Welcome to PatsFans.com

Oct Surprise:Activist Judges Block Arizona Voter I.D. Law

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by italia44, Oct 19, 2006.

1. italia44

italia44 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

One month before the Nov elections,the
    loony-left 9th Circuit Court of Appeals has issued an injunction blocking the implementation of the 2004 Arizona Prop 200 law.

This law,passed overwhelmingly by over a million voters,requires proof of citizenship in order to register to vote.

It has been in effect since 2004 and was implemented successfully during this years Sept.primary.

Barely,one month before the general election on Nov 7,the ultra-liberal 9th
    Circuit issues an injunction blocking the law.Appeals to this decision will take months,effectively killing it for the election.

The only recourse the good citizens of AZ have is to make an "emergency" appeal to the Supreme Court.
    Emerg.appeals for the 9th are heard by Justice Anthony Kennedy.Advocates for democracy demand this be done without delay,in order that the rights' of millions of Arizona voters,not be hijacked by this "Kangaroo" Court.

On the plus side,in the last session,the Supreme Court has overturned the 9th Circuit......drum roll.......75 PERCENT of the time!
    The highest reversal rate of any Federal court in the country.

Again,the ultra-liberals have used an "october surprise' in an attempt to subvert the democratic process.

The 9th,based in Nancy Pelosi's home town, is a disgrace.

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -13

Hopefully this get to the Supremes to suspend this ruling pending a full review. Amazing they want to disregard the peoples will to have honest elections and not have their votes negated by illegal votes.

3. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The Constitution does say no poll taxes of any kind, the judge didn't make that up. Do they give out free ID's to everyone who wants one in AZ?

4. italia44

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There is no cost involved.The law says that you can show a government issued photo I.D. or 2 pieces of non-photo I.D.(birth certif,SS card,medicaid,
    medicare card,etc.)
    They used this during primary and had no problems.

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +270 / 11 / -11

The law would most likely disenfranchise the elderly, poor, illiterate, disabled, and immigrants by making it more difficult for them to vote and discouraging them from registering. We have a low-enough voter turnout as is.

It's the racist fantasy that millions of illegals regularly jeopardize their already vulnerable status by voting illegally. According to Wikipedia, "the opposition to Prop. 200 was made up of a bipartisan group of elites. Senator John McCain (R), Senator John Kyl (R), Governor Janet Napolitano (D), the Arizona Republican Party, the Arizona Democratic Party, the Green Party, the Libertarian Party, the AFL-CIO, and other bi-partisan elected officials and organizations were all opposed to Protect Arizona Now."

I'm not against penalties for illegal voting, but to make it more difficult for people to register and subject those who try to register people to the threat of legal action is clearly racist. Now, if the bigots were sincere in fighting voter fraud, they should call for automatic registration when one gets their Social Security number or even birth certificate.

6. italia44

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

tsk,tsk,patters.....

you're "inadvertently" leaving out the reason for the opposition of these "elites" and special interests.

1.Prop 200 requires individuals to produce proof of citizenship before they may register to vote or:
    "apply for public benefits"

2.The Proposition also makes it a misdemeanor for public officials to to fail to report persons unable to produce documentation of citizenship who apply for these benefits and allows citizens to sue for remedies.

In other words,public officials,unions,
    advocates and others who knowingly bypass the provisions of the law:
    "can be sued for damages".
    Hence,the reason the "elite" oppose this.

3.56% of registered voters approved this.

4.Despite the claims that the initiative was racist or anti- latino.......
    are you sitting down?

exit polls found that 47% of LATINO VOTERS voted IN FAVOR of the initiative.

Illegal immigration is costing arizona and the rest of the country BILLIONS of dollars in illegal benefits,voting fraud and incarceration costs.

Come here,work hard,apply for citizenship,vote your conscience,and obey the laws of your new country.

anything else is just anarchy.

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380 / 11 / -28

What is the source of your rant?? Need to establish some credibility of the source of this before everyone gets into a s..t fight.

8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I can't imagine some Mexican bothering to float him or herself across the Rio for the privilege of deciding who gets to be the next mayor of Tuscon. I wonder why the voting and benefits issues were bolted together so unnaturally?:rolleyes:

9. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +102 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

This would be a good law in Philadelphia, I know that the AFL-CIO has the mapped route for people to vote early and often for CASEY and RENDELL. Of corse this would never happen when you have the most corrupt mayor in the US running the city.

The lefties will always be aginst anything were you could get caught voting more than once, or not even have to be registered.

10. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

A lot of people don't have those documents, often through no fault of their own. It would be different if we had mass voter fraud, but this is a solution looking for a problem. You're also not being honest when you say that they used this during the primary and had no problems. Who had no problems? I bet some people turned away at the poll booth, or ones that didn't bother coming out because they couldn't produce an ID thought there were problems.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +270 / 11 / -11

You conveniently avoided my main point, Italia. If you're worried about illegals voting, then make voting rights automatic based on getting a U.S. birth certificate or Social Security number. Prop 200 simply makes it more difficult to register to vote and to enage in voter registration activities. It's part of the right-wing effort to discourage voting by the poor, elderly, disabled, and immigrants who may not speak English well. I am aware that many Latinos supported the measure, but why do you think that's important? Would it be like telling you many racists also supported the measure? LOL.

12. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

By the way, there's a mistaken belief here that only citizens get to vote. Only citizens can vote in federal elections, but any legal resident (including green card holders) can vote in their local elections.

13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +540 / 6 / -2

What a joke. ACCOUNTABILITY. Typical liberal position, no one should be expected to be repsonsible for themselves. We should bring the ballot box to their houses so that their vote will count. HA!

ILLEGALS = CRIMINALS

Regardless of who opposed Prop 200 (including you're republican friend), the PEOPLE overwhlemingly voted FOR IT.

Racist fantasy? Thank you for making my point from my other post. The second the GOP were to pass SANE policy on immigration, you looser tards on the left would scream racism. Thank you.

Say what? Why is it racist? (Dems playing the race card again, surprise surprise) So asking for an ID to frickin vote is racist? HAHAHAHA! When you go to the bank and they ask you for an ID is that racist?

Automatic what? HAHAHA! What the fugg, is the government your biitch or something? You lefty tards make me want to vomitt sometimes. People need to be accountable for themselves. You want to vote, YOU go register. You want to drive a car? YOU go get your license. What the fugg is wrong with you people? Oh yeah, that's right, I almost forgot. The left wants the government to do everything for everyone so that they become completely dependent on it. If people actually had to do things on their own, and of their own accord, loony leftists would be out of business. HA!

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +540 / 6 / -2

Bullshiit. People need to be accountable for their shiit. I'm sick and tired of the excusism that is fast growing amongst the american public. I can't fathom how anyone could expect to walk up to a voting station and not have to produce ID. Voting is a fugging priviledge. They ask you for your ID at the fugging bank, anyone complain?

What a bunch of illogical excusists we're becoming. It's like the idiots who try to tell me that illegals don't get social services. HA! You wanna vote, you need to prove who you are.

15. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Voting is not a priviledge, it's most definately a civil right. And that's why it's different from opening a bank account, or driving a car.

16. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -13

These requirements are no different tanthe requirements for SS or goverment assistanence or different for cashing gov checks for that matter.

This makes it no more difficult to vote than cashing a check in a grocery store.

Your assumption that those who would like to stop voter fraud are bigots is extremely arrogant and frankly bigoted in itself.

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +540 / 6 / -2

You're a maroon. See, you Dems need the retarded voter. The more dependent people are on govenrment, or the dumber some goof is, the more likely they are to vote for you. EVERYTHING is left or right to you. Of course, with everything bad being right wing, and everythign good being left. Opinions from people like you are virtually irrelevent. You are the Gerry Callahan of the Left wing.

My fugging parents are immigrants. NO ONE silver spooned them when they came here. They didn't speak english, registered to vote on their own, and vote in every election, national and local. Please. You loons are an embarassment to everything this country was founded on.

18. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The right to cash a check in a grocery store without having to pay any kind of poll tax - including the cost of an ID - isn't protected by the constitution. Don't like it? Change the constitution. I would hate to see activist judges just ignoring parts of that document, wouldn't you?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  19. Patters

Ratings:
    +270 / 11 / -11

Calm down, Real World. Unfortunately, you and I different not only in tone -- you are rude, angry, and offensive -- but also in substance. I think our government should do all it can to promote voting, even making voting mandatory (and having a no vote option). You favor the more conservative approach of disenfranchising people. If we're going to have democracy, let's make sure all our citizens and legal residents vote. That to me is the bottom line. I guess I'm just pro democracy. If you don't like democracy, so be it.

20. Real World

Ratings:
    +540 / 6 / -2

It's a priviledge. You have a right to vote, just like you have a right to drive a car, or a right to be stupid. But voting is a priviledge. You can't demand to vote, you have to go and do it, by registering & showing up on election day.