PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Off the waiver wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
At what position might we still get help through free agency. I would think that we could certainly use some competition at OG, RB and CB. Players at these positions are often available.

If we are hoping for a trade, then we could even hope for an OLB, but this seems unlikely.

I was hoping for Willie Parker even though he's old, maybe he'll get cut.

At what position might we still get help through free agency. I would think that we could certainly use some competition at OG, RB and CB. Players at these positions are often available.

If we are hoping for a trade, then we could even hope for an OLB, but this seems unlikely.

CB? We've got 3 potential starters as well as the Nickel guy in Wilhite.

Those 4 aren't going anywhere.

Arrington will most likely be the 5th with Wheatley on the bubble and he'd most likely be inactive anyway.

Unless the RB we pick up is young, I have no interest. We've got enough old RBs on this roster anyway and i'd like to say Goodbye to Fred Taylor anyway.

I wonder if Belichick is leaning away from adding players later in the year in his philosophy, in comparison to earlier in his coaching career. For example at WR you can compare the acquisitions of players like Doug Gabriel or JJ Stokes in an attempt to bolster the position, while last year nobody else was brought in after first Lewis, and then Galloway were cut. Walter was added to the roster fairly late as a backup QB and he was cut before week one. The Pats traded for Burgess due to a desperate need at the position, and he didn't have much of an impact until very late in the season.

Just a guess, but maybe BB is now thinking that if a new player is not brought on early in the offseason, his chances of a positive contribution in that same season drop dramatically.

Last edited:
I wonder if Belichick is leaning away from adding players later in the year in his philosophy, in comparison to earlier in his coaching career. For example at WR you can compare the acquisitions of players like Doug Gabriel or JJ Stokes in an attempt to bolster the position, while last year nobody else was brought in after first Lewis, and then Galloway were cut. Walter was added to the roster fairly late as a backup QB and he was cut before week one. The Pats traded for Burgess due to a desperate need at the position, and he didn't have much of an impact until very late in the season.

Just a guess, but maybe BB is now thinking that if a new player is not brought on early in the offseason, his chances of a positive contribution in that same season drop dramatically.

Maybe. And maybe the specific position and the prior role the vet played might also be a factor.

The front office will have to look at OG. With Mankins holding out and Neals history of injuries, it leaves us pretty thin in terms of game experience guards.
OG should see some waiver action if the right player is available.

OG
---
Mankins is probably gone, and it is anyone's guess how many games Neal will play effectively this year. We have Kaczur and Connolly. We have Ohrnberger, Bussey and Larsen. There is clearly room on the roster for a veteran if he is an upgrade over Connolly. And it is just possible that Kaczur won't work out at guard. In that case, we would be looking at Connolly and Neal starting, with two youngsters backing up the three interior line positions.

RB
----
It is just possible that either Taylor or Morris have nothing left. Can it hurt to bring in competition if we can find it? And we might find a running abck who can fill a role such as short yardage back or blocker.

CB
---
I'm fine with Bodden, Butler, McCurty and Wilhite. I am evn fine with Arrington as a special teamer. My roster projections has room for a 5th position corner back, bringing the DB total to 10. Some will give this position to Lockett or to Wheatley. That's fine. Surely, it is POSSIBLE that we MIGHT find someone who could be found to be more valuable to the team than Wheatly or Lockett.

BOTTOM LINE
I am fine when we bring in someone even if he eventually gets cut. That is not failure to me. It means that the incumbant withstood the competition and that everyone stayed healthy. That great! Let's see Wheatley, Lockett and even Arrington fight for their roster spots against free agent competition.

Last edited:
I don't understand the Wilhite love... he got burned bad last year and always looked a step behind what the offense was thinking. I would see his head turned looking for the ball and the receiver was catching it.

I wanted to give Chris McAlister a look last year, but it looks like his knees are shot. Thought he'd have been a better vet to bring in than Springs and help the young kids.

Anyway, I'd say RB and OLB.

Maroney hasn't panned out as planned, Taylor and Morris are old and fragile, Faulk is great at what he does but not a bell-cow back, BJGE is average. I do like the Thomas Clayton pick up though, and I think he could make this team. I've always been a fan of bringing in LJ but that didn't happen. I thought McGahee could be a nice addition if the Ravens cut him but they havent. Maybe take a flier on a guy like LenDale White if he comes cheap? Why not? The guy showed some promise a few years ago and would help in short yardage situations.

I'd welcome any OLB that could help. I'm just not all that confident in the group we have now. I think it will be better than last year but I don't know if it will be good enough. Don't know what we're gonna get from Cunningham and Crable, Banta-Cain and Burgess are solid but unspectacular, and Ninkovich, Woods, etc. are what they are.

I'm really against adding another RB this year now that we didn't draft a young stud. We have Taylor, Maroney, Morris, BJGE, and Faulk and I like that rotation. Keep the rotation (whoever has the hot hand at the time) and keep them fresh. We don't need another RB that's over the hill like Parker. Depending on how things play out, the Pats just might use one of the high picks next year on a young stud.

OG I would agree with, of course depending on if Mankins holds out or not and how well Kaczur can adjust during training camp if moved there.

Other than that, our biggest question marks are going to be on defense this year, but I don't know if adding a cut/older player will improve the team or allowing our young guys develop as a unit. I'd like to see guys like Spikes, Cunningham, Mckenzie, develop together along side with Mayo and become a dominant LBs unit (with TBC and even possibly Crable maybe). DBs are also a young unit that I like with Bodden as the vet. I'd like to see Butler and McCourty as a solid due for years to come. Safeties will be another very interesting area this year as Chung will have to show that he can make that second year leap along side Meriweather. Sanders is a reliable guy, but will not make the "big play". I'd like to see Wilfork become a vocal leader of the DL, Mayo the LBs, and Meriweather will have to take charge in the secondary. Definitely the defense playing together and becoming a unit during training camp will be a big step towards getting back to winning ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back