PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Odds of league disciplining Jets

KY Pats Fan

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
What are the odds that the league will fine and or suspend Colon and/or Ferguson? And specifically Mangold for the blatant cheap shot at trying to injure Talib?

It will be interesting. I would think of the three, Colon is the only with a significant risk of suspension. There is precedent for not getting suspended for putting your hand on an official, but it's usually when it's not of the aggressive variety -- and that was somewhat aggressive. I think his defense needs to be he was trying to shove someone else not the official and he just accidentally contacted the official. That actually seems like it might be true -- or at least that he was just acting out of rage and not paying attention. If the league, however, concludes it was a ref and acted intentionally, he'll get suspended. You can't do that.

Mangold doesn't have a long history of supplemental discipline. I think his intent is fairly obvious on the tape, but since it happened in the flow of the game and Talib wasn't seemingly injured, my guess is it will be a relatively minor fine, like $10k or $15k. There is some chance the league may take a pass.

Punching another player seems to be $7k for the first offense if you do it with an open hand and up to $15k if it's more malicious. Lots of precedent. I would think Ferguson will be in that neighborhood.

I would think the odds would be a certain lock that they get some discipline.

All three incidents and getting ejected are not new circumstances and I dont know the exact prescedent for each but I would think there isnt much getting around it.

I would thinks Mangolds cheap shot would be the lower offense and would likely lie in between his last fine and the 100,000 dollar fine Suh just got leaning toward the smaller side as I dont think Mangold is a noted repeater like Suh.

I am not sure if bumping a ref and throwing a punch each done by seperate Jets resulted in subsequent suspensions or just the ejections but I am sure fines are coming. It would be a little BS if no suspension was levied as their ejections were mute with the game only having meaningless seconds left but whatever.

What are the odds that the league will fine and or suspend Colon and/or Ferguson? And specifically Mangold for the blatant cheap shot at trying to injure Talib?

I'd say nil. Mangold's hit didn't look particularly intentional as Talib went out of bounds and twisted kind of strangely. Even Tailib just jumped up (with some help from Matt Patricia) and ran away celebrating. The worse offense was practically the entire Jets bench rushing across to our side of the field (I think that's what BB was yelling about), but since it was BB who was most offended by that and the league hates BB, they won't do anything.

The only thing that maybe the league will do something about is whichever of Colon or Ferguson pushed the official to the ground in that scrum. They'd better nip that in the bud.

I'll go with 25k a piece for fighting, 25k for Mangold and a suspension of 1 game for the knockdown. I really, really look forward to the Jet fans conspiracy theories for each of the punishments. The mean league is targeting the poor Jets again.. Damn Pats :D

They'll all get fined, and Colon should probably be suspended for a game.

They're already getting a head start.

The NFL just fined Jets safety Dawan Landry $21,000 for unnecessary roughness. Landry struck Tampa Bay Bucs WR Mike Williams in the head and neck area in week one.

Mangold will be fined somewhere about $7875 that is the fine Lavante David got for his hit on Geno.

The 2 ejected players should expect bigger fines. The NFL should take note from a few other sports make it if you are ejected you automatically miss the next game. At the end of the 4th when the other team can take a knee to finish the game 15 yards and being ejected for zero plays is not costing the team.

I say 15k min each. I doubt any suspension of the almightys fav team.

I think that they are going to be drawn and quartered but that is just my opinion.

:)

Mangold will be fined somewhere about $7875 that is the fine Lavante David got for his hit on Geno.

Mangold will get far more of a fine. He has the double whammy of a fine for hitting a player late out of bounds AND hitting a player at the knee level. If he did either one of those, he would get a fine. Since he did both, he is going to get a significant fine (relatively). He will likely get a $20-30 range. Maybe more. Dashon Goldson got $30k for a head shot. A knee shot will get a similar fine.

D'brick 1 game + fine.

Colon HUGE fine + x number of games (he pushed 1 ref over and pushed another away from him when he was walking away from the fracas back to the Jets bench.

Mangold 20k.

If Colon gets suspended, it'll be as much because of this as because of the shove on his way into the scrum (which is what got the flag on him):

colon-b_crop_exact.jpg

He also shoved the ref who tried to remove him from the scrum.

And the rulebook is clear on this:

Note 1: Under no condition is an official to allow a player to shove, push, or strike him in an offensive, disrespectful, or unsportsmanlike manner. Any such action must be reported to the Commissioner.

^ exactly, he's going to get double the punishment. If the Ommish wanted to send a message, Colon would be sitting the rest of the year too.

In fact, in some sports making contact with an official is a life ban at all levels of the sport.

Minor fines 100% This league fines for sox too high.

Suspensions 0.0% Unless the NY based media makes a stink (it has not so far) the media driven commissioner will ignore this until it goes away - oh look, Eagles vs. Chargers!:)

Edit: Oh, should they? They are the Jets. They should all be castrated.:)

OK, seriously. There is film of certain players throwing punches and hitting refs. Each should get 1 game MINIMUM.

I don't think that will happen, though.

Said it in a couple other threads:

Mangold - Fined.
Colon - 1-2 game suspension
Ferguson - 1-2 game suspension

My guess is that they all get the minimum fines for their respective penalties, and that Colon gets a one game suspension for shoving a ref. I don't see the NFL going overboard on this one.

Schefter is reporting fines only.

Schefter is reporting fines only.

Going to have to agree with Florio (that's something new!) if you only fine players for getting ejected, what's the deterrent for players to just get themselves ejected at the end of a game when there's nothing to lose?

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back