PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offense: Status quo from last year a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
an injury prone Neal who still has (not much though) some fundamental technique issues
Can you give an example of where you think his technique is faulty?

Also, not sure what you mean about the OLine. Are you saying the regular season was a fluke and the "real" Oline showed up in the Superbowl? That we can expect so see them play like they did in the superbowl every game next year? I would have thought that the way they played in 18 games is at least as significant as they way then played in one. Except for one play that had nothing to do with the OLine, this wouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, my understanding of the superbowl is that Coughlin did a few things the Pats hadn't seen before, and the Giants DLine isn't too shabby.

Making wholesale roster changes based on one game, rather than addressing those concerns with coaching, seems to me to be a little over the top.

However, to say Neal and Kazur (or O'Callaghan) are solid in the respect that those positions shouldn't be looked at or possibly upgraded is to be blinding homers.
So people who disagree with you are blind homers? That makes you a blind hater.

Homers and haters. Yep, let's divide them up. No sense if making a point. Just diss the other guy in a weak attempt to make his point invalid.

the pats had the chance to do something in the FA and in the draft for the ol..
they preferred trade a third round pick and draft a no very need with other instead to draft a ol...
ergo they are happy of the offense...:rocker:

I see what you're saying, but it's not like every team can just be like OH PRESSURE THE QUARTERBACK WITH INCREDIBLE DEPTH ON THE LINE OF HALL OF FAME CALIBER PLAYERS.

If any team has a chance to do it consistently to us this season, it will be the Bills, IMO.

But to think our offense as it stands is so crappy that it would look like KC's for an entire season solely doing what it did last year, is ridiculous. Every team saw tape of the Patriots all season and couldn't beat them... why would that change because the Pats haven't played for a few months?

We need to adapt ,change, and improve as we move on. Sure, not every NFL team has the ability to stop us but we can't put ourself in a position where an unknown team screws up our perfect season as we saw in the last SB game.

I honestly don't want to see Pats to win a game by 3 points because we are screwed if another team scores another TD at the last moment.

In our last game with Charger or Jag, we managed to control the clock for 9 minutes. In the SB, we hurrily scored the last TD and gave Giants the last 4 minutes to do whatever they wanted while we were ahead by 4 points.

It was obvious to everybody that TB would go to Moss at the last minute because we saw it in every game except playoff games. When another team choked Moss, our O was not explosive any more.

As I said last year, I was tired of watching Brady and Moss show in every game. Even though another team knows that Brady will throw the ball to 3 'known' WRs, it's hard for them to know which one. Even if they know, they don't have the resource to stop the all 3.

our O in 08 season needs to be UNPREDICTABLE and it's very important for Brady to have a second or third WR besides Moss.

Last edited:
All sarcasm aside, I & 99% of the knowledgeable fans here definitely don't think the Offense is crappy and will repeat close to what happened last year (or even improve in some areas with more continuity and health). But, the NYG were NOT a bunch of hall of famers (if that is what you were saying) on the DL and the SB did show how possibly out OL can be beat IF we stay with that same Offensive plan.

So, I just think, and others pointed out here too ( in a way) that mainly we just need to improve our Offensive play calling / blocking schemes / etc. (i.e. McDaniels should definitely be questioned) to remain a high-powered scoring machine. I hope everyone is right about our OL not needing improvements though at LG / RT in the short run.

Also, a big improvement might be getting a Morris for a full year with the running game and keep Defenses off-balance (& keep Maroney fresher).

This offense scored more points than any team in the history of the NFL. The offense helped this team to the first 16-0 regular season in the history of the NFL. THE offense helped get this team to within 3 minutes of becoming the first team in NFL history to go 19-0 in a season. Those people who think McDaniels "should definitely be questioned", rather than recognizing that the offense had a bad game at the wrong time should be forced to turn in their "football fan" cards and should be banned from ever commenting on sports again.

And that's coming from someone who's been saying the offense is mostly to blame for the Super Bowl loss.

After record setting year on offense, I think it would be foolish to make any dramatic changes. With that said, like many of posters stated, Morris and Dave Thomas coming back should help out. I'm actually counting on Dave Thomas to be bigger part of offense than Chad Jackson. I thought he was very reliable and made some tough catches when he was healthy. Like Chad Jackson, he had some health issues but I think it is a good bet he'll be bigger part of the offense if Watson gets his annual butter fingers.

Only big concern I have is I'm curious as to see how Pats will adjust to the 'blue print'. NFL being copycat league, its a guarantee that every team we face will pretty much go all out and try to do what Giants and Eagles did. Other than that, Pats really don't have much to worry about on offense.

Not to get all simple-minded, but how would the status-quo from an offense that broke several major records and is one of the great offenses of all-time be a problem?

I'm so sick of hearing about the o line being a weakness on the pats. its stupid. they had one bad game against a excellent d line. they went 18 and 0 and for the most part gave Brady enough time to go to dinner with Giselle on every snap. the offense doesnt need a thing.

When I consider what the "status quo" means I think of this:

1. Moss will be the one and only deep threat and will most often see a doubleteam

2. This will leave Welker or Gaffney open short both of whom will catch a lot of passes - and most Ds will hapilly accept that in a "bend but don't break" situation

3.That's in part because they know Brady may try to force passes to Moss even when he's doubleteamed - taking a chance of big yardage but running the risk of having to punt or settle for less than a TD

Brady also threw to Moss an exceptionally high number of times, and Moss was nearly always on the field.

It's not that the team can't win with such an approach - but generally I think I just described what we saw in most games. And we did see teams with speed rushers have success in putting pressure on Brady too.

So a wholehearted NO - I hope we don't see the status quo. People will tell you that the #1 rated offense needs no changes, but these are the same people who were telling you that the #6 rated offense, with only Reche Caldwell and Gaffney, needed no changes either.

Hopefully McDaniels will have a player and be willing to make someone else a deep threat - thereby breaking the cycle by drawing doubleteams away from Moss. That'd be a good start.

deleted.....

Last edited:
When I consider what the "status quo" means I think of this:

1. Moss will be the one and only deep threat and will most often see a doubleteam

2. This will leave Welker or Gaffney open short both of whom will catch a lot of passes - and most Ds will hapilly accept that in a "bend but don't break" situation

3.That's in part because they know Brady may try to force passes to Moss even when he's doubleteamed - taking a chance of big yardage but running the risk of having to punt or settle for less than a TD

Brady also threw to Moss an exceptionally high number of times, and Moss was nearly always on the field.

It's not that the team can't win with such an approach - but generally I think I just described what we saw in most games. And we did see teams with speed rushers have success in putting pressure on Brady too.

So a wholehearted NO - I hope we don't see the status quo. People will tell you that the #1 rated offense needs no changes, but these are the same people who were telling you that the #6 rated offense, with only Reche Caldwell and Gaffney, needed no changes either.

Hopefully McDaniels will have a player and be willing to make someone else a deep threat - thereby breaking the cycle by drawing doubleteams away from Moss. That'd be a good start.

I agree with a lot of this, but I would add that I believe there is a need for a physical element to this team in addition to a second deep threat. I think one of the overlooked aspects of the SB loss was the Patriots inability to run the football, even though the Giants played Justin Tuck at DT giving them an undersized Dline. The Oline not only failed miserably in the passing game, but it failed in the run game as well. A nasty blocking TE would be a great addition to this team. If a blocking TE can't be acquired, I'd like to see the Patriots use Britt at TE some more in specific formations. When the Patriots went to the 3 TE formation against the Chargers, it was a thing a of beauty. It would be nice if we could add that power/physical formation to the gameplan more often. When it gets cold late in the season, the passing game simply doesn't work as well and there needs to be a plan B.

No the status quo is just fine. The Pats set an all time record fro scoring. The broke the record by a large margin. Even if off by 10% the Offense will still be setting records.

Everybody remembers the Super Bowl, but forgets that Steve Neal went down early in the game. Then the best blocking third down receiving back went down too. Without him to place pressure along with Wes short, TB had to pass long to Moss and sometimes that took too long to develop. And TB was not as mobile as he usually is, with the bum ankle.

Besides they get some talented players back in Morris and Thomas, as well. Perhaps CJ will develop in his third year as most WR do, as well.

It will be a problem if it's status quo. We need to commit to the run.

With Morris back that should be a priority.

So many things with the Oline just get better when you run consistently.

oh my head :blahblah: How many times are we going to argue about the o-line?????? I seem to remember all the 'experts' saying that Brady had all the time in the world to throw the ball. Atleast for 16 games he did. So, are people really convinced that the o-line had nothing to do with the time Brady had? PUUULEEEZE:rolleyes:

Now I do agree with others about play calling. I like Josh, and thought he called some excellent games last year. I just want to see more running. Morris coming back will help, and with a healthy Maroney we'll run alot more than we did last year.

I also don't want to be in front of the t.v., see a 2 te set, and say to myself, "here goes Maroney off the LG." We did get a little predictable last season, but what the hell, no one could stop us. Why we didnt pass more out of that formation is a mystery to me, but my name isnt Bill, so I'll just assume there's a good reason.
Either way, their offense will be fine this year, even if they don't score 50 a game:D

Look, the OL had ONE bad game, it happens. It just would make no sense to have drafted Clady and invest money when you don't NEED that position. If you can find value, sure. But you can't with line men these days. Average linemen make decent contracts, what do you think the good ones get? But the thing is, our line doesn't suck. It's pretty good. Mankins has a mean streak, Light is OK, Koppen has developed into a good center. I don't think you fix what is broken.

The main improvement comes from within. Brady and Weis were unbeatable in crunch time, no one ever stopped them. Will McDaniels ever become that comfortable with Brady? A lot of times later in the season when the team struggled, we saw the offense come out and save the day. Some was adjustments, some was because they were so damn good. I think as the years go by and they get comfortable enough to pick each other's brains, they wont be stopped. But that needs to start happening NOW.

Some of you need to stop being so reactionary. You don't break apart a good unit over one terrible game. I realize it's the super bowl, but was that the first game they sucked in? No, it wasn't. Difference is, some you knew it was one game and realized that. Now, it seems like people think just because it's the super bowl it means they straight up stink.

Here's a theory of mine that started late during the regular season of last year. I'll probably get blasted for it, but here goes: Randy Moss Theory. He kills QB's/Coordinators. He is so good, makes so many rediculous catches, defies so much logic that the minds often lock in exclusively on tallent.

I know Brady did a great job distributing the ball all season, but a player with Moss' tallent can be detrimental to schematic intelligence. Think about it; the less one has to work with, the more creative one needs to be to compete. I always thought that our scheme was so good that as soon as we pluged good wideouts in, we'd have something special. We did. But we were winning on tallent, not scheme. I thought that the creativity and intelligence that marked the early decade teams would carry-over to the new personel. I was wrong. Very wrong. This year was one of the most boring X's and O's year I have ever seen from this team.

I think that McDaniels became jaded this year. It was showing later in the year. He knew teams were going to try things, but he never countered. He ran what he ran based upon down/distance and defensive tendencies. The Pats are known for their superior intelligence, I didn't see it this year. McDaniels had opportunities to counter, to set teams up, to bait teams and he consistently failed to outwit opponents.

When McDaniels encountered a defense that could matchup physically with the offense, he refused to make adjustments. He refused to force the defensive line into persuit situations. He refused to make them wear themselves down. Just stuck with the stat quo. The responses and adjustments and cerebral superiority that marked this team in the past was gone. He tried to win on tallent and couldn't. When that happened, he was like a deer in the headlights.

I think this is a direct result of The Randy Moss Theory.

Last edited:
the problem with Pats was it didn't maintain its status quo during playoff and SB games.

Three points. That's the difference between questioning this offense and wildly celebrating it.

Sometimes things don't fall your way. Doesn't always mean you've got to rip them up. Sometimes the hardest thing, especially for the SB loser, is to maintain what you've got and renew your focus. Sign Moss. Sign Gaffney. Get back to work.

Most every other team following a SB loss has slid into mediocrity. This team most certainly won't.

(Notoriety, maybe, but not mediocrity.)

Also, don't discount the cumulative effect of spygate, blow-out gate, the pressure of staying undefeated, charges against Moss, and spygate II. The absence of all that will be an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes