PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Of the rookies, who do you think has a shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Reiss NE had 90 players on the roster heading into training camp last season, did they change the roster limits after '06?
Dunno, I do recall NE maxed out NFLE and had some other weird exemption, I'd be happier with 90 just to get more LB, WR, and OT competition into camp.

Unless Brown falls on his face, he'll be a lock for the 53 man roster. I don't think NE would cut their second pick in the entire draft without giving him time to develop, and they wouldn't put him on the practice squad because another team would grab him up in a heart beat. Pioli said he was surprised Kareem lasted that long, which tells me they might think he's more talented than where they picked him. Also, I've watched him play, and he's better than some on here have stated (much like Meriweather before the draft).
He may be the cat's meow, we'll have to see. He still needs to transition to a 2-gap style, his peers needed time for that too. Smith sticking last year was a bit of a surprise, I also thought Thomas was better than Hill in preseason, but he wound up on the PS.

Would they give Rogers reps at DE, when they want to covert him to OLB/ILB?
Why not? It's unlikely, but it wouldn't set his training back.

Hairston doesn't need to gain 15lbs to reach Dillon's listed playing weight. Hairston weighs 222lbs. The profiles you are seeing listing him at 210lbs are giving an old weight. Dillon is listed at 225lbs. I'm not going to say Hairston is the next Corey Dillon because I have no clue how effective he'll be in the NFL.
I'm basing that 210 on his Pro-day weigh-in. Any other number came from suspect sources, like Central Connecticut's media guide. Hairston may play heavier, I certainly wanted a back that size with his measurables, but the only numbers I have any faith in are from the Combine and Brandt's Pro-day results.

Dunno, I do recall NE maxed out NFLE and had some other weird exemption, I'd be happier with 90 just to get more LB, WR, and OT competition into camp.

He may be the cat's meow, we'll have to see. He still needs to transition to a 2-gap style, his peers needed time for that too. Smith sticking last year was a bit of a surprise, I also thought Thomas was better than Hill in preseason, but he wound up on the PS.

Why not? It's unlikely, but it wouldn't set his training back.

I'm basing that 210 on his Pro-day weigh-in. Any other number came from suspect sources, like Central Connecticut's media guide. Hairston may play heavier, I certainly wanted a back that size with his measurables, but the only numbers I have any faith in are from the Combine and Brandt's Pro-day results.

Yea, he was 210lbs at the combine, but he was also 6'1" (on the nose).

At his Pro Day:
Hairston (6-0, 222) ran 4.58 and 4.60 in the 40, 4.15 in the short shuttle and 6.94 in the three-cone drill. He also had a 39-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot broad jump.

I do know he's weighed in at over 220-222lbs more than once, and played at that weight. Incedently, that's a very good vertical. According to NFLDraftScout Hairston has also run a 4.49 - 40, and his average 40 time equals out to 4.55, which is pretty fast for a back his size.

Last edited:
This analysis seems overly optimistic to say the least. I would be stunned if anyone other than Meriweather is on the active roster for a single game.

I agree with your analysis.

....Brandon Meriweather should, by virtue of having first round talent, have the inside track on winning a roster spot. Does anyone remember why BB liked him so much (hint: it begins with a "V")? For those who need help the word is versatile. Which other draftees/UDFAs have the most versatility?

Brown: How do you get 11.5 sacks as a DL? You play a one-gap penetrating style. Wilfork's nick-name coming out of Miami was "baby-sapp" for the current icon of the one-gap DTs - which is what Miami develops. It took Vince about half-way into his 2nd season before the light started coming on in the Pats' 2-gap NT role. Brown will be competing against LeKevin Smith who actually played more of a 2-gap at Nebraska and showed well enough to land on the 53 last season, Santonio Thomas, a fellow Miami alumnus and teammate, who played well in preseason last year, and Marquis Hill for that back of the roster spot. He was taken in the fourth round in a weak draft, let's not overrate him before seeing him play in New England's defense. As for projecting him to take Mike Wright's slot...what Special Teams does Brown play? This kid needs to show a basic grasp of 2-gap for NT and DE to compete with Mike, who is a STs stalwart. Take a deep breath and hope one of the DT needy teams is willing to offer a conditional 7th for Hill or Thomas toward the end of Training Camp before thinking this kid is a lock of any sort.

Oldenburg: The Patriots' Football Weekly staff compared him to Tom Ashworth. Taken at face value that means he starts out on the Practice Squad and develops as a Swing Tackle while cross-training at OG, blocking TE, and short yardage FB. He may be capable of being a part of the wedge and could be on the Punt team. Comparing 296 lb. college LT Oldenburg to 330 lb. college RT O'Callaghan is just a tad enthusiastic at this point.

Rogers: Versatile comes into play here. This is a kid who theoretically could play on both coverage units and both return units, throw in the occasional passing down rep at DE for fun. Woods started that way last season, while Mays spent half the season on the Practice Squad before joining the 53. That gives him a slim chance.

Richardson: Both coverage units, he will probably cross-train as a returnman. If he can compete with Willie Andrews and Antwain Spann he's got a shot, more likely a Practice Squad shuffle man.

Hairston: A "younger version of Dillon?" The kid needs to gain 15 lbs. to reach Cory's "listed" playing weight, not to mention his 2-300 yard games came at a lower level than the NFL, let alone BCS. Draft euphoria certainly hasn't settled around here yet. He should be able to compete for coverage and return teams, and maybe as a returner, then he might push Sammy. Practice Squad is a more reasonable guess in May.

Hilliard: Big-12 swing tackle with shaky footwork, good on traps and counters. Sounds like a move inside to OG with cross-training at OT. He may be capable of being part of the wedge. He's fighting Elgin and Barthelmes for the Practice Squad or the Shadow Roster/Practice Squad reshuffle.

Lua: Two-down run stuffer for the time being, he needs to get it done on the coverage and return units, or play well above his draft slot when he gets ILB reps. Hopefully he can follow in Mays' footsteps and fight his way onto the 53 by mid-season.

Elgin: He's fighting Barthelmes and Hilliard for the Scarnecchia Academy OC/OG Practice Squad scholarship, or a Shadow Roster/Practice Squad shuffle.

Gutierrez: He's actually got the shortest path to walk.

Norden: Good blocker, TE's getting hurt, he's fighting Kranchick for the Practice Squad, assuming Kranchick has eligibility left.

Anam: CB/FS/SS/STs Ace, this kid has the V-word working for him.

Warren: Another two-down run stuffer, he's reportedly not as skilled at stacking and shedding as Lua. He's got to do it on Special Teams too.

West: Wright did it on Special Teams, can he?

- There are 17 DB vying for 9-10 slots.
- There are 11 LB vying for 9-10 slots.
- There are 8 OC/OG vying for 4 slots.
- There are 6 OT vying for 4 slots.
- There are 5 TE vying for 3-4 slots, with two FB cross-training.
- There are 3 QB vying for 2-3 slots.
- There are 3 P vying for 1 slot.
- There are 10 DL vying for 7 slots.
- There are 10 WR vying for 5-6 slots.
- There are 7 RB/FB vying for 3-5 slots.
- There is 1 non-competitive position, PK.

Of all the rookies who do I think has the best shot? Barring injury and based strictly on the numbers, Gutierrez. After that, Rogers, Lua, and Warren in that order. Based on versatility, Meriweather, Rogers, Richardson, and Anam. Based on injury replacement depth, Oldenburg/Hilliard, Rogers/Lua.

And all that is just wild speculation in May anyway.

Speculation, i guess.
If "wild", then it's the most persuasive i've seen.

I'm going with this as my scorecard to help tell the rookies apart.

Rounds 1-4 are locks for the final roster, except for either injuries or bizarre circumstances.

The thing about Brown, however, is that he projects to DE rather than NT. Now, what actually seems to happen is that everybody is an NT his rookie year -- Seymour, Warren, and Wright come to mind, and even Green played some NT early on. So maybe he'll become the #2 NT right away too.

But if he doesn't, he may not make much of a contribution, as there are four guys who could hang on ahead of him at DE.

As for Meriweather, he and Wilson are competing for all the FS reps, plus the loser is contending for backup SS with Sanders and nickelback (and backup FS and CB) with everybody. I'm guessing Meriweather will win partway through the season, unless injuries get so bad again that both are playing full time as a matter of course. And I'm guessing Wilson will win a bunch of reps even so.

Yea, he was 210lbs at the combine, but he was also 6'1" (on the nose).

At his Pro Day:

I do know he's weighed in at over 220-222lbs more than once, and played at that weight. Incedently, that's a very good vertical. According to NFLDraftScout Hairston has also run a 4.49 - 40, and his average 40 time equals out to 4.55, which is pretty fast for a back his size.
My bad, a senior moment, but the size is definitely a plus, and yes, I did like his vertical.

This analysis seems overly optimistic to say the least. I would be stunned if anyone other than Meriweather is on the active roster for a single game.

+1

10 chars

I'm still trying to get up to speed on all the picks - but my take is that BB was brilliant by trading draft picks for higher 2008 picks.

As some have pointed out nearly all will have a heckuva time making the active roster. That's a product of a fully stocked team able to win the SB before the draft more than a commentary on the rookies.

Given that fact, it wouldn't matter if we had ten 3rd round draft choices - they would have had a tough time making the active roster - best to trade the picks for better value next year when there might be more opportunity on the team.

So instead of attempting to squirrel away mid round picked players on the Practice Squad where they'd likely be scooped off, BB trades many away and re-stocks his practice squad with UFAs - all of whom are selected and agree to come here because they fit, know there's more opportunity, and have a strong incentive to work hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back