PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ocho Cinco and BB

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Chad Ochocinco wrote a book. And I read the whole thing! - Rick Reilly - ESPN

His refreshing candor, so rare in the NFL. For instance ...

... his explanation of why he doesn't block: "What good is it for me to start throwing my body around with all those guys who are bigger than me?" Exactly.

... his endorsement of New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick. "Spygate, my ass," he says. "The Patriots are good, but there's a reason why they are winning even though everybody is over age 50. It's the f---ing coaching. It ain't no secret."

... how his own boss, Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis, doesn't measure up. "[Lewis] doesn't have control of the football team the same way Belichick has control. No way."

I don't know what to say.

On the one hand, he comes off well because he doesn't kiss and tell, rat on all the people he's played with, which is typical for these books. Heck Joe Torre did that.

So he decides to be the most megalomaniacal athlete in history instead. To sell books? Will that sell?

If only half of the claims he made were true, I don't want him around the Patriots. I really don't beliebe him.

I lol'd at the "everybody is over 50" part. Good stuff.

I'd love to see '85' playing here!

I'd be nervous how long an intense working relationship between BB and Chad would last, but I'd trade even for him with Galloway.

... his explanation of why he doesn't block: "What good is it for me to start throwing my body around with all those guys who are bigger than me?" Exactly.

And that is in a nutshell is why I wouldn't want him here. Even Randy Moss (who's jockstrap you can't carry) and Wes Welker (who's smaller than you) block here. It's part of the job description.

It's not about relative size, hell... it's not even totally about blocking. And it's certainly isn't about what's best for you alone Chad.

Chad, It's a team thing. You wouldn't understand.

Last edited:
Chad has always been a huge BB supporter, one of the first guys to defend him after SpyGate.

I think he's great. He performs on the field and the only victim of his antics are himself, usually via fine.

Last edited:
Ouch! I wonder what Marvin Lewis will have to say about those comments?:eek:

The only time I know of when BB dissed an opponent was when he called Chad (tongue in cheek) the best holder in the NFL. The two would make a great comedy team.

Chad has always been a huge BB supporter, one of the first guys to defend him after SpyGate.

I think he's great. He performs on the field and the only victim of his antics are himself, usually via fine.

Yes he has antics but no he does have DUI's, substance suspensions (see Faulk and Rodney) or beat up his girl friend. He has fun, yet is serious about his craft. I think BB is smart enough to see through the other stuff. It seems that what ever he says is in fun but yet true. He knows he can get a ring here but not in Cincy.
His jousts with management are not unlike Sey or any other high caliber player.
He is probably right about his present coach.
He is a sure handed intermediate threat who runs good patterns that could give the Pats three layers of WR talent (short, mid and long). Could you imagine how much pressure would be off Welker and Moss to rotate to his side when he is hot? You can cover Joey with one deep saftey because he won't go to the middle or catch the sort pass and run for yards.

If we could trade for him he has got at least three more good years.
Moss and Brady are two years older than he.

This year has been a pleasant surprise for the Pats in some aspects. Next year could be stronger with a first rounder and three 2nd rounders. You add a WR like Chad along with Brandon Tate, pick up some LB talent (especially pass rush) and a full time cow bell running back or gets some FA talent and 2010 can be better.

Your 2009 holes are WR, ILB, OLB pass rusher and a 22-25 touch per game RB (perhaps a punter). It still boggles my mind why not Tony Gonzales this year but I can't make up my mind on the TE situation. It is hot and cold.

Add just a little to this years team and it only gets better in 2010.

DW Toys

Last edited:
I'd be nervous how long an intense working relationship between BB and Chad would last, but I'd trade even for him with Galloway.

I don't. Chad is the type of guy who flourishes under disipline IMHO. I used to see it in the military. When a guy doesn't have a lot of disipline in his background, they sometimes crave it. He's very respectful to BB and BB is to him. That goes a long way. I also know that Chad is a momma's boy at heart. They did one of those expos on him a few years back.

It's a little like Randy IMHO. Randy strikes me as a very bright person who doesn't have much tollerance for people who don't get things as quickly as he does. I believe that's why Randy likes it here. He's challenged and feels that he's being led by bright people.

Can't wait to see him suiting up for the Pats next season. He's a free agent right?

how he calls Lewis and other coaches at 3 a.m. to discuss game strategy, civilities be damned. "Their wives might not like it, but I don't care. They got to deal with that, not me."

While this comes off as harsh, his commitment to the game, and film study is likely a large part of what makes him so appealing to BB. Frankly, I'd rather have players who are up at 3am going over the game plan, than players who are out partying, doing drugs, and beating their wives/girlfriends at that time of night.

And that is in a nutshell is why I wouldn't want him here. Even Randy Moss (who's jockstrap you can't carry) and Wes Welker (who's smaller than you) block here. It's part of the job description.

It's not about relative size, hell... it's not even totally about blocking. And it's certainly isn't about what's best for you alone Chad.

Chad, It's a team thing. You wouldn't understand.

Chad Johnson might block if he thought his team had a chance to win meaningful games.

Chad Johnson might block if he thought his team had a chance to win meaningful games.

Didn't he have a chance to opt out like a year or a few years ago?

Didn't he have a chance to opt out like a year or a few years ago?

On April 20, 2006, Johnson signed a contract extension. The deal ran through 2011.

He was drafted in '01, and I believe he had a 5 year rookie deal. (although I'm not sure), which would mean he still had a season left under the deal when he signed his extension.

Also, the Bengals were coming off an 11-5 season at that point, and he really hadn't been a problem. He's only been a problem the last 2 years or so, and frankly, him being a problem is about the most overhyped crap in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes