PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Of the rookies, who do you think has a shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestpatsfan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
The dust has settled and now we have had a chance to get to know a little about the newbies on the team, so I thought we should discuss what people think these rookies can do for the team. I will start.

Brandon Meriweather: While I don't think Meriweather will be a "starter" I think he will be on the field alot. I think he can play some slot corner and safety. depending on what wilson shows this year, he could take over for him as well.

Kareem Brown: I think Brown brings versatility to the D-line. Brown will fight it out with LeKevin Smith and even Mike Wright and win. Brown needs to put on a little weight on to be Wilforks backup, but he is well built to help out Seymour and Warren as well.

Clint Oldenburg: Clint is a lot like O'Callahan to me just a little more raw. Will play right tackle and depending on O'callahans health and Kaczur's development, Oldenburg could have a shot but most likely a PS or inactive type guy.

Justin Rogers: Rogers is an interesting player, while I don't see him on the active roster this year, he looks to have the qualities to be a good project at linebacker. I did read that he did very well in the workout drills and he is extremely smart, so maybe with some time under Bruschi he could be the heir apparent. I am more excited about him after doing some research.

Mike Richardson: Obviously with Belichicks conection to Weis, there must have been some positive feedback on him. He tested out really well in drills and seems to be a workout warrior. IIRC I believe he had the fastest 3 cone and shuttle of everyone. He did play a lot in college as well, so we will see if he has what it takes to make this team, I think he is more of a PS guy for now.

Justice Hairston: I love this kid! He is big and fast! Not ellusive, but ultra productive. Seems to have some decent hands as well. I honestly think by the end of this year, sammy morris will be a non factor and Hairston will be a younger version of Dillon.

Corey Hilliard: Hilliard seems to be a project pick with potential. He will be in Scarneccia's school of young lineman and a practice squad guy.

Oscar Lua: Here is the 2 down linebacker we needed. I think if Lua can stay healthy, he could honestly play some this year. Smart, Aggressive, does whatever he has to to win. Lua does not have ideal size but plays beyond his talent, a real scrapper that has a real chance.

Mike Elgin: See Hilliard. Has versatility, would have rather taken Scott Stephenson with this pick, but we will see if he can hang on, PS maybe, but most likely gone.

UDFA
I like guettirez (sp?) as a developing 3rd qb. He has the same qualities as Brady and Cassell and should fit in well into this system. Hopefully he can develop like Cassell has.
I also like Warren as another developmental LB. He has nice size and good speed, we shall see if he can develop skills to play.

I would bet that Merriweather becomes a starter this year, and pretty fast.

That is the definition of a Bill belichick first round pick

The dust has settled and now we have had a chance to get to know a little about the newbies on the team, so I thought we should discuss what people think these rookies can do for the team. I will start.

Brandon Meriweather: While I don't think Meriweather will be a "starter" I think he will be on the field alot. I think he can play some slot corner and safety. depending on what wilson shows this year, he could take over for him as well.

Kareem Brown: I think Brown brings versatility to the D-line. Brown will fight it out with LeKevin Smith and even Mike Wright and win. Brown needs to put on a little weight on to be Wilforks backup, but he is well built to help out Seymour and Warren as well.

Clint Oldenburg: Clint is a lot like O'Callahan to me just a little more raw. Will play right tackle and depending on O'callahans health and Kaczur's development, Oldenburg could have a shot but most likely a PS or inactive type guy.

Justin Rogers: Rogers is an interesting player, while I don't see him on the active roster this year, he looks to have the qualities to be a good project at linebacker. I did read that he did very well in the workout drills and he is extremely smart, so maybe with some time under Bruschi he could be the heir apparent. I am more excited about him after doing some research.

Mike Richardson: Obviously with Belichicks conection to Weis, there must have been some positive feedback on him. He tested out really well in drills and seems to be a workout warrior. IIRC I believe he had the fastest 3 cone and shuttle of everyone. He did play a lot in college as well, so we will see if he has what it takes to make this team, I think he is more of a PS guy for now.

Justice Hairston: I love this kid! He is big and fast! Not ellusive, but ultra productive. Seems to have some decent hands as well. I honestly think by the end of this year, sammy morris will be a non factor and Hairston will be a younger version of Dillon.

Corey Hilliard: Hilliard seems to be a project pick with potential. He will be in Scarneccia's school of young lineman and a practice squad guy.

Oscar Lua: Here is the 2 down linebacker we needed. I think if Lua can stay healthy, he could honestly play some this year. Smart, Aggressive, does whatever he has to to win. Lua does not have ideal size but plays beyond his talent, a real scrapper that has a real chance.

Mike Elgin: See Hilliard. Has versatility, would have rather taken Scott Stephenson with this pick, but we will see if he can hang on, PS maybe, but most likely gone.

UDFA
I like guettirez (sp?) as a developing 3rd qb. He has the same qualities as Brady and Cassell and should fit in well into this system. Hopefully he can develop like Cassell has.
I also like Warren as another developmental LB. He has nice size and good speed, we shall see if he can develop skills to play.

This analysis seems overly optimistic to say the least. I would be stunned if anyone other than Meriweather is on the active roster for a single game.

I would bet that Merriweather becomes a starter this year, and pretty fast.

That is the definition of a Bill belichick first round pick

Merriweather is our man!
He's mad.

theres alot of talk about moving eugene wilson to corner. then let meriweather take over at FS week one...depending on how he does during mini and training camps.

This analysis seems overly optimistic to say the least. I would be stunned if anyone other than Meriweather is on the active roster for a single game.

Kareem Brown will likely be on the active roster, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him as one of the main backups.

The Patriots have already told Lua they intend on him being an immediate contributor, and Pioli said Lua was their sleeper pick, who he believes is like Cassel.

We'll see, but I think the original poster is pretty close to reality.

The Patriots have already told Lua they intend on him being an immediate contributor, /QUOTE]

Where did you see that?

I generally agree that the only way any of the picks besides Kareem and Brandon make the active roster would be on Special Teams (that's why the 3 OL are head scratchers to me). That said, I hope to see as many of them as possible make it on ST because that's how young players develop.

The Patriots have already told Lua they intend on him being an immediate contributor,

Where did you see that?

I generally agree that the only way any of the picks besides Kareem and Brandon make the active roster would be on Special Teams (that's why the 3 OL are head scratchers to me). That said, I hope to see as many of them as possible make it on ST because that's how young players develop.

I've heard this from other sources, but seneschal2 originally posted this article that contained the fallowing:

"How gnarly was that?" said Lua, who had 26 unanswered messages on his cell phone an hour after his selection at approximately 1 p.m. "It's a good deal. My family's happy. My mom is a little sad because I'll be on the other side of the map."

Throughout the process, Lua has been contacted regularly by the Patriots, and Lua thought he could get drafted in the later rounds.

"Through the whole process, they showed a lot of interest," said Lua's father Gabriel. "In the last days, the Patriots were the most interested."

But when Lua saw the Patriots had four picks in the sixth round and none of those were used to select him, he got a little worried.
"They waited a round, probably hoping to get me as a free agent," Lua said. "But the prior round, there was a few linebackers taken, so they probably wanted to avoid losing me to the Saints, Giants, or Dolphins."

One of the perks for Lua is that he will get to play behind All-Pro linebacker Tedy Bruschi, in whom Lua sees a lot of himself.
Lua, at just under 6-1 and who played at 250, is about the same size as Bruschi.

"He's not the biggest or the fastest, but he makes plays," Lua said. "There's a tremendous amount of knowledge you can learn from.
"That's amazing, an incredible feeling, knowing I will be sitting in a room with Tedy Bruschi and maybe Junior Seau and being part of the Patriots."
Although Lua will be an apprentice to Bruschi, the Patriots told him they expect him to have an impact right away.

Meriweather and Brown. Otherwise - quite a few will make the p.s.

I'll say Meriweather, Brown, and Richardson (fastest 3 cone in the draft, Pats almost always have health issues in the secondary).

If Lua contributes his rookie year, that's a heck of a value for a 7th round pick. Sounds like the Pats are pretty excited about his prospects as well.

Last edited:
Most of them will make it one way or another, either on the 53 or on the practice squad. If more than three are gone completely when the season starts I'll be surprised.

I've heard this from other sources, but seneschal2 originally posted this article that contained the fallowing: Although Lua will be an apprentice to Bruschi, the Patriots told him they expect him to have an impact right away.

What else would they tell him? "You're probably going to end up on the practice squad and be snatched up by a crappy team with more roster holes"(?)

Last edited:
Other than Meriweather, I can't see any other rookie contributing

very much on game days. I do think more rookies will make the team

than the two or three projected by some forum members. I think

Meriweather, Brown, Oldenburg, Rodgers, Hairston, and Gutierrez will

make the team along with either Lau or Warren. The other draftees plus

Anam will make the practice squad. I believe the Pats will only carry

8 offensive lineman and will depend on the practice squad for reserves.

Mike Reiss said that Gutierrez was the Pats' choice if they had drafted a

quarterback. It's probably time to groom a young quarterback since

Cassel is in his next to last year of his contract.

Last edited:
I think Merriweather,Lua and Richardson will last somewhere on the roster/PS

If Lua contributes his rookie year, that's a heck of a value for a 7th round pick. Sounds like the Pats are pretty excited about his prospects as well.

Just curious as how come you don't include Tory James on your offseason transactions in your sig? Don't think he's worth it?

The roster at Patriots.com lists 79 players, add 5 known UDFA/tryout signings and the Pats would be over the 83 player limit (80 off-season roster + 3 NFLE exemptions) if the draftees where signed. 53 + 8 (in-season roster + practice squad) = 61, that's 23 known Pats' signees/draftees to trim.
The dust has settled and now we have had a chance to get to know a little about the newbies on the team, so I thought we should discuss what people think these rookies can do for the team.
Brandon Meriweather should, by virtue of having first round talent, have the inside track on winning a roster spot. Does anyone remember why BB liked him so much (hint: it begins with a "V")? For those who need help the word is versatile. Which other draftees/UDFAs have the most versatility?

Brown: How do you get 11.5 sacks as a DL? You play a one-gap penetrating style. Wilfork's nick-name coming out of Miami was "baby-sapp" for the current icon of the one-gap DTs - which is what Miami develops. It took Vince about half-way into his 2nd season before the light started coming on in the Pats' 2-gap NT role. Brown will be competing against LeKevin Smith who actually played more of a 2-gap at Nebraska and showed well enough to land on the 53 last season, Santonio Thomas, a fellow Miami alumnus and teammate, who played well in preseason last year, and Marquis Hill for that back of the roster spot. He was taken in the fourth round in a weak draft, let's not overrate him before seeing him play in New England's defense. As for projecting him to take Mike Wright's slot...what Special Teams does Brown play? This kid needs to show a basic grasp of 2-gap for NT and DE to compete with Mike, who is a STs stalwart. Take a deep breath and hope one of the DT needy teams is willing to offer a conditional 7th for Hill or Thomas toward the end of Training Camp before thinking this kid is a lock of any sort.

Oldenburg: The Patriots' Football Weekly staff compared him to Tom Ashworth. Taken at face value that means he starts out on the Practice Squad and develops as a Swing Tackle while cross-training at OG, blocking TE, and short yardage FB. He may be capable of being a part of the wedge and could be on the Punt team. Comparing 296 lb. college LT Oldenburg to 330 lb. college RT O'Callaghan is just a tad enthusiastic at this point.

Rogers: Versatile comes into play here. This is a kid who theoretically could play on both coverage units and both return units, throw in the occasional passing down rep at DE for fun. Woods started that way last season, while Mays spent half the season on the Practice Squad before joining the 53. That gives him a slim chance.

Richardson: Both coverage units, he will probably cross-train as a returnman. If he can compete with Willie Andrews and Antwain Spann he's got a shot, more likely a Practice Squad shuffle man.

Hairston: A "younger version of Dillon?" The kid needs to gain 15 lbs. to reach Cory's "listed" playing weight, not to mention his 2-300 yard games came at a lower level than the NFL, let alone BCS. Draft euphoria certainly hasn't settled around here yet. He should be able to compete for coverage and return teams, and maybe as a returner, then he might push Sammy. Practice Squad is a more reasonable guess in May.

Hilliard: Big-12 swing tackle with shaky footwork, good on traps and counters. Sounds like a move inside to OG with cross-training at OT. He may be capable of being part of the wedge. He's fighting Elgin and Barthelmes for the Practice Squad or the Shadow Roster/Practice Squad reshuffle.

Lua: Two-down run stuffer for the time being, he needs to get it done on the coverage and return units, or play well above his draft slot when he gets ILB reps. Hopefully he can follow in Mays' footsteps and fight his way onto the 53 by mid-season.

Elgin: He's fighting Barthelmes and Hilliard for the Scarnecchia Academy OC/OG Practice Squad scholarship, or a Shadow Roster/Practice Squad shuffle.

Gutierrez: He's actually got the shortest path to walk.

Norden: Good blocker, TE's getting hurt, he's fighting Kranchick for the Practice Squad, assuming Kranchick has eligibility left.

Anam: CB/FS/SS/STs Ace, this kid has the V-word working for him.

Warren: Another two-down run stuffer, he's reportedly not as skilled at stacking and shedding as Lua. He's got to do it on Special Teams too.

West: Wright did it on Special Teams, can he?

- There are 17 DB vying for 9-10 slots.
- There are 11 LB vying for 9-10 slots.
- There are 8 OC/OG vying for 4 slots.
- There are 6 OT vying for 4 slots.
- There are 5 TE vying for 3-4 slots, with two FB cross-training.
- There are 3 QB vying for 2-3 slots.
- There are 3 P vying for 1 slot.
- There are 10 DL vying for 7 slots.
- There are 10 WR vying for 5-6 slots.
- There are 7 RB/FB vying for 3-5 slots.
- There is 1 non-competitive position, PK.

Of all the rookies who do I think has the best shot? Barring injury and based strictly on the numbers, Gutierrez. After that, Rogers, Lua, and Warren in that order. Based on versatility, Meriweather, Rogers, Richardson, and Anam. Based on injury replacement depth, Oldenburg/Hilliard, Rogers/Lua.

And all that is just wild speculation in May anyway.

I think

Meriweather, Brown, Oldenburg, Rodgers, Hairston, and Gutierrez will

make the team along with either Lau or Warren. The other draftees plus

Anam will make the practice squad. I believe the Pats will only carry

8 offensive lineman
Wow, you have a higher regard for Oldenburg than I do. I think they will carry 9 Ollinemen and none of them are Oldenburg.

here are mine:

Light
Neal
Koppen
Mankins
Kaczur
O'Callaghan
Hochstein
Yates
Britt

I take it you will cut Yates and Britt to make room for Oldenburg on your 8?

The roster at Patriots.com lists 79 players, add 5 known UDFA/tryout signings and the Pats would be over the 83 player limit (80 off-season roster + 3 NFLE exemptions) if the draftees where signed. 53 + 8 (in-season roster + practice squad) = 61, that's 23 known Pats' signees/draftees to trim.Brandon Meriweather should, by virtue of having first round talent, have the inside track on winning a roster spot. Does anyone remember why BB liked him so much (hint: it begins with a "V")? For those who need help the word is versatile. Which other draftees/UDFAs have the most versatility?

Brown: How do you get 11.5 sacks as a DL? You play a one-gap penetrating style. Wilfork's nick-name coming out of Miami was "baby-sapp" for the current icon of the one-gap DTs - which is what Miami develops. It took Vince about half-way into his 2nd season before the light started coming on in the Pats' 2-gap NT role. Brown will be competing against LeKevin Smith who actually played more of a 2-gap at Nebraska and showed well enough to land on the 53 last season, Santonio Thomas, a fellow Miami alumnus and teammate, who played well in preseason last year, and Marquis Hill for that back of the roster spot. He was taken in the fourth round in a weak draft, let's not overrate him before seeing him play in New England's defense. As for projecting him to take Mike Wright's slot...what Special Teams does Brown play? This kid needs to show a basic grasp of 2-gap for NT and DE to compete with Mike, who is a STs stalwart. Take a deep breath and hope one of the DT needy teams is willing to offer a conditional 7th for Hill or Thomas toward the end of Training Camp before thinking this kid is a lock of any sort.

Oldenburg: The Patriots' Football Weekly staff compared him to Tom Ashworth. Taken at face value that means he starts out on the Practice Squad and develops as a Swing Tackle while cross-training at OG, blocking TE, and short yardage FB. He may be capable of being a part of the wedge and could be on the Punt team. Comparing 296 lb. college LT Oldenburg to 330 lb. college RT O'Callaghan is just a tad enthusiastic at this point.

Rogers: Versatile comes into play here. This is a kid who theoretically could play on both coverage units and both return units, throw in the occasional passing down rep at DE for fun. Woods started that way last season, while Mays spent half the season on the Practice Squad before joining the 53. That gives him a slim chance.

Richardson: Both coverage units, he will probably cross-train as a returnman. If he can compete with Willie Andrews and Antwain Spann he's got a shot, more likely a Practice Squad shuffle man.

Hairston: A "younger version of Dillon?" The kid needs to gain 15 lbs. to reach Cory's "listed" playing weight, not to mention his 2-300 yard games came at a lower level than the NFL, let alone BCS. Draft euphoria certainly hasn't settled around here yet. He should be able to compete for coverage and return teams, and maybe as a returner, then he might push Sammy. Practice Squad is a more reasonable guess in May.

Hilliard: Big-12 swing tackle with shaky footwork, good on traps and counters. Sounds like a move inside to OG with cross-training at OT. He may be capable of being part of the wedge. He's fighting Elgin and Barthelmes for the Practice Squad or the Shadow Roster/Practice Squad reshuffle.

Lua: Two-down run stuffer for the time being, he needs to get it done on the coverage and return units, or play well above his draft slot when he gets ILB reps. Hopefully he can follow in Mays' footsteps and fight his way onto the 53 by mid-season.

Elgin: He's fighting Barthelmes and Hilliard for the Scarnecchia Academy OC/OG Practice Squad scholarship, or a Shadow Roster/Practice Squad shuffle.

Gutierrez: He's actually got the shortest path to walk.

Norden: Good blocker, TE's getting hurt, he's fighting Kranchick for the Practice Squad, assuming Kranchick has eligibility left.

Anam: CB/FS/SS/STs Ace, this kid has the V-word working for him.

Warren: Another two-down run stuffer, he's reportedly not as skilled at stacking and shedding as Lua. He's got to do it on Special Teams too.

West: Wright did it on Special Teams, can he?

- There are 17 DB vying for 9-10 slots.
- There are 11 LB vying for 9-10 slots.
- There are 8 OC/OG vying for 4 slots.
- There are 6 OT vying for 4 slots.
- There are 5 TE vying for 3-4 slots, with two FB cross-training.
- There are 3 QB vying for 2-3 slots.
- There are 3 P vying for 1 slot.
- There are 10 DL vying for 7 slots.
- There are 10 WR vying for 5-6 slots.
- There are 7 RB/FB vying for 3-5 slots.
- There is 1 non-competitive position, PK.

Of all the rookies who do I think has the best shot? Barring injury and based strictly on the numbers, Gutierrez. After that, Rogers, Lua, and Warren in that order. Based on versatility, Meriweather, Rogers, Richardson, and Anam. Based on injury replacement depth, Oldenburg/Hilliard, Rogers/Lua.

And all that is just wild speculation in May anyway.

According to Reiss NE had 90 players on the roster heading into training camp last season, did they change the roster limits after '06?

Unless Brown falls on his face, he'll be a lock for the 53 man roster. I don't think NE would cut their second pick in the entire draft without giving him time to develop, and they wouldn't put him on the practice squad because another team would grab him up in a heart beat. Pioli said he was surprised Kareem lasted that long, which tells me they might think he's more talented than where they picked him. Also, I've watched him play, and he's better than some on here have stated (much like Meriweather before the draft).

I'm not sure about the O-Linemen, and we'll see how many make the practice squad or the roster. Right now I'd think maybe one impresses and sticks, while another makes the practice squad, and the other is cut.

Would they give Rogers reps at DE, when they want to covert him to OLB/ILB?

Your opinion of Richardson seems close to what I'm thinking, but I'm waiting to see what he does in training camp and preseason.

Hairston doesn't need to gain 15lbs to reach Dillon's listed playing weight. Hairston weighs 222lbs. The profiles you are seeing listing him at 210lbs are giving an old weight. Dillon is listed at 225lbs. I'm not going to say Hairston is the next Corey Dillon because I have no clue how effective he'll be in the NFL.

FWIW Justin Warren was a good coverage man at A&M, and Lua was a good special teamer at USC.

Last edited:
I think Merriweather,Lua and Richardson will last somewhere on the roster/PS

I don't think there should be any "I think Meriweather will last somewhere on the roster/PS". If NE's first round pick (who I think is very talented) can't make the 53 man roster than Scott Pioli needs to give it up. Seriously, unless Meriweather tuns into a complete d-bag he's a complete lock for the final 53, and I expect he'll be the starting FS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back