PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offense, Is It That Different Than 2007?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
How different is this core offense from 2007?

QB Brady
RUNNERS Maroney, Morris, Faulk (and Brady)
RECEIVERS Moss, Welker, Watson (and Faulk and Morris and Maroney)
OL Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Kaczur

Arguably, we miss the combination of Stallworth and Gaffney which totaled 82 receptions for the year. However, Edelman and Galloway are on pace for 76 this year. Since, I don't expect or want the reception total to be as large as in 2007, this small difference is not important. Besides, I expect both Edelman and Galloway to be better later in the year (one with solid improvement is more than sufficient). And finally, we don't need them both to be a factor in specific games. Gaffney and Stallworth rarely both produced in the same game. So, I am fine with either Edelman or Galloway shouldering a bit of load. Of course, my real preference would be more catches from Baker and the running backs.

Last edited:
The players may be essentially the same, but they're also two years older, and opposing defensive coordinators have had time to adjust to the Brady/ Moss
connection.

We won't see the '07 stats again, which is fine by me. It'll make the defense more responsible for holding up their end.

Not to rain on this particular parade and acknowledging the important difference Brady's returning from surgery makes and also acknowledging that none of us knows how the rest of this season will play out, in the first four games of 2007 the Pats outscored their opponents 148--48, or by 100 points. So far this year, it's 87--71.

They also completely dominated those games, piling up 1,727 yards of Offense vs. 904 given up (for a differential of 823 yards, close to two to one). This year, while the offense has put up some big yards for a total of 1,504, the domination is no where near as great with 1,150 yards surrendered for a difference of 354.

Last edited:
There is no question that the offense is not yet in synch as well as the 2007 offense. Also, the league's defenses indeed have caught up a lot, even as they did in 2007. However, the 2007 offense was the best ever. If we can start perform as well as we come into the second half of the season, we will be an awesome team for the playoffs and SB. We have a BETTER defense than in 2007, and it is getting better each week.

BTW, with regard to Moss, I would argue that he is even more valuable in second half of 2009 than in the second half of 2007. His increased comfort with Brady has him effectively running lots of patterns over the middle.

I think the biggest difference between 07 and this year is play calling. Especially in the RZ where it has been putrid. IMHO.

LOL....how did we do the last 4 reg season games?

would anyone like to compare the last 4 reg season games of 07, versus the first 4 of this year?

i would say they will be very close.....

if the trend continues, it means that what the offense was doing in beginning of 07, it will do this year at the END, which is ill guess what we really want

we want to outscore opponents by 100 pts at the END of the season, not at the beginning.....

Playcalling, no 3rd WR has stepped up (yet), and OL play/Brady accuracy is a slight notch down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes