PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O'Connell and Hodel released, Pats down to 75

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it was pretty clear.

Using injury to define draft clunkers is moronic, in my opinion. I'm sorry, but assigning status as a result of injury is not the same as assigning status as a result of a player sucking at the NFL level despite having his full health.

Yes, I am. Then again, I live in a place called 'reality'. Redmond helped the team win a Super Bowl. Hobbs was a starting cornerback beginning in his rookie season. Kaczur was, and continues to be a starting right tackle. Thomas is still on the team. Tate was clearly a flier pick and will be given time to develop. McKenzie just suffered a season ending injury after being drafted.

The only true 'busts' in the round have been Scott and O'Connell. Anyone who can't handle a better than 50% hit ratio on 3rd round picks simply doesn't understand how the NFL draft works.

I'm sorry to interject, but J.R. Redmond sucked. Bethel Johnson contributed far more to the 2003 and 2004 title teams, and he is roundly considered a bust 'round these parts.

One average (Kaczur) and below average (Hobbs) starter, plus a second string or third string TE, is not a very impressive record over 10 years. The jury's still out on 2009, though, I'll give you that - some potential talent there if injuries can be overcome.

Irony, writ large.

Actually, as noted in my posts with Box, I conceded Scott rather than argue about him with you. However, the fact is that he did, indeed suffer from injuries. He missed his entire rookie season due to an injury suffered after signing. Using your rubric ("we can exclude Brock Williams from this discussion because I don't think he ever recovered and he was not injured when drafted"), he's not a bust.

That doesn't make him a bust or a bad pick, only potentially so in your eyes.

Thomas, not a bust, per your concession. Crable has the potential to be one, in your eyes, but can't possibly be considered one yet.

So, using your own arguments,

Williams - Not a bust
Thomas - Not a bust
McKenzie - Clearly not yet a bust
Tate - Clearly not yet a bust
Scott - Not a bust
Crable - Not yet a bust
Redmond - Not a bust, or at least not mentioned as one here

Using your own arguments, there is not a single 3rd round draft pick taken by Belichick that can 'officially' be considered a bust besides O'Connell (Unless you stretch Redmond into that postion. I wouldn't have a problem considering him a disappointment/bust, particularly given the circumstances of that first draft, but I give him props for helping the team win the Super Bowl). Given that I agree that picking O'Connell was an odd choice, and that I didn't like the pick, there's really nothing left but for you to admit your initial post was wrong and wildly off the mark.

Hell, Williams has already gone from "unmitigated disaster" to "not a bust".

Nice try, but I'm not backing off my original post. It's just a question of whether and where you assign blame. "Bust" implies that the player himself and/or the braintrust drafting the player screwed up somehow. I said that Williams, Scott and O'Connell were unmitigated disasters and they were exactly that.

Williams -- not his fault or BB/Pioli's fault because I don't think he ever recovered from injury. Still, his career with NE was nothing short of an unmitigated disaster.

Scott -- He got healthy eventually and they still cut him, right? If so, bust. If not, I still don't think you can call his career in NE anything other than an unmitigated disaster.

O'Connell -- Bust by anyone's definition.

Crable -- Not yet a bust, but I would not be at all surprised to see him gone by next year (as I said in my OP).

McKenzie and Tate -- See Crable. I hope they get healthy and pick up next year at their peak level before their respective injuries. But I'm not holding my breath.

I said that Williams, Scott and O'Connell were unmitigated disasters and they were exactly that.

Williams -- his career with NE was nothing short of an unmitigated disaster.

Scott -- I still don't think you can call his career in NE anything other than an unmitigated disaster.

Some of these great disasters were mitigated somewhat by Super Bowl victories.

Since KOC is now cut i think we need a reliable and proven back up QB. Hopefully Jay Feeley will be available. He gave the Patriots alot of problems so i think he can be a key back up for us. Congrats to Ingram for solidifying the Long Snapper position.

So I guess Dexter Reid must have been a 4th round heist because the Pats won a SB with him. Got it.
As far as your points today, I haven't seen that you have much of anything but a touchy trigger finger. The Patriots suck, their front office sucks, life sucks, and people who think you should reduce caffeine intake and contact a suicide hotline suck. It's a truly entertaining mantra, bit overdone in recent years though.

As far as your points today, I haven't seen that you have much of anything but a touchy trigger finger. The Patriots suck, their front office sucks, life sucks, and people who think you should reduce caffeine intake and contact a suicide hotline suck. It's a truly entertaining mantra, bit overdone in recent years though.

My deepest apologies. I thought the title of this thread was "O'Connell and Hodel released." Apparently, I should have been posting in this thread as if it were entitled "Patriots are the greatest, their front office is the greatest, I love life (especially on patsfans.com), and health and wellness experts and the Samaritans are all peachy keen."

Please substitute the foregoing quote in place of each of my posts in this thread and again accept my deepest apologies for raining on your happy parade.

Last edited:
I can't believe they released Hodel.

She was pretty cute, especially without make-up and whatnot.

1202831428-62861_full.jpg

My deepest apologies. I thought the title of this thread was "O'Connell and Hodel released." Apparently, I should have been posting in this thread as if it were entitled "Patriots are the greatest, their front office is the greatest, I love life (especially on patsfans.com), and health and wellness experts and the Samaritans are all peachy keen."

Please substitute the foregoing quote in place of each of my posts in this thread and again accept my deepest apologies for raining on your happy parade.
Apology accepted, now do please stop wailing and gnashing your teeth about a team that has yet to play one regular season game - seriously, have you confused this team for Oakland or the NYJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes