PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Off-Season Pre-view: Part 1 (OFFENSE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Patriots Off-season Preview (February edition)

Previously, I had posted off-season previews on ESPN. These would review the current state of the team and where I thought the team would be going with their off-season moves.

QB - Brady, Cassel, Mortensen - Cassel showed that he has real potential. Mortensen is being sent to NFLE and I think is TC fodder to keep Brady from having to make a lot of throws. I think the Patriots will try to add another free agent veteran, possibly trying to bring back Damon Huard.

RB – Corey Dillon, Kevin Faulk, Earl Charles– This is a need area for the Pats. Faulk hasn't been able to stay healthy the last 2 years and this was Dillon's 2nd time in 3 years being hurt. The Pats have a 3 million option on Dillon to make a decision on. If they pick up the option, he's here through 2009. If they don't, he's still here through next year. The Pats worked out a BUNCH of player during the season because of injuries, including Quentin Griffin and Amos Zereoue. Zereoue was signed, but was a dud because of injury. Pats lost Kory Chapman to the Colts who didn’t use the kid hardly at all. Charles was invited to camp last year, but was cut. May just be TC fodder, but he was assigned to NFLE. I would expect either a draft pick or a free agent to be added here. Possibly someone like Jonathan Wells, LaBrandon Toefield, or Chester Taylor. In the draft, LenDale White would be nice. So would Laurence Maroney. Maurice Drew could be a more likely pick since he small, compact, and a bowling ball type player with speed. Drew could possibly return kicks and punts for the Pats.

FB – Patrick Pass – Pass did well, but he will be remembered for putting the ball on the ground during the Denver Game and forcing Dillon to enter and play injured. The Pats could use another H-back type player who is more FB than TE. Possibly someone via the draft like Matt Bernstein. Heath Evans could return because he did well in limited duty.

O-Line – Matt Light, Nick Kaczur, Logan Mankins, Brandon Gorin, Dan Koppen, Russ Hochstein, Jeff Roehl, Nick Steitz, - A starting RG is in order. Whether they draft one, let Hochstein try, Re-sign Neal, or bring in someone else, a RG is in order. A back-up at tackle is also in order. The Pats have shown they need at least 2 back-up tackles. And they have shown this every year BB has been a coach. I don't care for Brandon Gorin. Plus there is no guarantee that Ashworth will be back. A journeyman like him, with experience at RT and LT, could command a decent salary. Bringing in someone who could possibly replace Koppen should he decide to leave after the 2006 season could also be an option. BB did this when he drafted Koppen to replace Woody and Woody bolted after the 2003 season. Players I wouldn’t mind drafting include: Jonathan Scott, Jeremy Trueblood, Pat Ross, Greg Eslinger, Will Montgomery, Daryn Colledge, Charles Spencer, Chris Kuper, Jhari Evans. There aren't a lot of veterans available, yet. But with quite a few teams hurting in the cap (Jets *COUGH*) there could be some rather viable ones who would want a shot at a championship. The Pats could re-sign Yates, Krug and Tucker, designating Krug to NFLE.

TE – Daniel Graham, Ben Watson – Graham and Watson are entrenched as the top 2 TE s for the Pats. Watson should end up being the primary receiver of the two, but Graham has shown to be able to make some BIG plays happen when he’s given a chance. Graham continues to be a monster in blocking, but injuries caught up with him again. I would like to see BB draft another F-Back or H-Back type player (TE/FB combo) who can really throw opponents for a loop because they won’t know WTF is going on when all 3 are on the field. As I mentioned in the full-back section, another H-back or F-back type player would be nice here. Someone like Bernstein or possibly David Thomas would fit nicely on this team. My only concern with Thomas is his blocking abilities.

WR- Deion Branch, Bethel Johnson, “BAMâ€Childress, Rich Mushinski, John Stone – Troy Brown is hinting at the possibility of retirement. David Givens is likely on his way out for a big payday. If the Pats offered 5 years and 13-15 million, Givens should thank his lucky stars and take the deal. Andre Davis could be back. So could Tim Dwight. I honestly think that Bethel will be cut unless BB knows something no one else does about Bethel’s situation. PK Sam could be back since he is still very young and has a ton of potential. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Pats signed a free agent like Joe Jurevicius, Peerless Price (longshot), Keenan McCardell, Reche Caldwell (would be a great punt returner for us). In the draft, I like Maurice Stovall, as well as, Jonathan Orr, Todd Watkins (who can ALSO perform kick off duties), Cory Rogers, or possibly another late rounder like a Miles Austin.

again, very interesting stuff - and a good deal of work. Thanks a lot.

DaBruinz said:
Patriots Off-season Preview (February edition)

Previously, I had posted off-season previews on ESPN. These would review the current state of the team and where I thought the team would be going with their off-season moves.

QB - Brady, Cassel, Mortensen - Cassel showed that he has real potential. Mortensen is being sent to NFLE and I think is TC fodder to keep Brady from having to make a lot of throws. I think the Patriots will try to add another free agent veteran, possibly trying to bring back Damon Huard.

Huard would be a welcomed back by me. I also like the thought of Jamie Martin as a possible backup.

DaBruinz said:
RB – Corey Dillon, Kevin Faulk, Earl Charles– This is a need area for the Pats. Faulk hasn't been able to stay healthy the last 2 years and this was Dillon's 2nd time in 3 years being hurt. The Pats have a 3 million option on Dillon to make a decision on. If they pick up the option, he's here through 2009. If they don't, he's still here through next year. The Pats worked out a BUNCH of player during the season because of injuries, including Quentin Griffin and Amos Zereoue. Zereoue was signed, but was a dud because of injury. Pats lost Kory Chapman to the Colts who didn’t use the kid hardly at all. Charles was invited to camp last year, but was cut. May just be TC fodder, but he was assigned to NFLE. I would expect either a draft pick or a free agent to be added here. Possibly someone like Jonathan Wells, LaBrandon Toefield, or Chester Taylor. In the draft, LenDale White would be nice. So would Laurence Maroney. Maurice Drew could be a more likely pick since he small, compact, and a bowling ball type player with speed. Drew could possibly return kicks and punts for the Pats.

I honestly think the Pats will select someone in the 3rd round unless White falls to us at or near 21. IMO the Ravens are going to keep Taylor and get rid of Lewis. A possible trade for Dominic Davis would be nice as well, they need players and we have a ton of picks with not to many roster spots. Maybe something like Pass and a 4th rounder or a couple of picks :confused: , just throwing it out there.

DaBruinz said:
FB – Patrick Pass – Pass did well, but he will be remembered for putting the ball on the ground during the Denver Game and forcing Dillon to enter and play injured. The Pats could use another H-back type player who is more FB than TE. Possibly someone via the draft like Matt Bernstein. Heath Evans could return because he did well in limited duty.

I like Evans but his blocking isn't up to par. Not a big Pass fan, he to me is more like a poor mans Faulk.

DaBruinz said:
O-Line – Matt Light, Nick Kaczur, Logan Mankins, Brandon Gorin, Dan Koppen, Russ Hochstein, Jeff Roehl, Nick Steitz, - A starting RG is in order. Whether they draft one, let Hochstein try, Re-sign Neal, or bring in someone else, a RG is in order. A back-up at tackle is also in order. The Pats have shown they need at least 2 back-up tackles. And they have shown this every year BB has been a coach. I don't care for Brandon Gorin. Plus there is no guarantee that Ashworth will be back. A journeyman like him, with experience at RT and LT, could command a decent salary. Bringing in someone who could possibly replace Koppen should he decide to leave after the 2006 season could also be an option. BB did this when he drafted Koppen to replace Woody and Woody bolted after the 2003 season. Players I wouldn’t mind drafting include: Jonathan Scott, Jeremy Trueblood, Pat Ross, Greg Eslinger, Will Montgomery, Daryn Colledge, Charles Spencer, Chris Kuper, Jhari Evans. There aren't a lot of veterans available, yet. But with quite a few teams hurting in the cap (Jets *COUGH*) there could be some rather viable ones who would want a shot at a championship. The Pats could re-sign Yates, Krug and Tucker, designating Krug to NFLE.

I like our O line the way it is, of course an upgrade at any position is always welcome but other then Maaaybe Neal I think this line is set. Hoch has proven to be a very reliable backup that can play anywhere on the O line. Gorin is a decent backup but he needs to work on getting off the ball a little quicker he seems to get beat off the edge quite a bit and his false starts are enough to drive you crazy. I think Ash is gone.

DaBruinz said:
TE – Daniel Graham, Ben Watson – Graham and Watson are entrenched as the top 2 TE s for the Pats. Watson should end up being the primary receiver of the two, but Graham has shown to be able to make some BIG plays happen when he’s given a chance. Graham continues to be a monster in blocking, but injuries caught up with him again. I would like to see BB draft another F-Back or H-Back type player (TE/FB combo) who can really throw opponents for a loop because they won’t know WTF is going on when all 3 are on the field. As I mentioned in the full-back section, another H-back or F-back type player would be nice here. Someone like Bernstein or possibly David Thomas would fit nicely on this team. My only concern with Thomas is his blocking abilities.

Who needs another TE when we have Vrabel:D . Just kidding, a Dallas clarke type TE/FB would be a great addition to the Offense.

DaBruinz said:
WR- Deion Branch, Bethel Johnson, “BAMâ€Childress, Rich Mushinski, John Stone – Troy Brown is hinting at the possibility of retirement. David Givens is likely on his way out for a big payday. If the Pats offered 5 years and 13-15 million, Givens should thank his lucky stars and take the deal. Andre Davis could be back. So could Tim Dwight. I honestly think that Bethel will be cut unless BB knows something no one else does about Bethel’s situation. PK Sam could be back since he is still very young and has a ton of potential. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Pats signed a free agent like Joe Jurevicius, Peerless Price (longshot), Keenan McCardell, Reche Caldwell (would be a great punt returner for us). In the draft, I like Maurice Stovall, as well as, Jonathan Orr, Todd Watkins (who can ALSO perform kick off duties), Cory Rogers, or possibly another late rounder like a Miles Austin.

I don't see why they would bring back Bethel. Hopefully Givens stays but I doubt it. I think they should re-sign Davis, him and Brady seemed to have their timing off on many of those deep balls but he proved to be able to get down field and get open. He is also a bigger guy, which our recieving corps can use. I would like to see him do something other then a Jet on every pass play but I personally would like to see how he fits in with a full off season and training camp under his belt. Childress definitly showed some promise in the Miami game and during TC. Jurevicius would be nice but why would Seattle let him go he can catch and we know how precious that is in Seattle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Given our WR situation and Bethel's contract, I'm sure Bethel will be back to compete in next year's TC. I'll still be rooting for the guy, but he's certainly got the odds against him.

3 guys I find very interesting in the draft:

Maurice Stovall, ND - A 6'5" WR who flourished under Charlie Weis. If Weis gives the thumbs up, the Pats could be all over him.

Skyler Green, LSU - Awesome return man who can eventually become the #3 WR. Another guy from a school with BB coaching ties.

Will Blackmon, BC - Not sure if he projects as CB or WR, but a great athlete and a Football Player! Great on ST too. Seems to have all the intangibles the Pats love - hard working, intelligent, team-oriented, versatile, loves football.

bucky said:
Will Blackmon, BC - Not sure if he projects as CB or WR, but a great athlete and a Football Player! Great on ST too. Seems to have all the intangibles the Pats love - hard working, intelligent, team-oriented, versatile, loves football.

As a BC student, I'm sure this is heresy but...

Blackmon doesn't have a position. He has good hands for a CB but terrible hands for a receiver, and he doesn't have the cover skills to be a #1 or even a #2 corner in the NFL. He's an athlete and an electric return man, but beyond that I don't see him doing much as a pro.

bucky said:
Maurice Stovall, ND - A 6'5" WR who flourished under Charlie Weis. If Weis gives the thumbs up, the Pats could be all over him.

One thing we should remember is that with EM and RC now as coachs in the league BB won't be the only one to get a heads up on the Irish players. I'm sure the two of them will also try to get some insight from Weis about some hidden gems on the Irish team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes