PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ocho Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck to Chad with the rest of his career. I think he still has some decent years left in him. Just not here I guess. I'll be the first to admit that I was pretty excited about the signing and was hoping for some good things out of him but it just wasn't in the cards. It says a lot about the Patriots and their system and how not just anyone can jump in and learn it which also makes it so hard to defend.

As far as being cut after restructuring? I think this is the only instance I can remember or have knowledge about. Then again, we've never had this amount of talented Wr's in one camp either. Something had to give here.

Aside from all of the rhetoric, really liked Chad..

But for some reason he shyt the bed big time here.. too bad.

I think its disappointing, because the best result would have been that he played well enough to make this a better team. I don't think, however, that we will be sitting around lamenting that he was the missing piece.
I don't get the feelings of joy. Any player that is a Patriot I want them to have the best year of their life, and cutting anyone is a lost opportunity, albeit one that is replaced by another player.

85 is now 86

Hate to say... well not really but this is the first time that I was actually happy we cut a player.

Wait, no. This is the 2ND time, the first was Adalius Thomas. :D

Last edited:
Its too bad. He genuinely really wanted to be here and succeed. Unfortunately it did not turn out to be a good move for either side. I am sure they both understand the practical reality but will still have high respect for each other.

I love how the Ocho whores are spinning his perceived positives right to the bitter end.

"He tried hard" LOL

The Pats gave him 6 million dollars.
The salary or draft position any team takes a player in is not the player's fault. Holding a grudge against a player for the team's decision isn't a particularly bright notion.

A lot of us had it figured out and took heat for it.

Some really came to resent him. Others were just sick of hearing about him. I always said he didn't have a malicious bone in his body, but he just couldn't help himself or his team despite being a talented receiver when it came down to it because he was so focused on being the entertainer. He didn't act out here and I figured he never would. He said himself he knew he couldn't or it would be his last shot in the NFL. He cost a 4th and 6th round draft pick and $6M that could have been put to better use including funding a Welker deal... People biatch about Brady or Welker or Branch or whomever not getting it done in February. Well, maybe if they'd had another viable outside the #'s WR on the roster who was worth the investment they made in 85... So please spare me the no harm no hard feelings blather... I wish him no ill. Just instinctively knew he wasn't a system fit.

I agree with pretty much all of this. Which is why my frustration was not so much with Ochocinco, who seemed to at least make a serious effort to make things work, as with the organization for making the trade in the first place. I never thought 85 would be a fit, either from a personality or from a system perspective. Getting him was a non-trivial investment in terms of draft picks, salary, and not pursuing other options. The 2011 FA WR group wasn't particularly strong, but there were other options available - such as Donte Stallworth, who cost Washington all of $810K to sign, and who had prior experience with the Patriots system. The money and draft picks could have been used elsewhere, and the benefit to the team would likely have been greater. There were other options as well. But collectively the FO and coaching staff thought that Ochocinco was the best option to upgrade the WR group. Taking some risks is ok, but Ochocinco was a relatively high cost high risk gamble from the outset, and I wonder why such a collectively smart and experienced group of football personnel thought he was a good investment.

No, it was another giant patsfan.com poster flub because posters want to be the guy who breaks the big news...

No it wasn't....I hardly EVER post threads...EVER...I caught the break at 2 pm from Munanski and Merloni and posted what they had to say as I was going out the door for the rest of the day. Just put out there what was not up on the board at the time...why you go all ballistic about a simple thread at Pats fans like it is somehow this gigantic affront to your fragile sensibilities is beyond my rather limited understanding...BTW, which one of your crack "inside" sources finally convinced you he was released?...never mind, I wouldn't be able to wade through the 1000 word response anyway...

Sorry for Ocho. I hadn't expected a whole lot from him but, I wanted him to succeed simply because, you could tell he was elated to be a member of the Pats. I'm not happy to see him fail.

Good luck Chad.

So much for those guys who've been arrogantly LECTURING us that there's no WAY he'll get cut!!
jester.gif

Having had my chuckle...

Good Luck, Brother Chad. I know you'll continue to lead a rich and rewarding Life. :cool:

I don't know if anyone's asked this but does anyone think Hernandez will take #85 back??

So much for those guys who've been arrogantly LECTURING us that there's no WAY he'll get cut!!
jester.gif

Having had my chuckle...

'Those that think Chad will get cut obviously have no understanding of how the Patriots work, such a move would spell disaster to any hopes of signing a quality free agent':rofl:

I remember this one tosser at the end of 09 arguing that Maroney was the Pats RB of the future and that to trade Moss at that point would destroy the entire offense.

I don't know if anyone's asked this but does anyone think Hernandez will take #85 back??

I think he wanted 81 all along because it was his college number but couldn't have it in 2010 because of Moss.

Last edited:
All right, what do I win? I had Ocho in the "Whose your surprise cut of the season?" sweepstakes! And although he might not have been a total surprise, I certainly beat the rest of you to the punch!

:rofl:

Sorry, Deb, but that's just PATHETIC!!
jester.gif

The surprise would've been if CJ DIDN'T get cut.

You are DQ'd, my friend. :eek:

81 was his college number, he didn't get it because Randy had it prior to him. He will stick with 81.

Ocho just did not get our offense. He'd end up at the wrong place at the wrong time. Never got on the same page as Brady. Good luck at your next stop. You just didn't fit in here. So does this mean that Gaffney has won the #3 spot?

The salary or draft position any team takes a player in is not the player's fault. Holding a grudge against a player for the team's decision isn't a particularly bright notion.

The team didnt tell Ocho to go on twitter, write Roger Goodell or have a reality TV about his life. No amount of foolish excuse making will change what a disaster Ocho was a Patriot.

The team didnt tell Ocho to go on twitter, write Roger Goodell or have a reality TV about his life. No amount of foolish excuse making will change what a disaster Ocho was a Patriot.
Yet the team traded for him and paid him a handsome sum. How's that Ocho's fault? It didn't work out. That's the simple reality. The terms of acquisition and remuneration isn't Ocho's fault, the lack of production and inability to grasp the playbook most certainly is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back