get a consistent passing game that teams have to respect, then Maroney won't be able to help out much either....

Does she get angry when you take her bottle?

Which team doesn't have areas they need to work on?

You offer no analysis, no constructive criticism, just whining that we have the worst offense evah, when we had 27 points by half time.

Sounds like you need to be a Colts fan. This team is only about scoring enough points to win games, not running up the score.

And I hate to disillusion you, but the Colts might have a tiny little problem with that defense.:rolleyes:

Sorry, man, but she's right.

I'm not going to get into the tit for tat crap.

We're a solid 11th in points and yards per game. We were 12th and 17th in those respectively in 2003. Yes, a Weis led SB winner. But, I know, none of that matters.

So I'll look at Football Outsiders' rankins.

We're 8th offensively. We were 14th in 2003. Our passing ranks 8th this year. It was 10th in 2003.

And this was before today.

I'm not going to bother with anything else. You'll say stats don't matter. Whatever. FO's efficiency rankings are pretty darn good and certainly better than random ramblings here.

Sorry, man, but she's right.

I'm not going to get into the tit for tat crap.

We're a solid 11th in points and yards per game. We were 12th and 17th in those respectively in 2003. Yes, a Weis led SB winner. But, I know, none of that matters.

So I'll look at Football Outsiders' rankins.

We're 8th offensively. We were 14th in 2003. Our passing ranks 8th this year. It was 10th in 2003.

And this was before today.

I'm not going to bother with anything else. You'll say stats don't matter. Whatever. FO's efficiency rankings are pretty darn good and certainly better than random ramblings here.

And we're 6th in the AFC in scoring. But we must look beyond that BFan.

I know some will start pointing out numbers and stats and such....but I look at more then that....

You see it's more than statistics and obviously more than wins and losses it's..............................................................................

Well I haven't figured out what it is, but when I do I'll get back to you.:D

And we're 6th in the AFC in scoring. But we must look beyond that BFan.
Points don't matter. It's how the offense looks to Patriots' fans that matters.

:bricks:

There is nothing wrong in pointing out the negatives from today's game. That is the purpose of the forums, not to just sit there, smile, nod your head, and say rah rah all the time. Your comments have a lot of validity to them.

While we had a good win, and one that all of us are extremely happy about, as ANY win would make us happy, as it should, there were a lot of things that took place in this victory that need to be corrected, again, if we are to be successful next week, on the road, against a team that is better than the one we played today, and is playing for their season.....

I went back to the complete game book on nfl.com regarding our game. And while we did score 40 points (7 on a KO return.) on four occasions we were given extremely good field position by the defense and on all four of them we barely moved the ball and had to settle for field goals.... and against Houston we can get away with bad play calling like this, but on the road, against a potential playoff team, or at least a contender for the wild card, this is not acceptable, and will be a catalyst for defeat.....

I did a little more checking to find out why this may have occured, and I discovered that on 23 first down plays (might be off a bit) only 5 of them were passing plays. (not including the kneel down sequences)

This, IMO, put us into difficult third down situations and was responsible for not being successful on those third downs and having to settle for field goals instead of TDs.

Against better opponents we can not afford to give up four points and settle for 3 instead of 7, especially on four drives that started in their territory...

As much as some people in this forum will disagree with me, I attribute it to bad play calling, not bad execution..no fumbles,no interceptions, etc...NO EXCUSES except for far too many conservative first down play calls.

If we follow this same play calling pattern next Sunday, in Jacksonville, Ishudder to think what the end result will be. Hopefully we will see a more agressive offense, in a game that we can not lose, under any conditions. Our worst enemy next week will be from within, not on the other side of the field. Just my opinion, nothing else.

Hey NEM, why don't you use foot high letters, I almost didn't see your post.

Still looking for disciples, I see.:D

I might have agreed, but you must remember wins don't matter either.

I know there's something that matters, but I can't remember what it is.:confused:

Truth and facts bother you??????

Big enough????? :D

I'm only teasing NEM, you can put your posts in whatever color you'd like.

It's not like I read them or anything.:D

Personally I don't think "She" Jackson played today because they are still resting him.... Why rush his injury?

In my opinion, the worst offense in the Brady era was the 2003 offense. And we won a Super Bowk that year. Our running game was 27th in the league. We averaged 314.7 YPG that year vs. 335.8 YPG this year (granted that will drop to 324.9 after today). We averaged 21.8 PPG in 2003, after today we will average 22.9 PPG. We had four games where we scored 12 points or less in 2003 all of which we didn't score a TD. We have had two games this year and one we scored a TD. We were shutout once each year. We have had a turnover problem this year, but in 2003 we turned over the ball 24 times which is the same amount we have this year. Assuming we don't turn over the ball again this year, we will be the same in turnovers.

What you posted sounded legit to me. I only looked up CJ's contract to see if that was true for him - all that came up was the rotoworld stuff, but they're usually pretty reliable.

Maybe the new CBA goes in effect with next year's draft? I'm not very knowledgable at these things.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/07/index.html
I found a link, near the bottom of the page. 2nd round and lower is a 4 year maximum, which gives us 2 more seasons before RFA. The top half of the 1st is 6 years, then 5 years for the second half of the first. Sorry about all the numbers and quick writing. I keep losing this connection. It is definitely a problem with patsfans and not on my side though.

In my opinion, the worst offense in the Brady era was the 2003 offense. And we won a Super Bowk that year. Our running game was 27th in the league. We averaged 314.7 YPG that year vs. 335.8 YPG this year (granted that will drop to 324.9 after today). We averaged 21.8 PPG in 2003, after today we will average 22.9 PPG. We had four games where we scored 12 points or less in 2003 all of which we didn't score a TD. We have had two games this year and one we scored a TD. We were shutout once each year. We have had a turnover problem this year, but in 2003 we turned over the ball 24 times which is the same amount we have this year. Assuming we don't turn over the ball again this year, we will be the same in turnovers.

Don't confuse the argument with facts. Statistics and wins and losses don't matter.

Only that ideal perfect team we used to have, or the one we could have had if we just traded for T.O. and Randy Moss like the real football experts suggested.

I could find stats like those all over the place, year after year, if I wanted to take the time to look, of teams that won NOTHING.
Yeah whatever. The question here is our offense and it's good. Teams that won nothing probably had a bad defense - we have the #2 scoring defense in the league.

He gets it!!! Well done BelichickFan!

One could make a case that statistically the 2002 passing offense was better than those of 2003 & 2004.

Of course, we all know that wasn't the case.

Don't confuse the argument with facts. Statistics and wins and losses don't matter.

Only that ideal perfect team we used to have, or the one we could have had if we just traded for T.O. and Randy Moss like the real football experts suggested.

I am not confusing arguements with facts. Our defense won games that year, not the offense. When we beat a bad Browns team that year by a score of 9-3, it was the defense that won that game because scoring 9 points against any team ain't going to cut it if your defense is dominant.

We scored less points per game on offense that year and we had 5 defensive TDs to pad that stat.

Against Miami in that snow game, Tedy Bruschi had as many points as our offense did with six points. We punted the ball 11 times. Seven of those punts were 3 and outs.

Against the Giants that year, Matt Chatham had as many TDs as all the offensive players combines which was one. We went three and out that game 5 times, 4 and out once, and 5 and out twice.

Against Dallas that year, we went 3 and out five times and 4 and out once against one TD and two field goals.

Against Denver that year, we turned the ball over 4 times. We went 3 and out three times and 4 and out one time.

Against Miami the first time, we punted six times. Not one of those drives made it for 20 yards and we had four three and outs. We also fumbled the ball twice in that game.

Against Washington, we turned the ball over 4 times.

Our 2003 offense wasn't that good at all. People just like to remember fondly on those days as if Weis had this team running like a well oiled machine. It wasn't it was painfully inconsistent. If our defense wasn't so dominant, we wouldn't have had a chance that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back