PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offense needs most help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgssand

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Brady has to be ready to sue for non support........

We need help - from trades, draft and FA's (as they are released) to round out this team. Core group is excellent - we need some talent to fill disturbing holes and augment our quality depth.

RB - Aging? Coming off injuries - That applies to Dillon, Faulk & Pass - also, Pass was reported to have gained 25 LBS.

WR - Branch - needs to make it through his 2nd fulll season, Brown - love the guy, but isn't what he once was, Caldwell - 2nd chance to become #2

TE - We have two very talented players, need a third.

C - Koppen & Hochstein - Can Dan come back, will either re-sign for 2007?

LB - Great old guys - need current LB's to step up (TBC, Alexander, Claridge) - must have draft help.

DB's - Could use a #1 CB (who couldn't) and S (need Rodney to return), all in all - better group than most think.

DL - Best in the NFL - need back up for Wilfork, need RS to stay healthy.

Cannot wait to see how the holes are filed and needs addressed........

fgssand said:

Hehehe. If he did sue though he'd start sounding like Ray Lewis and Brett Favre! And we wouldn't want that. ;)

Not sure about that with aging LBs...a WR...a TE...and?? OL may need a backup..a backup RB would be nice...but..?? More than the D??

Just lookin at things....

Pats726 said:
Not sure about that with aging LBs...a WR...a TE...and?? OL may need a backup..a backup RB would be nice...but..?? More than the D??

"D" needs LB help, no question.

"O" needs RB, TE, WR help.

At WR, we have a superstar in Branch, but he needs ot stay healthy another year or we will really be in deep trouble. We may need a #2 (if Caldwell cannot come through). That leavs us with a flock hopeful youngsters and Troy Brown.

At TE - two good ones, need a third.

At RB - A great one and two good 3rd down backs - need young, talented back up that has potential to take over shoudl CD go down.

I think the Pats are all set at TE. They have two very good ones and can easily find a serviceable one elseswhere. What ever happened to Jed Weaver? I would rather see the Pats get better at CB than TE.

Last edited:
Willie55 said:
I think the Pats are all set at TE. They have two very good ones and can easily find a serviceable one elseswhere. What ever happened to Jed Weaver? I would rather see the Pats get better at CB than TE.

Still floating around as a street free agent.

I agree.

The defense got its #1 need filled: Seymour was extended.

There is one real NEED. If the patriots had signed Arrington, we'd be only be talking about 4th round improvements. Even as it is, the best approach may to use two of our 3rd and 4th round picks to choose among:

Tapp, Howard, Anderson Gocong, McGarigle, Havner, Harylson, Schlegel and Kudla.

I think we'll pick a DE in the first, but only if sign a corner.

fgssand said:

We need help - from trades, draft and FA's (as they are released) to round out this team. Core group is excellent - we need some talent to fill disturbing holes and augment our quality depth.

RB - Aging? Coming off injuries - That applies to Dillon, Faulk & Pass - also, Pass was reported to have gained 25 LBS.

WR - Branch - needs to make it through his 2nd fulll season, Brown - love the guy, but isn't what he once was, Caldwell - 2nd chance to become #2

TE - We have two very talented players, need a third.

C - Koppen & Hochstein - Can Dan come back, will either re-sign for 2007?

LB - Great old guys - need current LB's to step up (TBC, Alexander, Claridge) - must have draft help.

DB's - Could use a #1 CB (who couldn't) and S (need Rodney to return), all in all - better group than most think.

DL - Best in the NFL - need back up for Wilfork, need RS to stay healthy.

Cannot wait to see how the holes are filed and needs addressed........

So, Brady should be upset that the Pats spent a 1st rounder on Mankins, a 1st rounder on Graham, a 1st rounder on Watson, a 2nd rounder on Branch and Johnson, and a 3rd rounder on Kaczur.

If that doesn't signify SUPPORT, I don't know what does.

I would rather see the Patriots get a 4th LB and maybe another one, too and a CB and S and go with what they currently have on O than get a high pick WR and RB. That's not to say that that's the choice they have and they can't do all those things. Or at least the 4th LB, DB and WR on the 1st day. But if I had a choice about what holes got filled, I'd rather they be the D holes and they go with what they have on O than the other way around. Evfen though I don't look at it like that's the choice they have. I think they have the picks and/or trade possibilites to do it all.

I'm not as concerned about RB as everyone else is - depth is good but Corey will be fine.

Our WR corps however consists of Branch, a bunch of guys who would be lucky to make the Practice Squad, an underachiever, and of course Brown

DaBruinz said:
So, Brady should be upset that the Pats spent a 1st rounder on Mankins, a 1st rounder on Graham, a 1st rounder on Watson, a 2nd rounder on Branch and Johnson, and a 3rd rounder on Kaczur.

If that doesn't signify SUPPORT, I don't know what does.

Yeah, it does -- I was just looking at primarily the major WR problem that we have - as in, after Branch we don't have any, other than old reliable TB and second chance Caldwell, all we have is a flock of unknowns. That along with needed help at RB & TE from a depth perspective is what the offense desperately needs.

No question the LB needs are just as acute on the "D" side. I think we pretty much already have the kind of DB's to be found in the draft on the squad already.

fgssand said:
Yeah, it does -- I was just looking at primarily the major WR problem that we have - as in, after Branch we don't have any, other than old reliable TB and second chance Caldwell, all we have is a flock of unknowns. That along with needed help at RB & TE from a depth perspective is what the offense desperately needs.

No question the LB needs are just as acute on the "D" side. I think we pretty much already have the kind of DB's to be found in the draft on the squad already.

Fgssand -
I suggest you review the 2001 season and let me know what receivers the Pats had after Troy Brown. Not only did they not have any receivers after Brown, they didn't have any legit receiving TEs either. What happened? Patten stepped up. This is different in that the Pats also have Watson and Graham. Troy Brown is still a legitimate threat, though probably as a 3rd or 4th receiver. Reche Caldwell shouldn't be buried the way he was in San Diego. San Diego had a very structured receiving corps in Gates, Parker, McCardell, and Tomlinson. 82% of the passes went to them. I honestly believe that Caldwell will be more effective in the Pats system that spreads the ball out more.

Now, do I believe that the Pats will draft a WR? Yes. Do I feel they will draft a RB? Yes. Could the Pats sign a RB? Yep. Jonathan Wells, amongst others, is still out there. There are also several WRs who are available via trade that the Pats could acquire after the draft. Also, there is the rumor that Thomas Jones is being shopped around. He could be an option, though I am not sure he would like playing behind Dillon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back