PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offense: How Concerned Are YOU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he were going to retire he would announce it, Many think because of how the FO s responding to the Waters question that he and BB have an understanding.

Since he is an older player missing camp may help him stay fresh through the season. It certainly didn't hurt him last year.

Yes, but that understanding may be Bill saying, "Don't retire just because you aren't fired-up for training camp. Wait until the games get close and see if you find that old passion again." Waters might not.

Likewise, Vollmer is coming back from spinal surgery. Until he is on the field, Cannon is our RT. There is no guarantee that Vollmer can get back on the field with any degree of consistency.

I am not at all sanguine about the right side of our OL. Until Vollmer and Waters demonstrate otherwise, the line looks like it will be Solder, Mankins, Wendell (or Koppen), Connolly, Cannon. Brady's blind side sholld be protected, but he may have some unfriendly people getting in his face, and that's not his favorite way to play.

why does everyone assume waters will return soon? even so, another year older, no training camp- why does everyone assume he will play as well as last year? i don't- especially without camp practice.:confused:

Ed Reed led the league in INTs without a TC, Strahan was a beast for the giants in the playoffs without a TC

Those are off the top of my head and you can consider Waters in that echelon of player quality imo.

Umm...what?

Brady had a 135 QB rating vs the blitz last year with a 67% completion. 16 TDs as well i think.

He is VERY good against the blitz. When teams sit back in coverage..that is when he struggles

He had a lot of sacks becasue he averaged 38 attempts a game last year..most in career

I couldn't agree more that Tommy LomBrady struggles when teams sit back in coverage. I was at the Pats game in Cleveland a couple of years ago where that stuck out like a sore thumb.

I think the amount of sacks that Brady has had might also speak to the notion that he has all day to throw, at least if you believe that sacks are related to time to throw. I know that other QBs get sacked less than Brady, but it's hard to say for sure why.

I didn't say Brady was terrible against the blitz, everyone knows he's the best. That's why I said except for when he's throwing intermediate passes against the blitz. In the first SB vs the Giants, I noticed he was still trying to go deep, when the blitz was coming and didn't have enough time to get a deep ball off and therefore took a sack. In the last SB, it looked like he was trying to avoid sacks the whole game because of how horrible Mankins was blocking.

Then again there were games earlier in the season, where he wasn't getting blitz and held the ball for so long that he eventually ended up being sacked. That's why I'm asking if it's Brady holding the ball too long or if it's the O-line. Depending on why he's getting sacked, I'll say it's a concerned. If it's because the line stinks, then I'm not too concerned, if it's Brady, I'm a little worried.

Maybe the reworked D is just that good.

Jones, Hightower, Carpenter, Wilson, Gregory, Bequette, Ebner, Francis, Scott... lots of new faces contributing at a pretty high level, allowing players like Mayo, Chung, Wilfork and McCourty focus on what they do best instead of compensating for other stuff. Add to that, some of the down players from last year came into camp with some pop: Brace, Cunningham, Dowling. And some of the young guys taking steps to being real pros: Love, Moore.

Top to bottom, the defensive roster is actually pretty jacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back