PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offense Thrives against Poor Run DEfense

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPatBoy

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
It was clear last week that when we play a team who is weak against the run our offense is obviously better. Teams like Denver and Miami who are good against the run have made our offense look out of sync and inefficient. It's games like today that make me realize that we still have a ways to go before we have a formiddable passing attack. I also dodn't like the idea of running Maroney between the tackles 99% of the time, especially when the oppsoing D is shutting it down. Maroney needs to run more stretch plays and runs outside the tackle. I would have liked to see them try more of those this game. We are 4-1 and I'll take it, I just hope we can get that passing attack going so teams have to play us somewhat neutral on defense. It is clear though that when you look at the Colts, having great WR's and no running game can make your QB and team look not very effective on offense. Just look at Mannings numbers this year.....He somehow gets a free pass with the media!!!

Last edited:
what will happen when we face the bears. And no more wait until Gabriel and Jackson replies. A trade is needed.

From what I have observed Maroney has had trouble thus far against good and "fast" defenses such as Denver and Miami. We dont know why Dillon wasnt in there toward the end, but he was running more effectively than Maroney was throughout the game, nothing fantastic, but effective. and dillon was out most of the denver game as well.

kptmorgan04 said:
From what I have observed Maroney has had trouble thus far against good and "fast" defenses such as Denver and Miami. We dont know why Dillon wasnt in there toward the end, but he was running more effectively than Maroney was throughout the game, nothing fantastic, but effective. and dillon was out most of the denver game as well.

When any runner runs against good , big D Lines...they have a hard time. Adjustments need to be made....Maroney often was hit at the line and managed 2-3 yards.........He is not a finesse back.......We didn't really test the edges with the run all day and that was playcalling to blame...It was like we were hell bent to try and go right up the gut......Sometimes that doesn't work. You can't forget that teams are playing the run all the way with us right now. They don't respect our passing attack and you really can't blame them until we are able to make them pay consistently for bringing extra bodies to the line of scrimmage!

The Broncos and Dolphins both have good defenses. That is why the offense struggled both weeks. The Bengals have a crappy defense that's why the offense was good. The true test will be when they play an average defense and see how they fare.

Our offense is abysmal.

Where are the screens? The short passing game? Where is Chad Jackson? Has Brady gotten over his broken heart yet? Why run Maroney into a crowd at the line...is that the strength of a slashing type runner?

NEM said:
:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

We need to score early and often in both games. I wonder if McDaniels has the cajones and the intelliglence to know what has to be done. I, for one, DO know....and quite frankly, I believe that there are many others in this forum that know what has to be done too.

This offensive garbage play calling has got to end NOW......

What are you gonna do Nemmy, stage a coup? :rofl:

R_T26 said:
And no more wait until Gabriel and Jackson replies. A trade is needed.

this is a ridiculous post. Why shouldn't we wait? This kind of performance ALWAYS occurs v. the dolphins - even with Branch and Givens. Newbies blow.

NEM said:
Prove what I said to be incorrect.

You're totally right.

The play calling from a couple years ago is stark.

Where are the screens? Why do they not do that anymore? Those were great plays they'd run 5-10 times a GAME.

The deep passing game is kind of hard to get going, Brady's arm isn't that accurate or strong enough for it. Not anymore.

The short passing game was a strong point. Now it's gone.

Someone needs to get fired and some OC needs to get hired.

Imagine Maroney running screens? One or two cuts and he's good for 20-30 yards. Instead it's Maroney into a wall at the LOS. Brilliant. And then do it again, and again. Maroney had a 2 YPC average today at best.

Willie55 said:
The Broncos and Dolphins both have good defenses. That is why the offense struggled both weeks. The Bengals have a crappy defense that's why the offense was good. The true test will be when they play an average defense and see how they fare.

thank you for sanity.

We won the game - and in a way that most of us would have predicted. Our games against Miami are always like this. These are the games that we have to win and win in this manner. The buffalo game in two weeks will be similar.

We are 4-1 heading towards an easy part of the schedule. The only tough games will be against Chicago and Jacksonville. Indy? They have no run defense and we will be able to abuse them. We play at Miami but by then, Miami won't have anything to play for and we should be on cruse control.

A trade won't do this team any good. This offense is timing based and need a lot of time for a receiver to pick up and adjust. The receivers need to spend some time with Brady during the by week and really practice hard. 12-4 is a strong possibility this year with 14-2 not out of reach.

Did we just figure out that our running game is better at the moment than our passing game? Did we just figure out that against good run defenses, we need help from the defense or the special teams?

Have we all just discovered that NEM thinks he's a better OC and can call plays better than whoever has the job for the patriots (and has thought this for many years). Have we just discovered that NEM will hijack every thread he can to make the same points?

We are what we are, a 4-1 team that is one of the top 5 teams in the league. But that isn't enough for the whiners.

There is a long time until the playoffs. We will play one game at a time. And this year's offense will develop over the rest of the year, especially the passing game.

From reading this board, you'd think we were 1-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes