PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offense stunk- Quit making excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many windows have you guys punched in? I'm on my 4th.

LOL.............I'd give anything to be in a China-Shop right now or better yet a Greenhouse.

I guess i'll have to settle for my now ever-growing pile of empty beer bottles

It's been my team since 1960 (my Dad took me to their first game against Denver). Agreed, the defense played well but do you think the Giants defense had anything to do with the final score?

Not as much as receivers dropping balls-or for that matter play calling--Why not use the hurry-up offense more in the game, the only time they used it it led to points??

It is a team loss no doubt but in my eyes one part of that team played well beyond themselves and the other did not--the special teams were just their normal selves

LOL.............I'd give anything to be in a China-Shop right now or better yet a Greenhouse.

I guess i'll have to settle for my now ever-growing pile of empty beer bottles
My pile's still growing and I have plenty of seed and fertilizer left to keep it growing.

I'm not sure why you always get so much overreaction.
I'm pretty sure the offense feels it didn't do enough, but 'stunk' is going a little overboard.
it's a team sport and the team wasn't good enough in a close game --- you can find a lot of things that could've been better.

no reason to crucify one guy, group, or play.

This year we lost in the playoffs and scored 17 points
2010 vs Jets 21
2009 vs Ravens 14
2007 vs Giants 14
2006 vs Colts 34
2005 vs Broncos 13

I would say more than half the time the offense didnt score enough points in the deciding playoff game. This seems to be a team BUILT to win in the regular season with few playmaking veterans to count on in the playoffs. They are starting to resemble the Bruins of the 80s who made the playoffs every year but never won the whole thing. I'm starting to wonder in BB pulled a freaky friday with Marty Shottenheimer! LMAO! For those who wonder why we continue to draft as much if not more offense than defense HERE is why!

The offense really put the defense in a hole by running 1 play on their first drive and then giving the ball back to the Giants with that stupid safety. It allowed the Giants to use up too much time and didn't give the defense a break. It was 9-0 and almost the end of the 1st quarter before we ran our 2nd play from scrimmage.

I think we scored one offensive td in the 2001 superbowl.

This year we lost in the playoffs and scored 17 points
2010 vs Jets 21
2009 vs Ravens 14
2007 vs Giants 14
2006 vs Colts 34
2005 vs Broncos 13

I would say more than half the time the offense didnt score enough points in the deciding playoff game. This seems to be a team BUILT to win in the regular season with few playmaking veterans to count on in the playoffs.
The New England Patriots offense has become too one dimensional.

The offense also gave up 2 of the 21 points, so technically the defense gave up 19, could have been 16 if they were in a situation at the end where they weren't better off letting Bradshaw score. Also 3 points came off a drive where the Giants started in our territory.

Defense did it's job. You look at the offensive personnel in 2003 and 2004 where they were just as,if not more effective in the playoffs as the talent we have now offensively, it's not excuse.

Last edited:
Didn't score 20 pts in the last 2 SB's.
This is the only reason we lost! Did you think we would win without scoring 20 pts? I didn't and bet you didn't either.
Defense did their jobs in both games.

Let er rip........

People forget that the Giants had two drives stopped with non-calls on obvious pass interference. It could have a lot worse then it was. Giants are just the better team.

People forget that the Giants had two drives stopped with non-calls on obvious pass interference. It could have a lot worse then it was. Giants are just the better team.
They weren't called because they weren't pass interferences. They were both well defended.

Benard Pollard > Gronk

394037_2393765978081_1668873648_1662687_517320536_n.jpg

If that didn't happen, then the Patriots would have stood a better chance.

Correct those were not pass interference calls.

Biggest difference in this game was the difference between Tom and Eli. Eli made very big plays when he had to and Tom made to many mistakes and to few big plays. These games are all about turnovers and big plays. Strip everything else away and the biggest difference is Tom and Eli in this game.

As for the Gronk injury I actually do think the league has got to do something about these goons like Pollard who's every tackle is an intent to cheap shot injure somebody. Rodney at least tried to knock the snot out of you. Pollard does not tackle anybody. Pollard sets is opponent so he can dislocate him in some way. Never mind trying to figure out if a helmet was aimed at a helmet. The kinds of things Pollard does on the field are far more obvious and far easier to see.

If the league is not careful teams will start to take matters into their own hands and get Pollard before he gets them.

How exactly did the defense play great? Turnovers? Getting the Giants off the field? Stopping the final drive? Sorry, bend don't break is an illusion. Regardless of how the offense is playing they need to be on the field to score points and this defense did very little down the stretch to get the ball back to the offense.

I think you have to consider the fact that the Giants have a good offense.

If you new going into the game that the Patriots defense would give up 19 points you would have liked your chances. You would have reasoned that the Patriots defense did enough to win the game.

I do put this loss on the offense. Once again they save their lowest point total of the season for the Super Bowl.

If we are willing to overlook our pourous defense all year by pointing out that they give up yards but not points, we would be hypocrites for not getting on the offense for NOT putting up points.

The offense certainly didn't do the defense any favors in the first quarter. Instead of giving the defense a break, the offense handed the ball back to the Giants on one play (safety). I know that doesn't technically register as a turnover, but that was as big as any turnover.

The Pats lost by 4 points. Take away the Safety and they lose by 2. I don't see how the Safety really effected the game other than keeping the D out there for one more series.

This is like the what came first, the chicken or the egg argument. Offense could have ended the game with the Welker or Hernandez catch and the defense could have ended the game if the stopped the giants on the second to last drive. Offense and defense left too many game changing mistakes plays on the field and the Giants made none.

Last edited:
Our defense is what it is. It was not good all year and it was not great last night. You knew it was gonna give up about 20 points or so and several long plays. That's exactly what it did.

Defense did what we needed them to do, which is what they have done all year.

Offense did not get the job done. Boneheaded plays (safety, dropped balls that should have been caught, etc...).

The Pats lost by 4 points. Take away the Safety and they lose by 2. I don't see how the Safety really effected the game other than keeping the D out there for one more series.

The only thing difference is with 57 seconds left, and one timeouts, the play calls are completely different.

It's been my team since 1960 (my Dad took me to their first game against Denver). Agreed, the defense played well but do you think the Giants defense had anything to do with the final score?

yes, they blew coverage on Wes Welker and he was left wide opened on their 20, had Brady made a better throw and/or Welker caught the ball that hit him in the hands the Pats would have won this game.

as many prior to this have said the D did enough to win, could they have done more, certainly there is always more that can be done, but the O did not live up to its billing and the safety and dropped passes were killers in this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes