Welcome to PatsFans.com

Odd Story: ''Rape of Nanking' Vanishes from Taiwan Textbooks

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Feb 13, 2007.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/...vanishes_from_revised_Taiwan_history_textbook

"The 'Rape of Nanking,' an important part of modern Chinese history, has disappeared from Taiwan's revised history textbook, a newspaper said on Sunday. The United Evening News said the textbook from one publishing house has ommitted mention of the World War II atrocities committed by the Japanese in China, while the textbooks from four publishing houses only make a brief reference to it."
    ----------
    How about some international news, everyone? It's on the front pages of some major international papers. I find this story really odd, and it reeks of Japanese influence. The Japanese have refused to admit or apologize for any of its WWII crimes, and denies that the 'Rape of Nanking' ever happened. The Japanese are doing what Holocaust deniers did. I just don't understand why Taiwan would hide something like this instead of emulating what Jewish survivors did after WWII.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +428 / 12 / -26

When my daughter was in Jr. High in the 90's, she had a brand new American History text book published about the same time, took a look, there was only about 3 paragraphs on the civil rights movement and the Viet Nam war. IMO these are two very significant events in my life that have shaped the way a lot of us think, and were harbingers of change.. without regard, before we criticize other countries texts we should take a look at our own.

3. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Well, that explains somewhat why Japan hides its history from its students. It's just plain weird that Taiwan would do this.