PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ochmed Jones Final Mock Draft: Brockers, Reyes, Irvin, Boykin, Minnifield, Mosley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ochmed Jones

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This has been a tough year to get a handle on for a mock draft. The biggest problem is the lack of players with first round grades. This is causing players with 2nd round grades, ie: Barron, Tanneyhill, Perry, Merilous, etc. to be overvalued and potentially wreak havoc on figuring this out.

So I went back to the basics and stuck with what the following:
1.) BB takes three down players in round one.
2.) BB projects very little in round one.
3.) BB currently has 74 or so players signed, very little chance for developmental prospects to make this roster.

Team Needs:

1.) 3-4 DE
2.) Free Safety
3.) 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB pass rusher
4.) OT with the retirement of Light and Vollmer's balky back.

#13 DE Brockers LSU (trade #27 and #48) no secret I think Brockers projects as a player with Seymour potential.

#31 trade to Philly for #46 and #88 Got to have the annual Philly/New England trade

#46 DE Reyes Uconn - People think BB will double up at safety, I think D line.

#62 - OLB Irvin West Virginia - I struggled between him and Curry of Marshall, but at the end of the day, this kid is the most sudden player in the draft. We desperately need to get off the field on third down, so that means sudden.

#88 - CB Boykin of Georgia - Speed! And a really good Kick returner. Shortens the field for the offense. Plus adds versatility as a CB, RB and WR.

#93 - FS Minnifield of Virginia - I see Minnifield as a physical player and I think he projects better as a free safety than CB. I was torn between him and Martin, but in the end I think minnifield has better tape.

#126 - OT Mosely Auburn. Former JUCO TE who did really well in the rough and tough SEC. Nasty!

Last edited:
re: Ochmed Jones Final Mock Draft: Brockers, Reyes, Irvin, Boykin, Minnifield, Mosley

I like the fact that it's different. Brockers there is a bit rich for me, and I can't see Boykin (whom I like a lot) getting past pick 60 or so. The Philly trade sounds about right too. Do you have a player in mind they might be targeting?

re: Ochmed Jones Final Mock Draft: Brockers, Reyes, Irvin, Boykin, Minnifield, Mosley

My first thought is that we replaced Carter and Anderson with Scott. That's a sizable downgrade. The DL on the other hand returns starters Love, Deaderick and Wilfork while adding Fanene, figures to be upgraded. IMO you underestimate how big a hole (yes a legitimate hole, not just a position that needs depth) DE / OLB is.

I won't deny Brockers has potential through the roof. But if we're gonna go up that high might as well get Cox who will be a much better player this year and still has a high ceiling.

Virginia CB Chase Minnifield reportedly underwent a microfracture procedure concurrently with a knee scope after the 2011 season.The procedure was performed on a non-weight bearing bone. Minnifield entered the season as a top-45 prospect, but he's been on a steady decline due to knee problems. Rotoworld draft guru Josh Norris doesn't expect the son of former Browns star cornerback Frank Minnifield to go off the board until Round 4 at the earliest. Apr 20 - 12:42 PM

Chase Minnifield - College Player - 2012 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

IF you can get Boykin at #88, that is a steal. He is a very good corner, an even better return guy, and plays WR. He is a little small but he does not play small, he will hit you.

That's alot of needs covered in one guy.

My first thought is that we replaced Carter and Anderson with Scott. That's a sizable downgrade. The DL on the other hand returns starters Love, Deaderick and Wilfork while adding Fanene, figures to be upgraded. IMO you underestimate how big a hole (yes a legitimate hole, not just a position that needs depth) DE / OLB is.

I won't deny Brockers has potential through the roof. But if we're gonna go up that high might as well get Cox who will be a much better player this year and still has a high ceiling.

I dont see it as a downgrade if you think the Pats are going back to a 3-4. Then the 4-3 DE position takes less value on this team. I understand we play a lot of nickel, but the position is still downgraded.

I like the fact that it's different. Brockers there is a bit rich for me, and I can't see Boykin (whom I like a lot) getting past pick 60 or so. The Philly trade sounds about right too. Do you have a player in mind they might be targeting?

I agree it's too rich. Of course BB might see Brockers as a guy who can start the next 10 years for him, but I think there are still question marks.

I would be happy with the draft if it ended up like that though.

I think Philly comes back up for Harrison Smith the safety.

OJ, you broke BB's first rule - Round 1 is for 3 down players. Brockers wasn't a 3 down player at LSU let alone in the NFL. Your Seymour reference might be a good one.....eventually, but certainly not for 2012. IMHO Brockers is a questionable decision at 31, but one I might be willing to take. Using picks to trade up to get at best, a one down player for this season, just makes no sense.

I don't hate the idea of trading up for an impact player, but the one you chose is the wrong one. Sorry. Think about it, if you keep the picks you are likely to get Still AND McCellin, or Mercilus and Reyes BOTH are much better options than a single player who is currently VERY one dimensional.

As to the rest. I'd go with Curry over Irvin, who seems to be Aaron Maybin II, but with character issues. But if Curry wasn't an option, he's worth the risk at that spot.

I like Reyes in the 2nd if we haven't picked up a DE/DT by that time. But I'd take Still before him.

Boykins seems to becoming a popular choice in the 3rd, but I just can't get out of my head all the midget CBs who have failed recently. I really don't want any more

However Minnefield in the 4th is good value. He was thought to be a solid 2nd round talent, if his surgery drops him to the late 4th he'd be a good value. He's not the height I like but he's physical and can play in the middle as well.

If we have a 7th pick I'm fine with it being an OT of your choice. But I'm on record for thinking 7 picks are 2 too many, given our current roster situation. JMHO

Last edited:

I like Cox a lot as a player, but I doubt he is available at #13, I think he goes top 10.

I'd be very pleased with this mock.

Though I don't think we'll trade up for Brockers. If he comes to us, I'd consider. But I can't see Belichick trading up instead of down in this draft.

Other than that, love it. Love the idea of doubling up on the line with Brockers and Reyes. And Boykin is one of my binkies. Then you have Irvin as a nice rotational piece. Great draft.

Last edited:

I dont see it as a downgrade if you think the Pats are going back to a 3-4. Then the 4-3 DE position takes less value on this team. I understand we play a lot of nickel, but the position is still downgraded.

If we go back to 3-4 then the hole simply moves to the OLB spot not occupied by Nink. Scott has 1.5 sacks over the last 2 years (26 games).

If we go back to 3-4 then the hole simply moves to the OLB spot not occupied by Nink. Scott has 1.5 sacks over the last 2 years (26 games).

I think that going forward, the days of the full time 3-4 defense are over. I see BB going as much as possible to a hybrid defense that is able to morph from the 3-4 to the 4-3 based on personnel.

It's not the same player selection I would make in some cases but if that was the draft they had I'd feel like we improved and had the potential to become a great defense again.

I think that going forward, the days of the full time 3-4 defense are over. I see BB going as much as possible to a hybrid defense that is able to morph from the 3-4 to the 4-3 based on personnel.

Isn't a 3-4 technically a hybrid defense the way BB utilizes it? The OLBs sometimes line up as a DL or sometimes drop back into coverage. You just never know. That's why so many teams have adopted it.

I think the sub is as much a base package nowadays. quality players in a sub package are just as likely to be first rounders as base starters, particularly one's like Brockers who don't translate well as pass rushers.

This has been a tough year to get a handle on for a mock draft. The biggest problem is the lack of players with first round grades. This is causing players with 2nd round grades, ie: Barron, Tanneyhill, Perry, Merilous, etc. to be overvalued and potentially wreak havoc on figuring this out.

So I went back to the basics and stuck with what the following:
1.) BB takes three down players in round one.

Sorry but this draft and your analysis is awful. You say BB only takes 3 down players, Brockers won't be a 3 down player initially. And t he fact you rubbish Barron's ability yet move up to #13 to take a 'project' is laughable.

2.) BB projects very little in round one.

#13 DE Brockers LSU (trade #27 and #48) no secret I think Brockers projects as a player with Seymour potential.

OK, run this reasoning by me again? ;)

I like a lot of your thinking with these picks, but I don't get the "projecting" part. If you're willing to trade up to #13 overall for a redshirt sophomore with only one season of production, then you don't mean "projects very little" in terms of requiring experience and multi-season consistency. But if you mean positionally, then Mankins and Wilfork come to mind as significant positional projections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back